Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Is Beardy ed a good coach?
  • juan
    Free Member

As apparently you must do a tutition day to be in and ed is the only one getting local to me at some point, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with him. I basically aim to be able to go faster on easy stuff.

sambob
    Free Member

He is indeed, although on my course we did stuff for making people faster on technical stuff, rather than the mind-games that Jedi plays ;D

gingerss
    Free Member

I’ve been on a couple of Ed courses and would say he’s a good coach. Calm and explains things well.

juan
    Free Member

I am ok on the technical stuff. It’s on the easy stuff I can’t let go off the brakes

Naranjada
    Free Member

Ed’s a great guy and a great tutor, I’d certainly recommend him.

EDIT: going fast on easy stuff will be something Ed will teach well as he’s a great advocate of pumping the terrain and keeping your chin up.

stevede
    Free Member

Ed’s a great instructor and a top bloke, did The Flow course with him a couple of summers back at lee and cragg quarry’s and took away a great deal more than I was expecting to. Thoroughly recommend him.

juan
    Free Member

Ok thanks guys

IvanDobski
    Free Member

The Mrs and I did a day at Lee Quarry a couple of years and consider it money well spent. We both came away from it a lot smoother and hence faster.

I was just thinking of booking again tbh as I had a few months off through injury so could do with a refresher.

juan
    Free Member

I am more interested in the mental gain to be honest.

ash

Yes, Ed’s a very good coach.

For me it’s his combination of calm, clear explanations and the fact that he not only tells you what you’re doing wrong but gets you to hone what you are already doing right (I’ve experienced far too many sports instructors who seem to see it as their aim/duty to never say a postive word about what you’re doing, regardless of how you’re actually doing it.)

Also, Ed really does have something for everyone, no matter what your level. His top-down approach of looking at the real-world MTBing you plan to go out and do, and getting you ready/better for that, is a winner.

vondally
    Free Member

pretty much agree with Ash, ed is excellent very clear and concise with great encouragement.

juan
    Free Member

ok just need to know when ed is going down to sospel the next time 😉

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I did the stop crashing course with Ed a couple of years ago with a couple of mates even though I have been riding mtb for nearly 20 years. It was great. I was starting to lose my bottle and he changed my focus from ‘what was going to make me crash’ to ‘what do I need to do to clear a feature’. Worth every penny. I went back and did the flow course last year which was a great progression from the earlier ‘beginner’ course.
    In my opinion it doesn’t matter how long you have been riding, to have someone watch what you’re doing to help point out the bad habits you have picked up over the years is invaluable.
    Ed’s a great guy, really helpful, calm yet bloody fast and even though they are group rides (usually 6 on a course) everyone gets a bit one to one.. My riding has come along heaps since these courses. I am now riding like a 20 year old again (at least on the descents).
    The mental gain is enorm!

Ed-O
    Free Member

Thanks for all the positive comments. It’s really appreciated

hobbitfeet
    Free Member

Top bloke ^ 🙂

Came away with serious beard envy though…

juan
    Free Member

When is the next time you’re down in sospel Ed?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I did Ed’s jumps for dads course last year and I think it was money well spent.
    We all know plenty of people of can do it well (whatever skill “it” might be) but that doesn’t necissarily make them good at teaching it.
    What Ed does well is observe and identify what you’re doing and help you to modify and improve.

Harry_the_Spider

Not had a coaching session with Ed but I have met him a couple of times. He has that Zen Master aura thing going on so I suspect that you will learn stuff just by standing near him.

AndrewBF
    Free Member

Aye, ‘appen he’s alright. Did the Stop Crashing course at Gisburn about 18 mths ago and booked for another one in June time.

toons
    Free Member

It’s been the best upgrade I’ve ever bought 🙂

doug_basqueMTB.com

What Ash said. Calm, clear, mellow, something for everyone. What i like is the fact it’s stuff that applies to how most of us ride bikes. Pumping, looking, etc, all stuff that is useful on any trail in the world. I did a skills course with Ed and then invited him out to do weeks with me, if I didn’t think he was very, very good I’d not have done that.

I ride my bike a lot but have seen big gains in the last year and I put that largely down to Ed’s course in Gisburn and lugging in during the skills week he did here.

The beard needs no testimonials, that hairy chinosity speaks for itself.

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

What they all said.
    Done both of the Stop Crashing courses. Has transformed the way I ride the bike.
    This was what I put on Ed’s site after the first course…
    You could buy a new stem, some new tyres etc etc or you could spend £80 on a day with Ed. The kit may make your bike look better, the day with Ed will make you ride better.
    As others have said, I rode a section towards the end of the day that I know I’d have bottled previously. I will definitely be back for more in the new year.

In the words of the man himself ‘don’t sit like you’re having a poo, keep your chin up, open your legs and relax hard’

Now that kind of wisdom is worth £80 of anyone’s money!!!!!

Sums it up. Good bloke and approachable for advice etc.
    Treat yourself.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

As a mountain biker of some 24 years standing, I would recommend Ed as coach to almost anyone in a heartbeat.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Top bloke is Ed. Got a second skills course booked in with him next month 🙂

bash
    Free Member

Have you got a website Ed? Quick google search didn’t turn up anything.

grim168
    Free Member
    Aristotle
    Free Member

Having benefited from further motorbike and driving skills training (which have also helped with biking) I probably should enrol on one of these courses.

I reckon if I’d had some decent tuition a few years ago I’d have made the transition from erratic, bull-in-a-china-shop, erratically-pseudo-fast lad to the quick, smooth, flowing trail master that I’m working towards hopefully eventually becoming much more quickly.

What course for somebody who is no hero, but familiar with the techniques and confident with most normal things mtb …other than enormous gap jumps and 50 foot cliff hucks…. and can usually hold their own with other STW weekend-warrior-30-somethings?

“Polishing trail technique and Enormous gap jumps & hucks for Dads”?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Is Beardy ed a good coach?’ is closed to new replies.