Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Is Cheese and onion pie the only vegetarian option worth considering?
  • binners

Mrs B has got one in the oven. So to speak. It’s smelling good. Really good! I love cheese and onion pie!

So we were just contemplating other stuff that crops up on that dusty bit of the menu you never bother looking at – the veggie option. I came up with a chicken pie with no ham in it. But apparently real veggies don’t eat chicken. So that’s out.

So, other than cheese and onion pasties, and beans on toast, are there any other meat free dishes I should possibly consider eating? I’m feeling adventurous.

Oh…. if anyone suggests quorn, or owt like that, I’ll put out a contract on them. Of possibly hunt them down myself. I’m thinking stuff that’s almost like real food. Almost….

GO!!!!….

Harry_the_Spider

I shall not rise to your bait.

Actually I do a wicked cauliflower and potato curry but I won’t waste it on a gastronomic pygmy such as yourself.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have loads but I am too weak to type more.

Esme
    Free Member

Butter pie? Just like meat and potato, but without the meat 😆

Harry_the_Spider

BTW. The cheese pie at The Pack Horse in Affetside is a thing of wonder, or at least it was when I last went before kids ruined my life.

Cougar

In the pie world, if you like cheese & onion then there’s always the butter pie. Traditional Lancashire dish, used to be known as Catholic because they couldn’t eat meat on Fridays or some such oddness. The Clayton Park ones are the best commercial ones I’ve found.

OUR PRODUCTS

apparently real veggies don’t eat chicken

FTFY. There are no ‘rules’ per sé but in terms of labels that’s a bit like calling yourself a non-smoker because you only smoke cigars.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Mac and cheese. Obvs.

Or Ratatouille.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Fish and chips (depending on your definition of vegetarian).

They key with vegetarian food is not to try to substitute for meat but have a meal which doesn’t need meat.

Harry_the_Spider

Fish and chips (depending on your definition of vegetarian).

Is that the definition where the fish is a vegetable?

tjp1980
    Free Member

Is fish based stuff allowed? I think that is just as cheating as allowing chicken would be.

Cougar

I shall not rise to your bait.

Ah, good point, I overlooked who posted that. Though actually Binbins you’re in the right part of the world to acquire what I just suggested then, check Rawtenstall ASDA.

seadog101

Frittata..

Fry up some spud, onions, peppers, whatever you can justifiably apply to hot oil and get away with.
    Beat some eggs, I use 6 for 4 people serving. Grate cheese, lots, and throw into pan with the fried veggies and pour over the beaten eggs. Top off with more cheese. Cook on hob for 5 mins, finish off under the grill.

This is in no way to be considered anything like a healthy meal…

Cougar

Is fish based stuff allowed?

Again, labels are irritating and people eat what they eat, it’s nothing to do with being “allowed”. But “vegetarians” who eat fish aren’t classed as vegetarians, they’re pescatarians.

binners

No fish? It’s a bloody minefield this! So a Friday chippy tea is out unless I have another cheese and onion pie?

Butter pie is down for cooking next week. Good call! There’s no such think as a bad pie

Rorschach
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mac and cheese.

You mean macaroni cheese. Or are you ‘one of them’?

Cougar

They key with vegetarian food is not to try to substitute for meat but have a meal which doesn’t need meat.

… in your opinion.

The key with vegetarian food is to eat what you want that doesn’t have meat in it. Things like burgers and sausages are just a convenient shape; meat-substitute, bean-burgers, ‘vegetable’ burgers are all equally valid.

And the whole ‘substitute’ idea is misleading anyway. A chicken burger isn’t a beef burger substitute, so why is a soy or TVP burger?

perchypanther
    Free Member

You mean macaroni cheese. Or are you ‘one of them’?

How very dare you! Definitely “one of us” 😉

Cougar

A veggie chilli can be good. I use non-meat mince but bean-based chillies are popular. Ditto curries.

