Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is anybody doing the 24hr puffer in Straffpeffer this year ?
  • flockofffish
    Free Member

Is anybody doing the 24hr puffer this year ? I will be fixing bikes this year. Hopefully next year will back as a solo.
    Flock

twinklydave

Yes!

Wouldn’t miss the annual pilgrimage oop norf to repeatedly fall off my bike in the dark 🙂

Best 24hr race of the year!

jojoA1
    Free Member

Oh yes, soloing. But I’m perturbed that I’m currently failing to be enthused enough to go out in the sleet that is splodging down miserably outside.
    Need to seriously WTFU in the next 6 weeks…

flockofffish
    Free Member

jojoA1 It’s sleeting down at the mo and was a bit cold on the legs getting into work this morning on the bike. Have to get the winter tyres on the roadbike !.
    A lot of bad weather on the way this weekend also. Was fun last night out in the wind and rain on the way home from work.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Not I this year- been twice, podiumed twice, been on the adventure show twice, enjoyed it masses twice, but proved my point and don’t really have to put myself through it again!

Good luck to everyone.

ewangronk

I’m doing it for the first time, solo and also first 24hr race, not sure I quite know what I’ve let myself in for!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Nope – figured that 5 of them was enough for me.

epicyclo

7th time as solo.

Training – what’s the point. End up knackered anyway….. 🙂

Just fitted huge mudguards just in case I fancy get soaked in the sleet.

Who is singlespeeding?

jojoA1
    Free Member

Epicyclo, I’m hoping that training will stave off the knackeredness a little and increase the speed of the riding which precedes it. At least that’s the idea :). Yesterday in the sleet was acclimatisation more than anything. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

wtfu JOjo – get out there and train!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ewangronk – Member

I’m doing it for the first time, solo and also first 24hr race, not sure I quite know what I’ve let myself in for!

😈

Have fun

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

It will be a first for me to. Any top tips much appreciated. Too early for “what tyre” thread? 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Solo daisy?

As much warm and dry kit as you have or can beg borrow and steal, good support team is a huge help

swiss01
    Free Member

seconding tj there. don’t be hanging about in wet gear when you’re eating/fixing etc if you’re not swathed in warm kit. getting cold is no fun. plus, pay attention to what you’re eating, then pay some more attention.

i’m missing out this year due to it being earlier. i’m trying to be upset about it but really….

epicyclo

Daisy_Duke – Member
    It will be a first for me to. Any top tips much appreciated. Too early for “what tyre” thread?

Get yourself a set of ice tyres. You may not need them, but I can still remember the odd pool of frozen blood from one off the icy ‘Puffers. 🙂

If you’re solo, take more sets of brake pads than you think you’ll ever need. (Some years they just get chewed up).

Eat frequently. As soon as you stop, have a warm jacket to put over everything to conserve body heat.

The ‘Puffer is like doing a full season of racing in dirty conditions without maintaining your bike, so make sure chain, cogs, cables, and brakes are all good before you start.

And don’t stop. Every unplanned stop takes 3 times long than you intended.

You will enjoy it, great atmosphere.

Oh, and when you’re reduced to the state where you’re miserable with the cold, cursing the driving sleet, slipping on the ice, and bitching about the long fireroad climb, console yourself with the thought “There’s only 23 hours and 55 minutes to go” 🙂

sangobegger
    Free Member

I’ll be there again! – as a marshall. I’ll cheer on all you daft buggers.
    An the previous comment was way off. By the time you are finished you will have spent £200 on pads and your bike will look like a 10 year old shed that you couldn’t even give away.Full sussers WILL require every pivot renewing and your drive train, if you are lucky will have every third tooth still attached.Apart from that its a great laff – oh and bring a caravan/motorhome,no point being totally miserable for 24hrs – enjoy!!!!

flockofffish
    Free Member

Tne puffer track is breaking up big style and the mud is building up, so looks like £400 on pads.

epicyclo

I’m expecting mud, mud, glorious mud.

I’ve just built up a rear wheel with drum brakes. Already got a drum on the front.

Ran with drums a few ‘Puffers ago, virtually no wear on the brakes at all because they’re shielded.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Is anybody doing the 24hr puffer in Straffpeffer this year ?’ is closed to new replies.