Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Is Aluminium really that hard to weld cracks up?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I’ve cracked my socom on both sides of the top tube around a circular weld that holds the pivot to the front end. its about 1.5cm long on each side perfectly round the edge of the weld… can this be fixed or is it 0% finance on a £2000 demo8 frame time?

Please say it can be fixed!

ps I’m in France / Morzine if anyone knows of anything otherwise I can post it back!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yu can get them welded and there are people who will do it.

However depending on the type of alloy used the material properties may not be as good afterwards – the heat of the welding may alter them in a variety of ways – so it may fail again.

personally I would get an alloy frame repaired by a reputable person. Not your local welder but someone who does this sort of work regularly

Wozza
    Free Member

I take it you’re out of warranty? Give Intense a call and see if the can help you out? If not a post on here a few days ago recommended this guy.

Vernon Barker

wwaswas

the headtube on my sons Kona was welded up before we got it. It’s been fine for 2 years.

blackblur
    Free Member

We bumped into someone in Cannock a few weeks back who’d just had his Orange 5 welded up somewhere around the BB area. He said it lasted about 40 minutes before cracking again.

alexxx
    Free Member

dohh – the problem is im a fairly hard rider – living in morzine and doing lots of runs each day and hitting all the drops / jumps that I see – Its been making a noise for 2 days then I noticed the cracks – it would save me 2k so it is worth a punt – ive dropped that guy an email but his site looks old as hell any other options?

alexxx
    Free Member

oh and its an 07 so well out of warentee

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

It’s not difficult. The alloy used in the Socom requires artificial aging though, so the weld will go again pretty quickly.

The kona example isn’t really a valid comparison, the alloy used in that will naturally age in a few months.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thats intense man!

Too much flap jack I reckon.

The only sensible solution I can see is put the parts off the Socom onto the Dialled Alpine and make a true “long travel hardcore hardtail”. Perfect for trips to the alps, big days out in the lakes, or sunday sessions on the fox run.

I went to barrow for some shopping last week and saw a kid on a saracen with triple clamps. He was grinning from ear to ear, he also had a big bag of pick and mix. Give it a go

alexxx
    Free Member

aww so there is no permanent way the socom can be fixed kenneth?

dave I’m doing it! really! think chris banard on flapjack!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

If it’s T6 heat treated to regain full hardness it would need to go through the heat treatment process again, although just by age hardening, ie welding it and letting it sit for a few months it should naturally achieve around T4 hardness.

Edit: I’m not an expert, I just did a fair bit of reading up before having a 6061 T6 frame repaired, that’s still going good.

I’ve got a spare 07 UZZI VPX front end that should match up with the rest of your frame if all else fails.

alexxx
    Free Member

do you have an idea of price for the uzzi front end mate? I’ll need to check specs online also but a rough price would be great – If I didnt have a few months to wait would the heat process be pretty easy to achieve at a metal workers in the uk?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

dave I’m doing it! really! think chris banard on flapjack!

Yes, you’ll become a legend!

Dont buy another intense cos it’ll crack, they all do dont they?

Get something new with a warranty from one of the big names (giant, specialized, trek etc) or some solid 2nd hand option like an Azonic Recoil.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few cracked and welded frames go on to crack again. But I’ve also seen a frame repaired by a guy that welds helicopters for a living have no further issues. I think much will depend on the quality of the welder involved.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I think much will depend on the quality of the welder involved.

Yeah those welders that dont take the material beyond about 300 deg C are the ones to go for. 😉

From the sound of the type of your riding, you’ll be needing a local heat treat done on the weld, Possible. But I’d be applying for a 0% CC if I were you.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Infact, there was a local shredder round our way called Sam. He used to ride a Grossman – could be worth a look?

Or maybe find one of those 2 for 1 Kona Stinky/Rocky Mountain frame deals, then you’ve got one as a back up.

kiwijohn

This is the swing arm from my Iron Horse MkIII.

If you look closely, you can see where I’ve had it fixed.
    I had the original crack welded, but it went again pretty quick. The second time I sent it to Melbourne to get done properly.
    With them out of business, no chance of getting another new one. It just rides so beautifully, I can’t let it die.

alexxx
    Free Member

sending the frame to Vernon Baker he quoted me £60 including uk postage so that sounds well worth a punt! told him to make it look as ugly as he likes just to try and get it as strong as he feels he can!

for the time being im not riding what I’d like to call the jesus bike

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

How many days till;

“Is Steel really that hard to weld cracks up?”

Thankfully its dead easy.

I have full faith in the Alpine though, a true hardcore hardtail! The headangle looks half decent and the bb doesnt look too high either.

alexxx
    Free Member

haha yeah it’ll be fine dave the forks sag a good 4″ 😀

jruk
    Free Member

Obviously I wouldn’t recommend it but I’ve heard of people driving over their damaged bikes and claiming on their car insurance. Tut tut.

alexxx
    Free Member

is that with fully comp? I dont know how i could make that work on 3rd party if one was to be an ill eagle

jruk
    Free Member

I’d imagine they had fully comp with no claims protection (and didn’t tell the wife).

alexxx
    Free Member

lol

schrickvr6
    Free Member

£100 plus post for the front triangle if all else fails.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Is Aluminium really that hard to weld cracks up?’ is closed to new replies.