• This topic has 114 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Is anyone riding a Trek Slash 29 yet?
  • northerntom
    Free Member

So i’ve had a few rides on mine now, and love the bike, it’s a machine.

Genuinely feels so fast descending, and haven’t really noticed the wheelsize change. Regarding it feeling a ‘too big bike’, it’s got travel adjust to 140mm on the front, and then adding more compression on the rear, turn the bike into a very capable trail bike.

I’ll put it this way, it’s better at everything than my 650b 2014 Nukeproof mega. I would rather race DH, XC or Enduro on the Slash.

it’ll never be the best bike for everything, but certainly is the closest I’ve ridden. It surprises me that I’ve read a lot about this being too big a bike, but then comparisons to the Specialized Enduro, which is even longer travel, haven’t been anywhere near as critical.

Regardless, it’s fantastic, really is a step above anything else I’ve ridden.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Your Fuel EX looks slacker than the Slash! What does it measure with an angle thingy on the stanchion?

65.7 in the low setting & 66.7 in the high, which is amusing as it’s meant to be 67 & 68.

The angle finder seems to be correct – I’ve measured other bikes before & it stacks up as it should.

sharkattack

Regardless, it’s fantastic, really is a step above anything else I’ve ridden

What size is it? Have you weighed it?

northerntom
    Free Member

I got the 19.5″, and I’m about 5″11, so fits for me. It’s a big bike, but doesn’t feel massive when sat on it, a good thing for me at least.

In terms of weight, no I haven’t weighed it. I’ve put XTR pedals, bottle cage and a mudhugger on since I got it. I would probably put it at 31lbs, but that’s a guess. Certainly it’s lighter than my old Mega.

I’ve never been one to weigh bikes, more build a bike up how I see fit and then that’s how much it weighs.

sharkattack

I’ve never been one to weigh bikes, more build a bike up how I see fit and then that’s how much it weighs.

I’m the same. I just know that my old Stumpjumper was 28lb standard and just over 30 with my Hope hoops and DH tyres on. I just want to know for reference really.

This just popped up this morning…LINK

Interesting to see that the Slash comes up lighter than the Remedy. And also that it’s her preferred bike despite being a midget. (her words not mine)

Then again, she will get to race it all over the world while I’m stuck with Wharny and Greno.

mrhoppy

As much as I’d love one it’s waaay too rich for me. But I found that Trek are selling 2014 remedy 29 frames and managed to get one. Looks like they’re clearing stock that they were keeping for warranty support purposes.

Hopefully get it built up soon, just need superstar to get some cardboard boxes. 🙄

chiefgrooveguru

65.7 in the low setting & 66.7 in the high, which is amusing as it’s meant to be 67 & 68.

The angle finder seems to be correct – I’ve measured other bikes before & it stacks up as it should.

That’s such a huge difference! Alloy frames tend to be within 0.5 degree if they’re nice ones, more like 1 degree on less good ones (my Banshee measures spot on). Carbon frames should meet far closer tolerances, like a fraction of a degree, so maybe the marketing department didn’t want to speak the truth?

thepodge
    Free Member

Its not unusual at all for published geo charts to not match real world geo.

Slightly different tyre size front
    Slightly different tyre size rear
    Slightly different fork A to C
    Slightly different bottom headset stack

Its only 0.35 of a degree each to make up that difference

julzm
    Free Member

I’ve had one since end of November so had several rides on it now.

Climbing wise, it doesn’t feel like a massive bike and definitely climbs much better than my ibis mojo HD3 with the ibis wide wheels on it. I’ve had several big days on it and done more climbing than I could on the mojo and still been wanting more daylight at the end of the day.

Descending wise, it is a beast. It does literally monster truck over just about everything with ease. I ride mostly natural stuff, steep techy, rooty, muddy at this time of year and the odd DH trail at Inners, Ae, etc. It feels awesome in 95% of those. Some of the tighter natural stuff are where it’s limits may show but that maybe that I just need to get used to a slightly different way of riding them. I know from talking to Katy Winton that she finds it no problem on some of the tighter trails in the valley, which was not her expectation. Interestingly, Tracey Mosley is still riding her Fuel quite a bit.

I’ve had the slash on some blue and red trail centre stuff and it didn’t feel like a massive bike but maybe but less poppy than my mojo. OH has the new remedy and absolutely loves it. He’s choosing to ride that over his Nomad.

