Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • is an ethernet cable basically a phone cable (with the phone sockets)?
  • racefaceec90

further to my question about getting a game shop to download some dlc content to my 360 hd (as no phone line).it seems that i might be able to connect my 360 to xbox live via my 3 mobile broadband dongle 🙂 as i cannot directly plug it into the 360,need the aforementioned cable.sorry to be an idiot,but is it a cable with the phone socket ends? (both my ancient pc and 360 have the sockets) if so and if this works will be most happy (finally can download content/patches for games (i know that it would be too slow to go online with people/use too much credit,as i am on a 15gb a month contract) sorry to drone on 🙂

chojin
    Free Member

um… is the dongle USB? or is it a mini router?

you might need to set up ICS (internet connection sharing) on your PC and connect the 360 to it via wireless.

This would of course, reuire you to purchase an unecessarily expensive Xbox 360 WiFi adapter first.

*Edit: and also require your PC to have some kind of wireless card too.

samuri
    Free Member

No. It’s hard to understand your question to be honest but an ethernet cable is an RJ45 connector and a phone cable uses an RJ11 plug.

racefaceec90

tis one of these

ton

samuri is correct.
    i sell em both.

racefaceec90

apologies.what i meant was,is the sockets for the cable,where you would plug the modem into the pc (like a phone connection) as both the 360 and my 10 year old pc have the sockets. again sorry to be an idiot. 😳

chojin
    Free Member

I’m not sure the OP is looking for a lesson on the basic of comms, i’m pretty sure he just wants a solution to his xbox connectivity issue!

the long and short of it is, it’s possible to connect it using your 3g dongle, but will cost you about £50 (more, if your PC hasn’t got a wifi card).

allthepies
    Free Member

Get one of these to allow your 360 to have wireless capability through its ethernet port:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wifi-Bridge-Wireless-Gaming-Adapter-54G-Vap11g-/170645837790

Then get a Mifi device from Three and put your dongle sim in that.

The 360 then has broadband access via wireless/Mifi.

Job done ( will cost you approx 70 quid all in though)

chojin
    Free Member

The xbox 360 doesn’t have a phone modem in it – it’s a data port only!
    They look similar, but doesn’t do what you think it does :]

racefaceec90

thanks everyone,will try one of those wireless connectors (will be a damn site cheaper than getting a phone line/broadband installed (then the monthly phone line charge as well as the broadband) 😀

chojin
    Free Member

a 3G router would be the way to go – that way you could use any device with your Three account, laptop, PC, Xbox all at the same time and without extra fiddly dongles etc.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m not sure the OP is looking for a lesson on the basic of comms, i’m pretty sure he just wants a solution to his xbox connectivity issue!

This was his question.
    is an ethernet cable basically a phone cable (with the phone sockets)?

Which I answered.

allthepies has provided the easiest solution for this chap, but it’s expensive. An alternative would be cable the XBOX and PC together using a crossover cable, plug the dongle into the PC, create an ICS connector on the PC as you suggested, create a link network between the two devices and away he goes. Cheap, but expertise required. 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘is an ethernet cable basically a phone cable (with the phone sockets)?’ is closed to new replies.