Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Is DH dead ?
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

dont seem to see the guys with 200mm full suss bikes around much these days ? and most bike shops dont stock them ! whats your thoughts 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

You obviously don’t hang around in the right places. They are everywhere, at DH venues, obviously.

kimbers

more DH uplifts in the UK than ever before I reckon

antur stiniog etc, of course it can be ridden on a trail bike but the blacks are proper fun on a big bike!

fort william world cup DH seemed a wee bit popular this year

sharkattack

DH is massif!

Ever increasing amounts of DH specific venues means they don’t have to milk the descents in trail centres maybe?

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I do see up lifts; but what about a race series for us ?

grahamt1980

Lets face it, full on dh bikes are a pretty niche market so not exactly many shops will sell them.
    But yeah loads of people still have them, as Kimbers say’s loads of uplifts around and you see some awesome monster bikes on them.

sharkattack

Where are you? You can find DH races anywhere in the UK surely.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

maybe people are riding on shorter travel bikes these day ?

mikey74
    Free Member

Aston Hill is pretty chocca with them too, and no uplift there.

banks
    Free Member

sell plenty of dh parts but dh bikes tend to be on off builds, not off the peg.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

i’m sure that its riders riding shorter travel bikes more and getting away with it ! even bike park wales had more all mountain rigs to be honest !

danielgroves
    Free Member

I know stacks of people running 8″+ travel DH bikes down this way (Plymouth).

st

Plenty of big bikes on our hill, its not even that big of a hill (Stile Cop, Cannock Chase)

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

whats the point ?

cakefacesmallblock

DH seems alive and well in the Marches.

Lifer
    Free Member

richieokeefe1 – Member
    whats the point ?

What’s your point?

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

first off I was just saying that not many DH bikes about anymore so thought it might of died off , and why do you need 8 inch of travel in plymouth ? just my opinion to be honest ….much love 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

maybe your not looking in the right places – dh tracks?
    BC DH Events
    Roots & Rain Events

danielgroves
    Free Member

why do you need 8 inch of travel in plymouth ?

You seen Gawton? Some big stuff there, and there’s other stuff around. DH isn’t my style though.

scaredypants

Is DH dead ?

I thought you meant … him – the northwest’s finest purveyor of imaginary bikeparts

ddmonkey

Red Bull don’t seem to think so – great live coverage of the World Cups this year.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

yes redbull was good but i’m talking about the average jo

chvck
    Free Member

Are you asking is dh dead or are dh bikes dead? Answer is no either way.

legend
    Free Member

Just to throw this one in there – the DH scene in Scotland certainly isn’t what it once was. Innerleithen uplifts rarely fill (they used to fill two buses every time, with reserves) and the SDA have been struggling to fill spaces too (and have been close to cancelling races).

Scottish Enderpo’s on the other hand are doing very well

fervouredimage
    Free Member

whats the point ?

Why didn’t you just say that in the first place then instead of farting around with your initial query? What you wanted to ask was ‘what’s the point in big burly long travel DH bikes these days when ‘all mountain’ bikes will suffice?’.

DH isn’t dead, big DH bikes aren’t dead and people ride downhill on downhill bikes cause it’s fun.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

your twisting my words now ;0

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Legend when was the last time you booked inners uplift? I know that the last couple haven’t sold out but all summer and autumn if you didn’t book early you missed out. DH in Scotland and I’m sure in the UK is big and busy and has a shitload of new and improving riders.

Bike shops still sell dh bikes. It has probably had as much media coverage as ever this year.

nwill1
    Free Member

Sports like DH will never be ‘dead’ they just go through ups & downs, I think that the advancement in technology means that there’s a lot of people ridding DH tracks on ‘Do it all’ bikes often as quick as on full DH rigs (jarad graves on his SB66c etc) but you see a good number of DH bikes if you rock up at popular spots.

Northwind

It’s not dead but, I reckon it’s less separate than it was… Lots more people realise it’s not some mad thing that Other People do on special bikes that they don’t have, it’s just mountain biking. So yeah, there’s less pyjamas and boxxers and race signups seem to be down, but a lot of uplifts are rammed. The big barrier to entry was never money or kit, it was just understanding. Maybe it’s a shame to lose that distinctive character but it’s got to be good for riding in general.