I really should cook for you one day, maybe bring a Tupperware to one of the post-ride meet-ups. (Then you can rip the piss for ever more.)

binners

What did I say about that ‘non-meat mince’ stuff?

Puts Cougars name on Zee List

😉

nickc

I love cheese and onion pie!

It’s literally all that any vegetarian ever eats 😆

veggie curry. You’ll never go back 😉

Cougar

Oh, tell you what else is good in the ‘substitute’ world. Tivall hotdogs. One of the few meat things I used to enjoy before I was veggie was Plumrose hotdogs and they’re near-identical. Holland & Barratt for those.

tjp1980
    Free Member

Is fish based stuff allowed?

Again, labels are irritating and people eat what they eat, it’s nothing to do with being “allowed”. But “vegetarians” who eat fish aren’t classed as vegetarians, they’re pescatarians.[/quote]
    Don’t really disagree but the OP wanted veggie stuff. Guess the meat/fish distinction may be to some people how I think of beef / dog.

binners

Offers to cook for me? This is going better than I could possibly have expected 🙂

Cougar

What did I say about that ‘non-meat mince’ stuff?

Hey, I’m just fielding options for a potentially wider audience. Most people’s aversion to Quorn mince IME is because they cook it like beef, boil the udders off it for two hours and then wonder why they’ve got a pan of slurry.

riddoch

is there a difference between mac’n’cheese and macaroni cheese recipes?
    Macaroni cheese is the main part of a meal (possible with a side of chips and beans) whereas mac’n’cheese seems to be a side to accompany your burger or bbq food.

Cougar

This is going better than I could possibly have expected

You really are trolling to set me up for a fall, aren’t you? (-:

Cougar

is there a difference between mac’n’cheese and macaroni cheese recipes?

I think the former comes out of a packet.

I have a mega Macaroni Cheese recipe if you want it. (Not blowing my own trumpet, just what I’m told, I’m allergic.)

binners

Cougar – I’ll get some of those hot dogs in. I bloody love hot dogs! But even I try not to think too much about what’s actually in them. Lips and arseholes mainly, I’ve always presumed

bearnecessities

Cheese
    On
    Toast

Flaperon

Butternut squash and goats cheese was an unusual but brilliant combination.

Cougar

I try not to think too much about what’s actually in them.

The way I figure, the taste of hotdogs are predominantly flavourings rather than the meat or whatever. Stick the same flavours in a veggie version and you’re not a million miles away.

Cheese
    On
    Toast

And Lancashire Sauce. Get yourself to Entwistle’s.

Cougar

Lips and arseholes mainly

I wonder, if they remove the lips from the cow, they then spend all day going “oo, oo” to each other…?

nickc

you have waaaaay too much time on your hands 😆

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Colcannon!

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/colcannon/

Yum!
    Extra yum with baconny bits!

wilburt
    Free Member

Ratatouille
    Risotto

ahwiles
    Free Member

1) bacon sandwich.

seriously, just replace the bacon with halloumi…

2) veggie chilli.

by the time you’ve rammed it full of beans, lentils, onion, peppers, squash, etc. there’s no room for meat. and nuff tasty bro.

3) ‘greek pie’ (with feta, spinach, chopped olives, squash, sundried tomato, pine nuts)

yes, a bloody great pie.

Cougar

2) veggie chilli.

by the time you’ve rammed it full of beans, lentils, onion, peppers, squash, etc. there’s no room for meat. and nuff tasty bro.

That’s kind of the same argument as my hotdogs earlier. A good chilli is so packed with strong flavours that the mince is just there for protein and texture.

yes, a bloody great pie.

Binners to the foru… oh.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Egg on toast, and only takes 4 minutes.

binners

My god! That was outstanding! Mrs Binners made it not quite veggie though. It was really finely sliced potatoes, crumbed salami, mature cheddar, Stilton & fried onions in a shortcrust pastry pie 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Is Cheese and onion pie the only vegetarian option worth considering?’ is closed to new replies.