Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Is anyone else's PC getting ragged by this site?
  • samuri
    Free Member

Actually if you google "fixed background jerky scrolling" you get 3,500 hits so it may be a common problem.

I typed in "having sex with a koala bear while singingbohemium rhapsody and talking to anthea turner on skype"

and got 444,000 hits.

doc_blues
    Free Member

rags the hell out of my pc (or did – have yet to try it with the new set up) – could happily run lightroom and photoshop together processing images and no bohter. open up STW with one window (and no other programs running) and you can literally hear the system fan ramp up a notch and watch your resources drain away in memory management thingy in windows…quite booldy annoying…and counterproductive for the advertisers as I would rather sleep with Jordan and stick pins up my jacksie than visit the advert sites that are causing it (and I know they cause it cause they are turned off in browser at work and no problems in a lesser specced machine)

grumm
    Free Member

Vista 64, 3.0GHz Core 2 Quad, 12GB DDR3, Quad 150GB Raptors, IE8.

8% CPU with all the adds turned on.

Crikey! What do you use that for?

I saw ban Stoner for this filth anyway (actually this site does make my puter go nuts – Macbook with 2g ram on safari here).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zaskar
    Free Member

Try keeping another browser spare to view STW etc but don't load or install flashplayer etc so you don't see all the flashy stuff that grabs your graphics processing power.

Or upgrade your video card tha has onboard processing if your pc is a pci x16 slot for graphics and dual core+. Otherwise don't bother upgrading as new gear is on the horizion with USB 3 etc.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im using a 256Mb Geoforce 6400.

Not amazing, but its not like Im gaming or anything.

And why on earth would one have to upgrade a video card just to view a website?

Try keeping another browser spare to view STW etc but don't load or install flashplayer etc so you don't see all the flashy stuff that grabs your graphics processing power.

thats a more likley solution for now. FF running STW with ads blocked and Chrome managing everything else. Bit of an arse muddle though really.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

It's called computer progress mate – you need more hardware and energy to do the same old job 🙄

avdave2

I've just hit 97% Chrome and XP but it is only a netbook. Having said that it's dropping as low as 6% as well.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I have my man servant print the threads I am interested in reading and he then presents them to me in a lovely bound hardback book

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I typed in "having sex with a koala bear while singingbohemium rhapsody and talking to anthea turner on skype"
    and got 444,000 hits

doesn't everyone do that ?

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Right click the CRC ads and select Quality>>Low to turn off antialiasing on these ads.

Should speed things up a bit.

GrahamS

Well true, but the results I get are definitely relevant to the subject, whereas in the results from that search over half of them were actually about "having sex with anthea turner while singing bohemian rhapsody to a koala bear on skype". 🙄

kelvin

I can't help with the flash, other than to beg advertisers to either not use flash, or improve their actionscript skills.

Right, background image: could someone with the scroll problem check this page and see if they get the same problem? Would like to know if it's a general fixed background problem, or the way Singletrack have implemented the ad on this site. Thanks.

zokes
    Free Member

zaskar – Member

Or upgrade your video card tha has onboard processing if your pc is a pci x16 slot for graphics and dual core+. Otherwise don't bother upgrading as new gear is on the horizion with USB 3 etc.

muddy_bum – Member

Right click the CRC ads and select Quality>>Low to turn off antialiasing on these ads.

Should speed things up a bit.

Why should we have to do these things? It's only a bloody website FFS! Are you seriously considering people should upgrade their graphics cards JUST so that they can see a forum-based website?

PC at home is a 3.2gig quad with 8 gigs of ram on vista 64 and even that perks up a little bit. 2.8gig duo laptop with 3 GB ram at work on XP32 goes nuts, and my old 1.6 duo with 1.5 gb ram falls over. Funnily enough all this goes away with one click of a button. That button either being closing the site (and not seeing the adverts), or using a certain program, and not seeing the adverts. Basically to use this site effectively I have to turn the adverts off. If I don't do that, then I can't use it at all

DM52
    Free Member

Update Adobe Flash Player to the latest and greatest.

GrahamS

You can check what version of Flash you have installed here.

Latest version is 10.0.32.18

I still see the same issues even with the latest version. Can others with issues report what version they have and if they see any improvement from updating to the latest one?

fisha
    Free Member

Core i7 920 @ 2.66Ghz , 6Gb DDR3 , Twin 250Gb HDD's and a GTX260

runs Firefox at 6 to 8% CPU and IE alongside at the same time @ 6 to 8% and thats with Photoshop, DPP RAW Image Viewer and Media Player running with visuals …

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/donboyfisher/various/cpu.jpg
    i'll get me coat…

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I often view it with the ads bar disappeared off the RHS (shrink the window) and use the slider. Much less irriating also.. When I run task manger and view the CPU usage, there is clearly less CPU useage when the moving ads are off the edge of the window. I guess Windows decided not to bother computing that bit.