The stock tyres are not great, I’ve only just changed to an SE5 upfront and will probably change the rear too for this time of year. The seatposts are also crap. I’ve had no probs with mine but OHs is worn right through the black coating and being replaced under warranty as it regularly sticks down (it’s 5 weeks old).

I genuinely love this bike, it’s very confidence inspiring. Mine-link wise mine is running in the low position. I may try it in the high as I’ve had several pedal strikes.

You may struggle to get one though. I know two guys who tried to order a 17.5 and a 19.5 last week and were told none in stock for 2017. Evans website gives you availability dates straight from trek so good shout to check that even if that’s not who you buy from.

sharkattack

Thanks julzm. That’s another spanner in the works!

I’m still no closer to test riding one. I’d love to ride one back to back with a Remedy or Fuel.

Or I might sack it off and buy a Bronson like everyone else….

steveno

mrhoppy – Member
    As much as I’d love one it’s waaay too rich for me. But I found that Trek are selling 2014 remedy 29 frames and managed to get one. Looks like they’re clearing stock that they were keeping for warranty support purposes

Have you got any details about these?

sharkattack

Have you got any details about these?

Ask your local Trek dealer to log on to Dexter and see what’s in the bargain bin. You’ll have to be fast to beat all the bike shop nerds who check it every day looking for bargains.

steveno

Hmm will have to find out where that is, unless anyone on here can do it and will sell over phone?

northerntom
    Free Member

@sharkattack I’m in Bristol if you want a sit on one.

@Julzm I’ve had the same issues with my dropper. The black anodising has worn off in various places and am getting it warrantied. Am looking to get the new 150mm Bontrager drop line to replace rather than the 125mm.

sharkattack

@sharkattack I’m in Bristol if you want a sit on one.

Thanks for the offer but I’m in Sheffield. Bristol is bit outside my usual turf. Nice place though.

northerntom
    Free Member

Ah of course, you did say Greno and Wharny.

I bought mine having never sat on it. Which I’ve done for my last 3 bikes, hasn’t gone wrong yet.

mrhoppy

Steveno, Evolution cycles in Eastbourne were doing them, they just order them in from Trek in the Netherlands. I got my local Trek dealer to price match, new frame with warranty.

chiefgrooveguru

Its not unusual at all for published geo charts to not match real world geo.

Slightly different tyre size front
    Slightly different tyre size rear
    Slightly different fork A to C
    Slightly different bottom headset stack

Its only 0.35 of a degree each to make up that difference

If that’s the case this time then the seat angle will have changed too. If Hob Nob measures both then we’ll know what the truth is…

Pridds

Sharkattack if you’re on a visit to the lakes and over 6 foot you can have a go on my large
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/QVJT6T]Untitled[/url] by IanPriddle, on Flickr

sharkattack

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Some of the difference on my bike will come from running a 140 fork rather than a 130, but not much, I’d have thought -0.5 of a degree at the most?

The rest shouldn’t make any difference, I’m running the same sized tyres, the headset cups are non existent in this frame (and the slash too) they are moulded into the carbon & the bearing just sits directly on it.

I measured the demo bike I had & that was equally as slack as this one.

sharkattack

Pridds, that bike looks even darker and blacker and more evil than I imagined. I am due a trip to the Lakes soon I might give you a shout if I’m still obsessed with them.

Pridds

Yep no worries. I took a dark bike and made it darker, even destickered the 240 hubs! It’s ace but the stock shock and fork aren’t the best ( compared to the adjustment on my dbair and 36 fits) also the BB is LOW even in the higher setting to the extent that I am thinking about getting some 170 cranks, even though the next sl’s are so pretty.

julzm
    Free Member

@northerntom are you getting a 150 in place of the 125 under the warranty?

That’s one downside of the slash. I’m 5’7.5″ so ride the 17.5 as the 19.5 would be too big and my height is mostly legs (33″ inside leg). However I’ve got 4 inches or more of seatpost protruding from the bike. I prefer a 150 dropper for this reason but it sure I’d get it stuck in the frame far enough.

Pridds

The other thing is that I’ve got a 34 tooth oval on it and there is only just enough clearance for it spaced as far as I dare on the driveside

Northwind

Hob Nob – Member

Some of the difference on my bike will come from running a 140 fork rather than a 130, but not much, I’d have thought -0.5 of a degree at the most?

