• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is Boris making it illegal to turn left in Lonndon
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

Just been having a convo as I left work with one of the truck drivers.

I wasn’t sure if he was pulling my leg but he seemed a bit livid ,well livid enough for me not to think he was pulling my plonker.

He commented Boris was trying to make it darn saarf so that large or HGV Vehicles that may put cyclists at risk should only be allowed to turn right?

Would this not make it the largest one way system in the world?

Ps for the record I thought I would make enquiries on the font of all knowledge which is STW and put him right Monday morning!!

shermer75
    Free Member

I heard this as well, from a neighbour. I’m finding it hard to believe as well.

mcnultycop

Artics just going round roundabouts forever?

mattyfez

Probably read it in the daily star, after all, he is a lorry driver!

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

He’s not entirely wrong! proposed lorry left turn ban

philxx1975
    Free Member

Probably read it in the daily star, after all, he is a lorry driver!

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/lorries-face-being-banned-from-turning-left-in-revolutionary-clampdown-aimed-at-preventing-cycle-a2924376.html

I never thought to google it,low and behold he was not mocking my cycling antics

craigxxl
    Free Member

Very impressive if he could pull it off but in reality it won’t happen. With trucks only able to turn right you would have London at a complete standstill whilst they sit there with their indicators flashing waiting for a big enough gap in the traffic or someone kind enough (London, they’ll be waiting a very long time) to let them through. This will be happening in both directions and you’ll soon end with complete gridlock. A lot of entrances and delivery yards would need to be modified too as lots are designed for traffic turning left off main roads into them to maximise space. Whilst these are being modified there is going to be a hell of a lot more road closures.
    Would be better if they could convert whole roads to cycle lanes to act arteries in and out of the city giving segregation.

Northwind

Truck paths instead of cycle paths, novel idea. When you read the actual pitch, it’s not what people seem to think it is.

irc

The no right turn is only for trucks delivering to major construction sites. So most HGVs won’t be affected.

Boris Johnson today unveiled plans that will force HGVs delivering materials to large building sites to follow direct routes and help drivers avoid colliding with cyclists.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Construction lorries in London could be forced to use special routes which minimise the number of left turns while making site deliveries.

Doesn’t imply a turn left ban does it, simply risk reduction by reducing them where possible.

Did you guys even read the article?

aracer
    Free Member

Looking at the article, it seems an extremely sensible proposal to me, and the other stuff all looks good too. I’m pleasantly surprised that some real positive action which should save lives is being taken.

sweepy
    Free Member

That is **** genius

wicki
    Free Member

I take it the cyclists in question are riding up the inside of trucks waiting to turn left almost certainly with their indicators on ….a bit like suicide really.

aracer
    Free Member

No wicki, not all of them. But is a death sentence reasonable even for the ones who do make such a simple mistake? When measures to prevent heir deaths are so easy.

wicki
    Free Member

I totally agree that all sensible measures should be taken to preserve life and prevent accidents including educating cyclists to use the roads in a responsible safe fashion.

I regularly see cyclists taking risks to save a few extra pedal strokes.

aracer
    Free Member

I regularly see drivers taking risks (with other people’s lives) in order to save them getting to the back of the next queue a little bit later. As the mistakes of car drivers kill far more people than the mistakes of cyclists, I’d suggest that given we don’t apparently have sufficient resource to educate drivers properly that diverting resource from educating drivers to educating cyclists (since that is the effective trade-off) would result in more lives being lost.

Note that I’m not against educating cyclists, just that I’d prefer we spent any effort we might spend on that educating and training drivers better.

keng38
    Free Member

br
    Free Member

Note that I’m not against educating cyclists, just that I’d prefer we spent any effort we might spend on that educating and training drivers better.

But you’d still have more dead cyclists if you don’t educate them to ride more safely, ie defensively.

Also aim it at women cyclists, as they seem to be at greater risk.

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/why-women-seem-to-be-more-vulnerable-around-traffic-blackspots-in-london-10341420.html

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Is Boris making it illegal to turn left in Lonndon’ is closed to new replies.