Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • is anyone here a train driver?
  • firestarter
    Free Member

I have some questions 😉

Pook

I’m not, but my mate is

rickmeister

They are really hard to steer apparently….

njee20
    Free Member

There are a couple… Stanfree is one IIRC.

molgrips
    Free Member

They are really hard to steer apparently….

No they handle really well. Corner like they’re on rails apparently.

pondo

I’ve been looking at train drivering for a few years – f*** my old boots, they don;t make it easy to get in to that industry.

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive an interview coming up early stages yet but it means leaving the fire service and my 17 years worth of pension and being very very poor for a year if I manage to get a start.

ononeorange

I still imagine myself as one from time to time. Reality is sadly infintely more boring.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I tried it but failed the aptitude tests – just went completely off the rails

footflaps

I failed my test on the 3 point turn. Apparently, you’re not supposed to back up the same track the other way…

pictonroad

It’s the balancing on the rails that gets me, I have trouble enough on my bike.

RustySpanner

They turned me down because of a car accident.
    Mind you, it was a really bad shunt.

allthepies
    Free Member

Jobs for the boys ?

darkcove

Are you going to ask if you can toot my horn?

br
    Free Member

Jobs for the boys ?

No. A mate got one of these jobs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-25035740

Basically they wanted folk who understand safety and take instruction. He was ex-Electricity Board on cables/power-lines etc.

Took about 7 days of time off to go through all the interviews/processes.

scandal42
    Free Member

They turned me down because of a car accident.
    Mind you, it was a really bad shunt

Iv’e always thought puns about trains made for decent two liners.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My stepson will be as long as he passes the medical next week. Did well on both interviews & tests. He’s only 25 & fit & strong so the medical should go ok.
    Freightliner, based in Leeds. They had 1500 applicants for 10 places.

mudshark
    Free Member

They had 1500 applicants for 10 places

Must pay very well.

chewkw
    Free Member

Good money with stress free life working as train driver if you can get in.

🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

25 & fit & strong

Will he drive one or pull it?

jon1973
    Free Member

Good money with stress free life working as train driver if you can get in.

Is it stress free enough to sleep on the job? Surely you can’t have an entire rail system built on sleepers?

bruneep

Or stay in FS and be poor for the rest of your career, who knows what will happen to the Rail industry now Bob has gone.

allthepies
    Free Member

wordnumb
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to come up with a witty comment to add to this thread, the punchline being “…I was pretty chuffed’, but I ran out of steam.

crikey
    Free Member

Time flies by when you’re the driver of a train, or so I’m led to believe.

molgrips
    Free Member

Train drivers always sem to look bored shitless when pulling into stations, I’ve noticed.

br
    Free Member

Ive an interview coming up early stages yet but it means leaving the fire service and my 17 years worth of pension and being very very poor for a year if I manage to get a start.

You’ll keep all your pension though, and get another Final-Salary Pension to boot.

firestarter
    Free Member

bruneep my patience with the way we get treated In the fire service has finally gone. Ive had enough tbh if I dont get this I’ll be looking elsewhere

chewkw
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member

Is it stress free enough to sleep on the job?

Sleeping on the job? Does that happen to train driver? 😯

Surely you can’t have an entire rail system built on sleepers?

I doubt there is enough passenger for sleepers unless the traveling time is more than 8 hrs. No?

The last sleepers I used was in Thailand … bloody hell talking about slow … but fun though.

p/s: just saw the “boom-tish!” above … 😆 Okay okay … I get it. Bloody train joke.

bruneep

As has mine just counting the days down 2165 to go.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Train drivers always sem to look bored shitless when pulling into stations, I’ve noticed.

I’d be tempted to keep a collection of masks/strange headgear in the cab to wear when pulling into stations.

firestarter
    Free Member

Bruneep im gonna have an extra 8 to do if I were to stay.

Br I would be trying to transfer the funds out as I wouldn’t trust the gov to leave it alone. They have already destroyed my army pension

Anyway thanks for all the crap jokes 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

bruneep my patience with the way we get treated In the fire service has finally gone.

Is it worse than the Prison Service? I bet it’s not.

edlong
    Free Member

stress free life working as train driver

You might want to run that idea past any drivers that have had suicides (or accidents).

aP
    Free Member

Actually TOC train driver salary raises are a direct result of the Tory Government privatising the railways – Major Thatcher’s legacy to us all.

br
    Free Member

Br I would be trying to transfer the funds out as I wouldn’t trust the gov to leave it alone. They have already destroyed my army pension

Tell me I’m wrong, but I understood that the Train Drivers pension was a Govt backed one too?

And tbh you should never amalgamate pensions – eggs and baskets…

chewkw
    Free Member

edlong – Member

You might want to run that idea past any drivers that have had suicides (or accidents).

Accidents? Yes, there is a danger working in all transportation job.

Suicide has nothing to do with the job but rather the individuals themselves. i.e. their mental health.

dantsw13

I think he means people jumping in front of trains. Can’t be nice for the driver.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Suicide has nothing to do with the job but rather the individuals themselves.

The think they were talking about people jumping in front of drivers trains, not the drivers topping themselves!

firestarter
    Free Member

Br it may be but as soon as you stop paying into the fs one its pretty much worthless. But I get the idea with the eggs that’s how my army one is worthless now

anyhow none of this addresses my problem

Cheers all 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘is anyone here a train driver?’ is closed to new replies.