Sadly I can’t get out of this thread without saying it’s Because Of Enduro. It’s at least partly true.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Alive and kicking I’d say, still lots of activity on Facebook groups etc for DH tracks and races. DH will remain the glamour event which we want to watch the Pro’s taking on. Something more mundane probably appeals to most of us in terms of potential participation.

legend
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member
    Legend when was the last time you booked inners uplift? I know that the last couple haven’t sold out but all summer and autumn if you didn’t book early you missed out. DH in Scotland and I’m sure in the UK is big and busy and has a shitload of new and improving riders.

About 5 weeks ago, and there was space for single uplifts for each run. Since then there have been multiple posts from Tally on Facebook saying he was cancelling uplift days or was going to have to cancel if more people didn’t book on soon.

SDA entry numbers this year went 295, 171, 120, 170, 223, 233. That doesn’t make good reading

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And the SDA were scurrying about trying to get numbers up for races last year, indeed, at one point it looked as if there wasn’t going to be an SDA series this year.

Northwind is right, and by speaking to mates of mine that work in bike shops, there’s no getting away from the fact that the massive up in so called ‘enduro’ bike sales is having a direct effect in sales of DH bikes.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Yet the BDS and Pearce series both sold out in a matter of hours…

Look at the welsh DH/Trail centres – when I was back in Aug/sept I struggled to get on uplifts, Antur, Revs, bike park all booked up a month in advance and prob 70% DH bikes / 30% Enduro/Trail/All Mountain* bikes.

I guess the reduction in DH bikes you see is the sheer capability of the 160mm travel AM bike these days, I left my V10 in the UK when I cam back to oz this time as other than some of the real big gaps there is nothing I can’t ride on a Nomad. I’ll keep the V10 for going to steeper more rocky / ‘gnarly tracks that need a bit more travel to hit at a reasonable pace.

(*delete as applicable for buzz description of the month)

JCL
    Free Member

I live an hour and a half from Whistler. A bunch of guys I know have sold there DH bikes and won’t be replacing them. Modern AM bikes are so much fun to ride that it doesnt feel like your missing out not riding a pure DH bike. Plus people here want to race and DH racing is crap VFM compared to XC and Enduro.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’m about to acquire a nice DH bike… definitely not dead for me.

scottfitz
    Free Member

No the race scene in the south has never looked so busy.
    Loads of venues new and old, of the top of my head this year.

Tavi woods
    Gawton
    FoD
    Gravity Project venue 1
    Gravity Project venue 1
    QECP
    PORC
    Bull track
    Combe Syd
    Tidworth
    Rogate
    Uk bike park
    Aston hill

That’s 13 venue with 40 plus races and that’s just in the south. Southern Downhill is very much still alive!!

scruff
    Free Member

Rizla,
    what you getting?

If you think its dead go to on of the many Pearce Shropshire venues, its rather popular.

Yes 160 bikes are better and could be used for mild DH / bikeparks now.

Maybe SDA is less popular as the BDS has gotten a bit better?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Speaking of Aston Hill, was there Sunday. Now I know where all the old skool bikes go to die…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

dont seem to see the guys with 200mm full suss bikes around much these days ? and most bike shops dont stock them ! whats your thoughts

160/170 bikes like mega/alpine/soda/etc have stolen a load of ‘big bike’ customers… Me, for one – I could barely justify getting a big full sus bike TBH, only if it could also pedal OK and cope with some regular XC/trail centre ups as well as downs, which ruled out a full on DH rig, as much as I’d like one.

Diane
    Free Member

The uplift at Inners on Sunday was 70% to over subscribed (Despite Tally’s initial concerns) think folk like the idea of single runs sometimes.

Whilst the SDA has been struggling (Enduro must have taken it’s toll) we mostly have about 90 up and coming little rippers participating in our ‘Mini’ DH events (Held on proper courses) at Innerleithen Mountain Bike Racing. So the future’s bright for technical riding whether it be DH or Enduro. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Is DH dead ?’ is closed to new replies.