Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is Cannock chase open?
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

Was planning on going down on Sunday but know someone had mentioned it was closed with trees down the other day…

chrisa87
    Free Member

Chase Trails were saying yesterday that it would be open again on Saturday, but I imagine if tonight’s storm is going to be as bad as they say then there will be a few more trees down across the forest to close it again.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

When they close is this an advisory thing? Ribbon across the start and a sign?
    I’m assuming they’re not going to restrict access to the forest?
    Don’t mind stopping every now and again to go round / over a tree.
    Could take a few folding saws with us as well to try and clear some stuff as we go

scruff
    Free Member

Its closed which means don’t ride The Dog or Monkey until its open. There will be big winching machinery and chainsaw teams clearing it for you as quick as they can but theres some hefty trees fallen down all over. There will also be other random closures all over, plenty of blocked routes and hanging trees just waiting to fall on idiots ignoring closures.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Didn’t know the extent of the damage which is why I asked the question….

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member
    tomaso
    Free Member

You know there is a huge forest with a network of trails to ride there as well? It was a riding destination before FTD and Monkey.

st

The FC are busy working through the forest right now. I had a few updates this morning and they’ve made good progress on the Monkey but Sections of the Dog (High Voltage and the section alongside Marquis Drive) and Lower Cliff have been severely affected.

Wind has dropped off today but local forecast for tomorrow has the forestry commission concerned and they will be out over the weekend keeping tabs on things.

Some sections of the trail have been damaged by the fallen trees so it’s not just a case of trees lying on the trail. This also menas that longer closure of some of the sections may apply.

The FC do not block off all of the trail and place security to stop people, they use tape and signage but it’s hoped that common sense and basic respect for the facilities are applied.

As Scruff says you could come face to face with machinery in use clearing trees and there are likely to be a number of hung trees which will be unstable and could fall unexpectedly.

It sounds like scaremongering but is it really so bad to miss a ride of the trails once in a while?

Stu
    http://www.chasetrails.co.uk

tacopowell
    Free Member

Any update on the trails?

st

Follow the Dog, Monkey and Stile Cop still closed

The Forestry Commission and ourbguys have been clearing fallen trees. Word has it that around 50 trees are down on the High Voltage section (Monkey decision point) alone.

mindmap3
    Free Member

That’s a lot of trees!

Bummer as I was hoping to get out for a ride tomorrow because the weather is supposed to be loads better.

st

Its only the official trails that are closed as the FC can’t be confident about rider safety.

Of course when using the unofficial trails care should still be taken due to damaged / hung trees.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

🙁 … But i have a new bike

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is Cannock chase open?’ is closed to new replies.