Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Is Cannock suitable for competent 8yo?
  • AlexSimon

I’ve never done the cannock marked trails – only delamere style making-it-up-as-you-go-along (well actually following knowledgeable locals).

Thinking of taking my boys down there tomorrow.
    I know the eldest can cope, but what about an 8yo – he’s done a few blue trails no problem, but not red.

All the photos on this page look fine:

Cross Country MTB Trails

creamegg
    Free Member

I’ve seen a 6yr old girl ride BPW so I’m sure it’ll be fine

AlexSimon

By competent I mean he can roll most stuff, but isn’t at the point where he can dropoff at will or do more than lift his front wheel.
    Balance is excellent though.

pk13

He will be fine only a small bit of woodwork or steg that might catch him out.

ThePinkster

The Follow The Dog shouldn’t pose too many difficulties.

Just be aware of what’s coming up and mind out for the occasional weekend stravaist who seem to think it’s their personal racetrack.

There’s nothing too challenging on the FTD. Monkey Trail is a bit more challenging but is still mostly rollable.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s changed in the last couple of years but only time I did it a couple of years back, it’s all rollable or rollable options, but a little more technical than a blue give some shallow rocks (if you keep off the black options) and bit of gentle woodwork.

Most tricky bit is probably the werewolf drop. Rollable again and really not that hard, just one of those you can freeze on if not that experienced or just can look worse than it is, especially in the wet. For me I have my usual issue of it being a drop/roll between two narrow trees. I always have problems with stuff like that. Not sure why, but the trees beside put me off. Had similar issues elsewhere. Remove the trees and it would be easy, yet all technically the same.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cannock-chase-follow-the-dog-werewolf-drop

br
    Free Member

He’ll be fine and tbh if anything like mine were at that age – more competent than their Dad.

Scapegoat

I saw a lad riding the Dog yesterday who can’t have been much more than about six. His chain came off on the paved rollers near the end, but he was just great.

It’s all rollable by the way. Great fun. Watch out for the Hora-munching cobbles. 😀

takisawa2

My lad rode the FtD one quiet week day, he was 5.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have been quite a few little lads out this week with their Dads. What they might lack in strength and speed they make up for in terms of enthusiasm great to see the nippers out on the trails.

No problems with any of it tbh for a competent 8 yr old. I think if you hadn’t said ‘competent’ it would be a different story though. Dog is moslty flat and undulating, Monkey has stiffer climbs/descents but all rollable. New Five Ways descent is open its oarsum and there are plenty of fireroad crossings to have a break.

Enjoy

Keef
    Free Member

stay behind him,and watch out for the storm troopers,what they lack in consideration is made up for with what they wear 😉

or you could always show him the real Chase….

ryan91
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be showing any 6 year old the real chase, is Stan Collymore still knocking around these parts 😆 ?

I have seen kids out on the FTD and they looked happy enough with it. Keep it up anyway, great to see kids getting started !

monkeychild
    Free Member

WHAT ABOUT THE PEBBLES OF DOOM??

You’ll be reet, the dog is quite tame.

AlexSimon

Thanks guys.
    Setting off in a few mins.

I’ve warned them about the pebbles 🙂

We’ll do FTD first and see how we get on.

I’ll stick a photo up when I get back.

AlexSimon

Is there a cafe at the main centre?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Good stuff. There are normally quite a few little ‘uns out with parents on a weekend. There’s an option round werewolf drop these days.

There are two cafés; one at Birches Valley and another on at Marquis Drive.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

There are a few 1 foot to 18″ inch steps dotted around both the FTD and MT to watch out for but everything else is rideable or avoidable. I think the MT section with Tom, Dick & Harry is still closed so no problems there as those little features may have phased the kids. Have a blast!

AlexSimon

It was perfect.
    Follow the Dog was spot-on for my 2. All rollable with enough to keep them on their toes.

We didn’t realise that the Monkey should have been done on the awy around, so we were a bit tired by the time we’d gone all around again to the junction. We just did Insidious Incline and Lower Clif – which also seemed pretty good (although eventually too big a climb to be done without pushing).

Did 27km in the end!!
    Probably their favourite trail so far. Thanks for all your help!

Scapegoat

Nice pics!

😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I loved taking my daughter round there when she was that age. I’m off to have a look at some old photos.

chiefgrooveguru

Awesome! I got embarrassed by an 8 year old getting way more air than me on Enter The Dragon at BPW… 😉

AlexSimon

I might try and drag them up to Cragg Quarry next.
    I’m not such a fan of Lee quarry, but Cragg could be good if I can get them up the hill.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Is Cannock suitable for competent 8yo?’ is closed to new replies.