Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)
  • Is Aaron Gwin human?
  • oxnop
    Free Member

?

The other guys just must be perplexed, how does he do it……..

(he seems like a throughly nice bloke too)

Rorschach
    Free Member

He has god as his co-pilot.

stanfree
    Free Member

Great race , Gwinn is a beast and made great runs from Minaar , Gee and beaumont look ordinary.
    Well done to Rachel Atherton as well.

Red Bull coverage was great but miss Rob Warner letting loose.

Coyote
    Free Member

Coverage on Freecaster was pretty good.

Excellent racing. Really enjoyed it.

SBrock
    Free Member

I don’t think Gee and Mark are ordinary!! They are friggin fast….

As for Gwin Jesus Christ, Warner is right the guy needs a check up from the head up…..**** me

oxnop
    Free Member

As we get closer to the top guys you can see the speed ramping and Gee looked super quick, then Gwin comes down making those that came before look s l o w.

Red Bull coverage was great but miss Rob Warner letting loose.

Agreed, I don’t miss the lag or downtime of freecaster but reckon Rob is on a tight leash whilst working with RB

stanfree
    Free Member

Should maybe rephrase Gee and Minaar exceptional runs but Gwinn is just something else. Didn’t even seem out of breath a minute after finishing his run.

chakaping
    Free Member

Awesome race, Gwin is a machine.

Great to see Sam Hill back on it too. Most entertaining run of the day for me.

stevede
    Free Member

That was a cracking couple of hours of racing, great coverage from red bull – they’ve definately put a `calm down a bit’ clause in warners contract though haven’t they!
    Aaron Gwin was immense, nice to see Beaumont up there too, the track looked like it had everything a world cup track should have – steep, rough and technical. Roll on fort bill next weekend.

bill-oddie
    Free Member

I don’t think gwin looked that much faster on the footage really? I think just a teensie bit quicker in many places and no mistakes on quite a long track just adds up. Gee had a shady moment and still got a 3rd spot so obviously going pretty quick elswhere.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member

He has god as his co-pilot.

His bike’s only got one seat though.

ska-49
    Free Member

Loved it! Great days racing with some great results.
    How Gwin had over 7 seconds up is beyond me though..

I miss Robs old ways. The Danny comment was great though. That said 3 of my house mates had to come in to see what was happening.

billysugger
    Free Member

Ratboy did well to finish. That was a pretty big spill.

Gwinn though, holy shit.

chakaping
    Free Member

Dunno if Warner has really changed that much.

That Olympics line was a classic “did he really just say that?” Warnerism.

Northwind

Warner doesn’t seem that different to me- sure he’s less excitable than he can be but then, they’ve not really been the most exciting of races so far. Today was good but didn’t give him that much to get excited about. Cunny’s not as good a sidekick for him either. Bring back Brett Tippie! HAHAAAAAA HAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

aguesty1
    Free Member

Comment of the show “Hart has balls that big, he has to wear a hammock” (or something along those lines)!

kudos100
    Free Member

Amazing racing. Cam Cole’s two wheeled drift, Sam hill getting loose and Gwin making everyone look ordinary.

It’s mindblowing how Gwin is so smooth and composed, as long as he doesn’t have any serious injuries I can see him smashing the records for DH (apart from Nico Vs world champs record)

Coyote
    Free Member

Just waiting for TJ to come along now and educate us to how crap DH is on TV. 😆

bikeytom
    Free Member

What I don’t understand is how he seemed to come out of nowhere and start making every single other rider look like they aren’t trying, 5 wins last year and possibly one season with no wins before that? Was he even riding bikes before that? How can any one become that good that fast?!

colournoise

Surely God means nothing when you have Johnny T as your co-pilot?

slainte 💡 rob

steve_b77
    Free Member

I get the feeling he’s been rather handy on 2 wheels since before he started school!!