Is this reasonable? it's funny because Mrs Mc asked me the same the other day regarding a different site and I didn't know the answer.

footflaps

I still don't understand why everyone just doesn't run Firefox and Flashdance – the whole internet experience is so much better…

I have no problem with Ads, but cannot stand embedded Flash.

Drac

No problems at all with Laptop or Desktop with running Windows and Firefox.

GrahamS

footflaps: I suggest you edit your last post. The discussion of ad blocking technology is verboten in the forum rules. This thread (despite being helpful and needing to be discussed IMO) is probably already sailing dangerously close to the wind and mention of specific technologies by name will tip it over 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

kelvin – Member

I can't help with the flash, other than to beg advertisers to either not use flash, or improve their actionscript skills.

Right, background image: could someone with the scroll problem check this page and see if they get the same problem? Would like to know if it's a general fixed background problem, or the way Singletrack have implemented the ad on this site. Thanks.

Yep, same problem. I think I've previously reported it to Mozilla and the WebKit folks, will try and dig out the bug #s this evening

Imagine connecting to another PC with VNC, then browsing the web on the remote machine. That's what it's like.

flamejob
    Free Member

Just thought I'd add… I am running a totally pimped 15" MacBook Pro and always know when STW is open in the backround 'cause the fans spin up with ether peasant graphics card or the 512M one running.

Seems a bit silly to me.

PS I think the Cotic thing is pretty cool.

aracer
    Free Member

I still don't understand why everyone just doesn't run Firefox and Flashdance – the whole internet experience is so much better…

Because like Stoner I like to use Chrome. The only reason not to is the STW site.

The one time I was banned from here for discussing blocking ads (I suspect describing exactly what I did would get me banned again) I had a lengthy discussion with Mark about the reason I had a problem with ads on here, the net result being that he did kick some backsides and make it a bit more sane for a while. I think maybe it's time to do as you suggest though and revert to FF (to be fair the latest version of that is much better than when Chrome came out, so not really any downsides apart from that I've got used to Chrome). Assuming the mods are reading this, I'll just point out again – though you should have got it by now – that like many on here I don't have any problem with ads at all as long as they're not busy making my CPU churn away. Meanwhile, whatever the stats might say, personally I'm far less likely to pay attention to a Flash ad simply because they're so irritating.

marsdenman
    Free Member

2.6ghz, 4 gig RAM MacBook here.
    Forum used to take 90% + of cpu.
    Now down at more like 2.5%…

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Aye, my home PC, Windows XP SP3, latest Firefox browser, struggles with STW & often hangs.
    Close the window & open a new one, and it eventually does the same. When i looked at the CPU/memory loading, it was either Firefox going mental or the anti-virus (AVAST) software, so maybe anti-virus progs have an issue with something on the page?
    I haven't seen it do it on other websites i use.

Drac

I use Avast too but still no problems.

I wonder if keeping video card drivers update would help?

Probably not though.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Forum used to take 90% + of cpu.

wowser. I'll get banned again if I pass any comment but wowser.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I just installed (after reading this thread) Chrome v4.0 and cpu usage has dropped from 90%+ to under 70% I have been getting over to flash crashes a day.

And apparently certain things that arnt to be mentioned on this forum work with V4 😉

http://www.filehippo.com/download_google_chrome/

Stoner
    Free Member

kelvin – same problem with your cotic page as on here, although TBH I get a similar scroll problem with twitter pages anyway.

Graham – I always run uptodate Flash app in a futile effort to solve this problem, to no avail 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Vista 64, 3.0GHz Core 2 Quad, 12GB DDR3, Quad 150GB Raptors, IE8.

8% CPU with all the adds turned on.

Well if i'm reading this right you have 8 cores in there so 1 of them flat out is 12.5%, means you are caning one of them!!

Wozza
    Free Member

For me its that Cotic banner, using Firefox. <CTRL +> until the forum fills the page and the scrolling is much better.

allankelly

In case this gets read later, I found this thread after I started another one… and at the end of my thread 8) there's a response from Mark (Administrator).

Here it is: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-flash-ads-ate-my-computer

So, it's a bit better now.

al.

allankelly

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Is anyone else's PC getting ragged by this site?’ is closed to new replies.