• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Is a spur off the boiler supply okay to do?
  • DT78
    Free Member

I need a plug in the loft to run cctv the easiest way to do this is to use the power supply to the boiler which is an upstairs landing cupboard, junction box and run through the ceiling of the cupboard into the loft space.

Any concerns with this approach? If I put the junction before the boilers spear ate fuse?

martinhutch

boilers spear ate fuse?

Autocorrect has made our lives better…

Depends on the rating of the boiler supply circuit, and how much potential draw there is from whatever you’re proposing to plug in.

You’d need a separate fused 13A connection box between the boiler supply and your plug.

Obviously strictly speaking a new spur would need a spark to do this and sign it off, but I’m sure you know the potential pitfalls of doing your own work, aside from a grisly electrified death or waking up in the smouldering ruins of your family home, that is.

Flaperon

If your wiring goes FCU -> boiler & CCTV, I can’t see how it’d cause a problem. I think that spur-off-a-spur restrictions wouldn’t apply in this case. If you had two FCUs that could draw 13A each supplied by 2.5mm (which might only have a rating of 20A when installed), then clearly there could be a problem.

You might need to upgrade the 3A fuse that *should* be installed in the FCU though.

Edit: just re-read your post. Technically if boiler not on its own circuit then it would be spur off a spur, which is forbidden. You could do it, but you need to consider what would happen if someone other than you modified the installation in the future.

DT78
    Free Member

Tbh the long list of Cowboyed jobs I’m finding in this house makes me want to do things myself. (It wasn’t the owner as she was in her late 60s and the neighbours have talked about the workmen)

Boiler install is less than 4 years. From what I can tell not a seperate circuit, so probably run from the mains ring, it has a seperate fuse installed next to it. I’ll check the fuse rating when I get a chance.

The cctv really shouldn’t draw a huge amount of power. Sure I can find it somewhere in the manual

DT78
    Free Member

I am seriously considering getting the whole place re wired but not sure how disruptive that is when we are living here too.

Flaperon

Well, the regulations are designed to protect people from inadvertently killing themselves or burning the place down. The thing is that any electrical installation requires care and competence for a safe outcome, not just slavish compliance and quoting of regulations.

My last place had an electrical test certificate (new build) yet had an FCU wired incorrectly in the kitchen, breaking the ring and leaving an appliance permanently energised.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

If the wiring’s a lash up I’d get the place rewired,at least then you know the wiring’s done right.
    When I bought my current house,& the previous one,the first major task was to get them rewired & replumbed. It’s very disruptive but you know you’re going to need it doing sooner or later so I’d bite the bullet.No point doing any decorating or fitting new flooring if the walls need chasing or the floor’s got to come up.As a former spark it’s also quite worrying what you find when you start looking.. 😯

northernmatt

…not sure how disruptive that is when we are living here too.

Very, especially if they run entirely new wiring from the consumer unit and you have brick walls. We got ours done before we moved in and the amount of mess and dust from chasing the walls huge. Luckily the house was a shell and we were re-plastering anyway so we didn’t mind. I would not have wanted it done while living there.

Edit: I found this while pulling down a false ceiling. This is what made us get the rewire done.

DT78
    Free Member

Yea I’ve already found live wires just rolled up under the boards not connected to any outletor made safe…

Well for now I’ve done a little bodge. Small hole in wall and ceiling run a long extension lead from the nearest plug. Doesn’t look pretty but it’s the back box room that will get done at some point.

What’s the rough time / cost for a rewire? Large 4 bed probably want the consumer unit replaced too as it’s around 12 years old

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Is a spur off the boiler supply okay to do?’ is closed to new replies.