Aaron Gwin started his cycling career off early racing BMX from age 4. By age 8 Gwin was racing all the nationals. At age 12 Gwin moved on to motocross and raced up until he was 17 when he quit due to constant injuries. In 2008 at age 20 Gwin was loaned a bike by fellow professional downhill racer and good friend Cody Warren and was encouraged to compete in a race. In his first race in the Fontana Winter Series he got 3rd and began racing from then on, quickly signing with Yeti Cycles.[3] He has since won two United States National Championships for Downhill, in 2009 and in 2010. Both were held in SolVista, Colorado

bren2709

Coyote give it time, he will be along soon to educate us all in the sport of snail racing! 😛

chakaping
    Free Member

Glad there’s only a week until the next race, but gutted that fate conspired against my plan to get to Fort William in person this year.

mikey74
    Free Member

What I don’t understand is how he seemed to come out of nowhere and start making every single other rider look like they aren’t trying, 5 wins last year and possibly one season with no wins before that? Was he even riding bikes before that? How can any one become that good that fast?!

He hasn’t exactly come out of nowhere: He was around before, but just didn’t put it together. However, in recent years he’s been trained by the legendary John Tomac and that appears to have made all the difference.

deviant
    Free Member

Great race to watch, DH is very TV friendly on a course like Val Di Sole, the bikes moving around all over the place, the steepness clearly visible on TV and the racers following each other thick and fast….no dead airtime so to speak and great commentary from Rob Warner….

….Gwin is incredible, it’s good for the sport too, Gee and Minaar will have to up their game and the kids (Hart, Cole etc) have a target too.

Nice to see Peaty mixing it with the kids too, top 15 finish is very respectable for his age and in this company!

billysugger
    Free Member

I might just have to trawl up to Fort Bill on my bill after watching that.

tang
    Free Member

So fast and smooth! Harsh to hear CG is smashed up. Hit a tree, broke his leg and shattered his hip with the impact.

mikey74
    Free Member

Anywhere to watch the highlights?

tang
    Free Member
    flap_jack
    Free Member

He looks stronger, so can hold onto the harder suspension setup ? Immense, whatever…

billysugger
    Free Member

Who else is heading up with their bike to have a run at the hill on Monday? Any long range weather forecasts anywhere? Skint but so tempted, only live once don’t you, probably

dingabell
    Free Member

Is it just me, or would the olympics have benefitted from some of this downhill excitement rather than a XC race round a field in Essex? I know you’d have to stage it at the other end of the country but so what? Aren’t the olympics suposed to be for everyone? I think even people that have never watched a downhill race in their life would still find this pretty gripping.

billysugger
    Free Member

Nope, not just you dingabell

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Gwin’s obviously really talented, but he also pays top dollar on sports coaching (including the sessions with JT), more so than the other Pros. Think his approach to training is making a few people review what they do 8)

bren2709

TJ wouldn’t he finds it boring and slow.

scud
    Free Member

He beat the field by 8 seconds, yet less than 10 seconds between 2nd and 30th positions!

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Gwin is at that point, he’s on another level.. a different understanding of whats possible, belief, willing, determination. phenomenal.

dont try and catch him.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Awesome racing, had to give up last night (Oz time zones) as the coverage didn’t start till halfway through.

The cameras are better than last year but missing the depth of the coverage from freecaster. Only having 2hrs for a 4 day meet is a shame. Especially as we have a “What can you do in <INSERT VENUE>” commercial and all that. Warner sounds like the free beer has been moved further away – I remember one race hearing the empties getting flung out the window.

DH is a great sport to watch could do with some more. Where is all the MTB cut vids and the rest, used to be loads of stuff around last year. Seen a couple of Helmet Cams and thats it this year

atlaz
    Free Member

It does seem people periodically step it up in terms of professionalism. The Athertons pushed 3 or so years ago, the Santa Cruz lot before that and now Gwin is taking it to the next level with Trek. Also you never see much by way of social media stuff about him partying with everyone so perhaps also there’s a little less of that “extreme sports” mentality and he’s approaching it as a professional sportsman where he knows he has limited shelf-life and wants to win as much as possible.

jam-bo

He looks stronger, so can hold onto the harder suspension setup ? Immense, whatever…

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere his suspension setup is ridiculously hard to go faster. To the point most other riders would struggle to ride it at speed and stay on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Is Aaron Gwin human?’ is closed to new replies.