Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Is an upgrade from a 70mm to a 50mm stem worth it?
  • FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Contemplating this upgrade to make the front end easier to loft but will it be worth it? – Will climbing become more wallowy – Its on a Giant Reign X0 which is difficult enough to drag uphill.
    Anyone done the same?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Can you borrow one off a friend before buying one?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

70mm seems pretty long for a reign? I think a 50mm would suit the bike better, tighten up the handling nicely.

wl
    Free Member

Big difference – way better with 50mm. I swapped from 60mm to 50mm on both my bikes – steering’s now quicker, which compensates for slackish head angles on both bikes. Don’t worry about the climbs – you’ll soon adjust, and handling will improve downhill.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I went from a Truvativ Hussefelt 60mm Stem to a Thomson x4 50mm stem, it was one of the best upgrades I’ve done, my bikes an Orange Subzero (07-08) running 180mm 66 SL1 ATA’s so its Head angle is nice and slack don’t find that climbing is too much of a pain, winding down the forks sees to that but the most impressive thing is how it now turns, its no longer something that involves thought, its instinctive by the time you’ve thought “that line” you’re already on it!! I’m also using EA70 Monkey Bars (685mm W)

it’s a set up that works for me perfectly 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Its horses for courses, when building up my alpine i tried a 50mm and a 70mm 0deg rise and decided on the 70mm. Nothing wrong with the 50mm just minutely preferred the 70mm. You really need to try them.

Ed-O
    Free Member

Having both a 70mm and a 50mm stem is essential stock I think. I’ve swapped to a 50mm on the Ibis and it’s sharper, as mentioned above you will adapt on the climbs. Seems a shame not to do this if you’ve got a bike that is born to descend.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I have the exact same bike as the OP and have done exactly the same. Whilst the front felt a bit wandery on climbs to start with, I’m used to it now and the difference on the downhill stuff is well worth it. I say do it!

wl
    Free Member

MrNutt – just out of interest, how’s your Zero with 180mm forks? I’ve got the same bike with Van 36s – feels mint, but I’d be interested to know about the longer forks. Occasionally I’d quite like an even slacker head angle, but don’t want to lift the bb too much. Ta.

MrNutt
    Free Member

honestly, it transformed the bike!

I had the Z.1 RV sports which were 150mm, I run the 66’s at about 35-40% sag so the bike actually rides with the forks sitting at about 160-170mm which is spot on and the sag means that the front tracks the ground brilliantly giving me steering 99% of the time.
    I also run the forks quite soft compared to most folk (similar to Noel from Knolly Bikes), you can tune the 66’s to alter their characteristics to suit your riding and as I tend to usually be further back/central and light over my bike unless I’m climbing, then I’m ether stood up, weight central, pushing down on through pedals and “holding” up on the bars or sat down leaning forwards, spinning the pedals with the forks wound down. That said I’m not a big fan of climbing!

If you’re ever anywhere near Wiltshire (or Afan next weekend) you’re welcome to have a go?

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Thanks guys, think i’ll opt for a Race Face Atlas 50mm currently running Race Face Evolve all mountain 70mm, anyone got the Atlas?

MrNutt
    Free Member

get a thomson x4 50mm elite, lovely piece of kit!!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I agree the X4 50mm is a lovely bit of kit.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

MrNutt you’ve converted me, the Thomson is sexy and seems to be lighter than Race Face – new wish list – 50mm X4 Elite – Will the lack of rise make any difference my current 70mm has 8 degrees? It could be better to have the controls a little lower – what are you thoughts?
    thanks

MrNutt
    Free Member

what bars do you have? hi-rise, lo-rise, straight? I use the EA70 lo-rise which seem bang on to me 🙂

wl
    Free Member

Cheers, MrNutt – nice offer – shame I’m nowhere near your neck of the woods, I’m in Calderdale. Interesting about your forks though. Folk reckon there’s no point in all that travel on a hardtail, but they’re slightly missing the point – it’s as much about the angels it produces as it is about the travel itself. On super-steep stuff round here and in the Lakes, Alps etc, you can go through at least half your travel before you even hit a bump. Reckon I’d be quite happy running 180mm on my frame.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

MrNutt
    Currently have Race Face Evolve AM low rise bars

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’d say see how you get on, you can always get risers if you feel the stem is too low? I don’t find mine too low but its all down to personal preference really isn’t it?

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Cool, thanks for the heads up

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Is an upgrade from a 70mm to a 50mm stem worth it?’ is closed to new replies.