Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is anyone riding the EWS on a hardtail?
  • spawnofyorkshire

I’m a hardtail rider and like to gee myself up for doing more techy stuff by thinking about folks doing much harder things on HT’s.
    Is there any mad buggers doing the EWS on one?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Somebody probably did, quite a few do the mega on them. Did most of the Roto trails and all would be possible on a HT just a bit more sketchy and much harder on the body

br
    Free Member

Plenty of folk do it on HT’s, just expect to be slower and more battered than doing it on a FS.

Trimix
    Free Member

I’ve been watching the series and haven’t seen any. In the XCO there are only a few. Seems modern FS bikes are both light and efficient now and other than wanting to punish yourself there is little reason for racing one at that sort of level.

Nino rides both in XCO, but most of the races I’ve watched he has been on his FS.

spawnofyorkshire

I’m not thinking of those at the sharp end, that does seem to be the exclusive realm of the FS at EWS and will become so soon at XCO. I’m more interested in the nutter types who are doing it because they can

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve ridden Pleney on a hardtail (inlcuding 10%) 😉

Infact, I rode the mega track on a hardtail.

Why?

Because I’m hard, have an inferiority complex and enjoy schooling all the mincers on carbon wonder bikes.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s obvious hardtails aren’t competitive in DH and modern enduro, otherwise the trails would be full of them. Outside of being competitive, its perfectly possible to ride those trails on a hardtail.

The experience will be different, more punishing and slower, but as a technical trail hardtail rider, you knew this already.

Northwind

I’ve done 2 rounds, I’d have been happy enough doing either on a hardtail in riding terms, I’ve ridden all the stages and raced most on my ragley ti (I’ve ridden most of the stages on my fatbike!). But I used the full suss for ews, just because it’s not something you get to do often so why piss about? I like racing on hardtails (I’ve done one enduro on the fatbike because I’m an attention whore) but EWS is a bit special, as a weekend warrior

(I suppose there’s a middle ground here where a hardtail brand might want to stick a good-but-not-winning rider in just for the visibility.)

Also, you can’t mess with other people’s day, it’s one thing slowing yourself down but it’s likely to mean you get passed more. That’s managable- I’ve done it in the SES and ukge- but it’s a consideration

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Some more inspiration for you

nick1962
    Free Member

You need stronger wheels if you huck to flat
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vHymfgem0Y[/video]

spawnofyorkshire

@northwind

Also, you can’t mess with other people’s day, it’s one thing slowing yourself down but it’s likely to mean you get passed more.

Absolutley fair point

BillOddie

The EWS round in Whistler always seems to have a few riders on Chromag Hardtails.

https://www.facebook.com/ChromagBikes/?fref=ts

“This is Jordan Hodder. He is fast. He is racing theSRAM Canadian Open Enduro this weekend on his Chromag Stylus, in the Pro mens field – watch out now!”

And last year Kevin Phelps, Julian Hine and Mike Seniuk did it on their Chromag 29er hardtails.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

spawnofyorkshire – Member

I’m not thinking of those at the sharp end, that does seem to be the exclusive realm of the FS at EWS and will become so soon at XCO. I’m more interested in the nutter types who are doing it because they can

You asked about EWS, being “Enduro World Series” which is the sharp end.

But yes, people do ride hardtails at enduro events at the lower end i.e. regional events.

mark88

I’m guessing sharp end was in reference to those competing for the win. Very few at EWS are at the sharp end.

spawnofyorkshire

I’m guessing sharp end was in reference to those competing for the win.

^ That

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m guessing sharp end was in reference to those competing for the win. Very few at EWS are at the sharp end.

No but if I was lucky enough to get a place (the qualifying rounds were a fair way and I couldn’t get over – Rd 2 is local to me) I would be racing to do the best I could. Having met a few people racing it, even those not racing for the win are racing for pride and the recognition for them and their sponsors. If you pay me to ride a a HT I would do it 😉

kimbers

Lot of punctures this weekend from the fast fullsuss racers, be even worse on a hardtail?

jamj1974

Because I’m hard

David. When cycling or typing?

I like riding a bike a lot, but it’s never had that effect! 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Is anyone riding the EWS on a hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.