Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Is cycling your only form of exercise?
  • francob80
    Free Member

I’ve come from a playing football at a half decent standard from the age of 11 to 31, retired from football 3 years ago (now 34) due to hip problem and started road running 3-4 times per week but unfortunately this flares my hip issue up too so I’ve converted to a MTB as much less stress on the legs.

Philby

Regular 50+ mile road rides most Saturdays with random rides when time and mood allow. Doing a lot less MTB than previous years. I’m a home-based freelancer but cycle regularly around town to meetings etc. as quicker than walking or car. Also do a weekly circuits session at the local gym as well as weights, spin and yoga classes. Also regularly use the pool at the gym.

Would love to run again, but not sure my knees would agree.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No, but perhaps if it was, I wouldn’t have one arm bigger than the other.

iainc

A typical week will be couple of rides and a big swim sat morn whilst youngest in in his lesson. The swimming really helps me as I have joint problems (hypermobility) and perma achy.

Coyote
    Free Member

It used to be but it started becoming a chore.

Now do gym 5 time a week for exercise and bike for fun. Works better for me that way.

Bregante

No, I also do something that I laughably describe as “running”

dobo
    Free Member

I like to mix it up a bit and do a bit of road mtb and cx but actually run more than cycle these days as like to take part in obstacle course races like tough mudder which is coming up in october. to help with the OCR i also do some body weight exercise and ocasional swim. never go to the gym these days, my exercise is free, but the events are £££

Rorschach
    Free Member

I spend 15-18 hours a week on the bike.Too knackered/not enough time to do anything else!!!

jonba
    Free Member

I ride all sorts and commute which probably adds up to 15h per week.

I also do a reasonable amount of hill walking (a couple of times a month), pilates and horse riding. Mainly because these are things my wife and I enjoy together. She rides horses a fair bit so I try and go once a week just so I can keep up on longer/harder/fun stuff.

slowoldman

BillMC – Member
    Morris dancing is quite a good workout

Yay. Foot up.

carlosg
    Free Member

I’m a postie so do about 5 miles a day at a fairly high pace(enough to get sweaty anyway) at home I have a 9 year old and a 3 year old who both put the duracell bunny to shame so get plenty of exercise with them.

I crawl into bed most nights!!!!

posiwev
    Free Member

Nope, as well as mtbing, I do circuit training, x fit, tabata, boot camp and spinning, keeps me occupied when I’m working away..!

seadog101

No, a spot of running, and the evil that is Concept2 (at work), WaterRower (at home). Maybe chuck some weight around too, but I hate that.

JCL
    Free Member

I do some heavy planking every evening. Keeps my core hard and increases my staying power.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Cycling is my main exercise and I’m really missing my daily 25 mile commute. Just sorting a new route that should take me up to a minimum of 12miles and am going to get my power kite out of storage for some upper body work.
    I hate runnng and gym work so not too certain on what else to do..

senorj

Cycling & 2 year old boy wrangling are my only exercise.
    My knees are shot at, one from football in my twenties & one from a nasty bike fall in my forties. 🙁

miketually
    Free Member

Totted up what I’m doing each week because of this thread. Commuting, plus running, plus Mefafit comes in at 8 hours per week during term-time. During term-time I’m also on my feet at work for at least 23 hours per week.

raisinhat
    Free Member

My commute is pretty short (10 miles total), so I hit the gym and do crossfit 4 nights a week, and yoga once a week. Crossfit is properly full on, lots of heavy free weights and WODs where you collapse afterwards. It’s done a huge amount for my strength and fitness (especially upper body!) and it pays dividends back into my cycling.

stever
    Free Member

Trail/fell running and climbing (hanging around on the climbing forum counts yes?).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pretty much. I like to walk/hike and have the occasional swim but I hate the gym. Cycling is the number 1 all round aerobic/strength workout I do. As I am now living in central London I need to make a plan as how to excersize more as access to mtb-ing is quite limited.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Used to play Sunday League Football up untill 24 then my knee went bang and I had to give up.
    Was running up untill this year when my Achilles went bang. Now that I’m 95% recovered (last physio session next week) my only activities will be cycling and swimming. But at a slower pace.

Two summer’s ruined by fractured leg, knee injury and Achilles injury means I need to slow down.

moniex
    Free Member

I try and ride mtb when I can, but life gets in the way (work, kids etc).

Gym 5 x per week (whatever I fancy, spinning/body pump/weight session etc), gym is down the road.

Seems to do the trick, but there are women who go to the same gym (who are in their 40’s) that do a lot more than that and look like athletes (like the ones on TV). I suppose I must try harder….

Simone

globalti
    Free Member

I used to climb rocks and mountains but don’t have the time nowadays. Never wanted to run – why bother when God gave us bicycles? Consequently my knees are in pretty good nick so cycling is the only exercise I get, as well as a week of skiing once a year. Luckily the cycling muscles are pretty useful for skiing so that works pretty well. Would do some more ski touring if I had the time. Can’t wait to retire.

scandal42
    Free Member

Cycling has been my only real excericise for a while now, so last week I decided to start playing football on Tuesday evenings.

2nd week into it last night and I have seriously pulled my groin (2 minutes in)

I feel like cycling has actually weakened me in certain areas as a pull like that has never happened before, **** hurts.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Is cycling your only form of exercise?’ is closed to new replies.