• This topic has 103 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • Is chivalry dead?
  • mrsflash
    Free Member

I know this prob doesnt apply to you but in general its the way i see things whenever ladies post on this site.

really? that’s sad. I would hope not to be seen any differently from the blokes that post on here really.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Why did it double post

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

TheLittlestHobo – I have to disagree!

Ok then, i will change my mind 🙂

I am talking about my own feelings, how can you dissagree? Anyhow, i would have stopped and offered to help because i always ask in those situations. My Alien RX has a metal tyre lever which is very handy for such jobs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Anyone with a mechanical – male or female, group or solo I will ask if they need help. Just slow down and shout – ” are you ok?” or “got everything you need?”

juan
    Free Member

Well that will teach bunnyhop/bunnyhop’s friend 😀 Next time she wont buy DT rims 😉

nbt

Well that will teach bunnyhop/bunnyhop’s friend Next time she wont buy DT rims

you mean you passed the on the ride, clocked the make of rim, and still ldidn;t stop to offer help? bleeding chauvinist french, eh? 😆

takisawa2

I’d have stopped.
    It would probably have made things worse, but I’d have stopped.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i bet juan would have stopped if they were mavics 😉

barca
    Free Member

Christ on a broken down bike! You people do seem to make your lives difficult for yourselves. Do you do hill reps as you ascend the elavations of political correctness and moral high ground each morning?

If this is indeed the age of equality, it shouldn’t make a blind bit of difference if it was 4 women, 4 men, 2 woman-1 man and 1 who couldn’t be easliy distinguished ad.lib et.al etc.

A person(s) by the side of the track or road with a non working bicycle (I would hope) would be offered a hand or use of a telephone or what ever regardless of gender.

If it had been myself going past this particular group of ladies, I’d have pedalled harder while loudly humming the theme tune from the Charge of the Light Brigade. Mad as a box of frogs they is. Mad!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I always ask people if they are okay – even though most of the time I’d not be able to help, as my mechanical skills are useless, but I ask anyway. Like Sharki said, manners cost nothing. I think everyone should check, regardless of gender. A few weeks ago I was out and punctured. I was passed by 3 female mtb’ers and a bloke. The females completely ignored me, but the chap asked if I had everything I needed.

I was thinking about this at the weekend – I stopped on a descent and held a gate open for a chap, who ride through without so much as a thank you. Further on down the trail, there was another gate – I wasn’t that far behind him, but he just shut the gate and rode off. Ggggrrr. I’ve come across other incidents – like men/women letting the blokes i’m riding with pass, but not me, even though i’m going faster than them/keeping up with the blokes i’m riding with. I see no reason for it, other than i’m female and they don’t want to be passed by a woman.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

takisawa2’s comment reminded me of our team mate at ten under the ben. A mates wife who has little to no mechanical knowledge but is very caring saw a bloke struggling with his bike on one of the fireroad climbs. She stopped and asked if she could help and he said yes. At that point she froze because she had absolutely no idea what he was trying to fix or what she could do to help. I think she just stood and chatted to him whilst he fixed it, to keep him company 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I always ask if someone is OK if I see them stopped and fiddling with their bike, and will happily lend tools or advice, but I draw the line at fixing stuff unless they’re clueless – I reckon they need the practice more than I

I still get rebuked by Karen for letting her mend her own puncture on her first ride out while I just took photos :o)

stcolin
    Free Member

Quite frankly If I’d have seen 4 girls on the trailside, I’d have got all nervous asking if they needed help and get the words wrong.

juan
    Free Member

LOL at thumbs.
    It’s just that I have a wheel build up with a DT rim and getting a tyre in or out is a right pain in the ass…
    But you have raised an interesting point.
    From now on I will always help people on lapierre or people with mavic 😈
    MWHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

crotchrocket
    Free Member

“Quite frankly If I’d have seen 4 girls on the trailside, I’d have got all nervous asking if they needed help and get the words wrong.”

Ditto,
    plus I’d have prolly crashed into them. I tend to suffer from “target fixation” :blush:

Bunnyhop

dirtbiker-100, Im the lady that was red squirrel spotting with you in Scotland last September. Also who kept you company on all the climbs out on the trails, while you lugged your heavy DH bike uphill 🙂

TLH. I’m sure you don’t mean any of the regular STW ladeez, not just me.

barca-you wouldn’t have seen us anyway, as you ride far too fast.
    BWD. Just remember the type of women that you ride with. Unfortunately I’m not as skilled or as competant as they are 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

DGOAB – You shouldn’t be so quick then. fast women are scary and threatening 🙂

The only exception to the help someone out is when its someone of your group who doesn’t know how to fix a puncture. You should then video them struggling and laugh Like this clip of Jojo 😈
    I did help her out afterwards honest and she swears she has learnt to do it now

juan
    Free Member

Is that you laughing…
    Now I am very scared

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

😀

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If there are 4 women trying to fix a bike is it not patronising to offer help as that surely implies that they are helpless creatures in need of a man to “save” them?

As I said before I’ll gladly give help when needed but if there are four people standing round a bike I’m going to assume that they can sort out any problems themselves and if they can’t then they need to ask for help.

Wot he said. I’ll always ask loners and usually pairs but a bigger group than that and I’ll assume they’ll ask if it’s serious.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Wun…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

..undred!

nbt

Funnily, I passed a group of cyclists on my way home tonight who seemed to be struggling and slowed to offer help. They were most grateful – it was a family who’s little girl’s bike was not working, the gears were jammed. Sorted it out for them (the mech had wrapped around on itself and jammed the chain) and carried on. The chap had no idea what he was doing and probably would have ended up carrying the bke home if I hadn;t stopped

juan
    Free Member

Last time I saw a group of cyclist in deep trouble all of them…

They were wearing lycra had funny narrow tyres and no suspension…
    Strangely when I ask if they needed help with that they were all very rude and refused 😉

Run far
    far
    far
    far away 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Is chivalry dead?’ is closed to new replies.