Traditionally people say a degree but that’s just a rule of thumb, you can take that out of the equation easily enough by squishing your fork though and measuring that way.

Pridds – Member

Yep no worries. I took a dark bike and made it darker, even destickered the 240 hubs! It’s ace but the stock shock and fork aren’t the best ( compared to the adjustment on my dbair and 36 fits)

It’s kind of cheating because I bought a team bike shock from polish pete but the reactiv shock in the remedy is the best suspension I’ve ever used… It’d be a shame if they’ve not nailed it so well for the new one. Hardly any external adjustment mind but the base settings are better than anything I’ve got by twiddling a ccdb.

chiefgrooveguru

Going from a 130 to 140mm fork will slacken the angles by 0.43 deg and raise the BB by about 3mm.

northerntom
    Free Member

@Julzm, I have asked for a 150mm, not sure what I’m getting yet to be honest.

I would obviously prefer the bigger drop, but don’t mind having some seatpost stuck out, so doesn’t bother me too much.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

I’m hoping mine will be here next week, so can give you a report then, can’t wait

alic01
    Free Member

I have been riding mine since the Christmas break, I bought a 17.5″ frame set and built it up with XTR drivetrain on Hope Cranks, Saint brakes, Fox36 and a Transfer post. Running Magic Mary and Rock Razor on Arc35 rims which seems to be a good setup but isn’t the lightest, I haven’t weighed it but its noticeably lighter than my old Enve wheeled Alpine with similar build spec.

I have moved straight from a 26″ 2014 Alpine 160 to the Slash so the 29″ wheels are taking a bit of getting used to. Im only 5′ 7″ and the 17.5 feels just fine for me, its similar in proportion to the Alpine and felt very comfortable when I first got on it. Experience wise I ride a lot but I don’t race, im confident and relatively fast, at first I thought that would be a problem but it doesn’t seem to be and the bike suits me well.

Climbing wise I am definitely smashing all of my previous climbing efforts, I ride with a mate on a Nomad CC who was previously miles ahead of me and now we are pretty similar so while its not great at climbing its the improvement I was looking for with my preference being purely on the DH side of the trails.

I have ridden most trail centres in Scotland since getting it including Glentress Black on a damp -5 frozen morning but aside from being careful of ice it was a fantastic ride that felt so at home on Deliverance where you can really let it run. On the blue trails it likely is too much of a bike but the easy rolling 29er makes them much easier with less pedalling to maintain the same speed as the older Alpine.

Over rough terrain its very confidence inspiring and a lot of fun, I am still getting used to turning the bike, its very capable in the corners but requires more effort and correct body positioning to really get the best from it and I still find myself braking more than usual for flat or off camber corners at the moment, I think that’s just a confidence thing and will come with time.

It will certainly reward a rider who can throw it about and is happy to keep up the speed, that’s when it feels its best. I haven’t ridden any trails this year in dry conditions or above 4 degrees yet so cant wait for things to warm up and see what its really capable of. I often wonder if getting used to a new bike over Winter is really the best idea!?

johnytaka
    Free Member

Bit of an old thread, but just wanted to add something on sizing…
    I’m 6ft and by all ‘on paper’ comparisons an XL slash 29er should be too big, but I tried one at the weekend and it fit really well. Proves it’s always sensible to try before you buy! Bike geometry and measurements are complex and often the numbers don’t tell the reality. BTW I ride a large SC 5010 usually, which is usually considered to be a med-large as SC’s come up a bit small.

arogers
    Free Member

Yep, I’m 6’1 and the L felt very cramped. XL a good fit but the slack seat tube with limited room for a long dropper is a bit of a pain. Phenomenal bike to thrash around on though.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I have a 175mm fall line post in my xl slash. The posts collar is around 1cm above the seat clamp.

arogers
    Free Member

Interesting. That would be spot on for me.

MSP

Does anyone know which of these BB’s would be correct for a slash 29er?

https://www.hibike.com/hope-pf46-stainless-steel-bottom-bracket-for-axle-p5e4e13d52504db81f67830c48fec1d56

I have a 175mm fall line post in my xl slash.

Does more post go into the frame than looks like would in the pictures? How tall are you? I would love to get a 170mm post in my frame when it arrives.

Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Is anyone riding a Trek Slash 29 yet?’ is closed to new replies.