Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • is a stem thats refered to as 73 deg actually a 17deg ?
  • firestarter
    Free Member

i think so as it adds up to 90 but maybe im being thick lol

jamesb
    Free Member

Yes that would be my understanding (17 deg not being thick!)LOL 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

Where did you see that ? Stems are + or -ve from the horizontal.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

you are holding it upside down

firestarter
    Free Member

thanks mate thought so but thought id better check lol

firestarter
    Free Member

dont care if its upside down so long as it gives me 17deg rise one of the ways round

scaredypants

so long as it gives me 17deg rise one of the ways round

(guess)
    I don’t think it will – 73 would suggest it rises at 73 deg from perpendicular to the line of the steerer, wouldn’t it ?

ie, getting on for vertically up (if head angle 1s 70 or so) or down at about 45 or so

(/guess)

firestarter
    Free Member

just checked the stem on another site and its refered to as as 73/107 and apparently the 107 gives 17deg rise. far too confusing lol

simondbarnes

I don’t think it will – 73 would suggest it rises at 73 deg from perpendicular to the line of the steerer, wouldn’t it ?

No. Quite often stem angles are quoted as the difference from 90 deg. A 73 deg stem is a -17 deg stem using the the other naming convention.

Woody
    Free Member

What stem/mfr is it? Link?

scaredypants

No. Quite often stem angles are quoted as the difference from 90 deg. A 73 deg stem is a -17 deg stem using the the other naming convention.

FFS, 2 competing conventions, even for stem rise ?! 🙄

actually, just had a quick shufty on Parkers as I was going to suggest maybe roasdies had always done this, but they don’t. Seems cinelli do this ^ way and “everyone” else (who says anything about angles – many don’t, at least on Parker’s site including some 200 quid ones) seems to use the other

simondbarnes

Seems cinelli do this ^ way and “everyone” else (who says anything about angles – many don’t, at least on Parker’s site including some 200 quid ones) seems to use the other

Ritchey and Pro use both 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

It’s obviously an Italian ‘thing’ as ITM appear to do the same.

firestarter
    Free Member

at least i was right lol thanks all

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘is a stem thats refered to as 73 deg actually a 17deg ?’ is closed to new replies.