Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Is a Minion DHF over the top for a winter XC front tyre?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Just wondering…

I tend to use 2.1″ Nevegals most of the year, but find that in the depths of winter they struggle in some of the mud. I am reluctant to go for a full on mud tyre however.

I am looking for something about the same width as a 2.1″ Nevegal with a bit more cornering bite.

So I was wondering, would a single ply 2.35″ folding Minion DHF give me better cornering ability for winter? I gather they roll reasonably well so hopefully wouldn’t kill my speed on the road/dry bits. Or is this a totally OTT choice?

I would be running tubeless so don’t care too much about the extra weight over a Nevegal.

wwaswas

I just put a supertacky on the front and 60 on the back of my singlespeed recently.

Other than green chalk and some very wet off camber roots I’ve been getting good traction everywhere.

poppa
    Free Member

Not sure i’d go supertacky though…?!

anc
    Free Member

Superb tyre in the lakes great on rocks brilliant round whinlatter, corner like no other tyre I’ve used… But note of caution, there not so hot if the mud is sticky as they’re very knobbly and don’t shed sticky mud very well. Rarely get that here so not a problem for me.

P.s run the 60a and it has more than enough grip tubeless at 30psi with stans.

jools182
    Free Member

what do they roll like?

been thinking about some for my patriot, but its already hard enough climbing without draggy tyres

anc
    Free Member

They roll much easier than my previous UST fat alberts(which rolled well) but I’m saving 200g a wheel so the weight saving probably explains this.

wwaswas

I had Intense CC’s on there before – I’ve not really noticed a major difference but it has got generally ‘stickier’ under tyre since I fitted them so direct comparisons are difficult.

Certainly noisier on tarmac which I guess equates to more resistance.

tbh, on the SS the issue with climbing is more my legs and lungs than the tyres and the rest of the time a few percent more drag doesn’t really matter.

retro83
    Free Member

Not ideal mud tyres IMHO, at least on the clay round here they don’t clear very quickly.

thebunk

Supertackys front and 60a rear – the ultimate skills compensator – wet roots, rocks etc just crumble before me. They are draggy on fireroads and tarmac (you can hear the tarmac being ripped up as you pedal along) – but then they are brilliant for techy climbs when you need a lot of grip.

Probably not for you if you worry about rolling speed and draggyness though.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Get a swamp thing and trim it. Otherwise a std highroller is a bit more ‘open’ than a minion, and clears a bit better. I find them pretty good in sloppy conditions for a non-mud tyre, They’ll still bind up in clag though, as will any non-mud tyre (and quite a few of them too 🙂 )

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I’m running the Minion DHF 2.35 60A folding on my Blur LT. Very impressed as an all round tyre and they do roll well. OK in mud as an all rounder but obviously not as good as a mud specific tyre – but they will be much draggier.

poppa
    Free Member

Hmm. Ok, thanks for the replies guys. I guess the only real worry I have based on this discussion is mud performance. I don’t expect them to be as good as a dedicated mud tyre, but if they are similar/worse than a Nevegal there is probably no point making the transition.

So a High Roller performs better in mud?

RustySpanner

I’ve ended up with a 2.35 DHF Super Tacky on the front of a 100mm XC hardtail – bought for my partner to get her confidnce back after a crash, but she didn’t fancy it.

As others have said, you can feel it dragging heavily, but gives so much confidence, even on slate and rooty, muddy trails. Feels like it’s never going to let go – so grippy it’s even made the steering heavier at low speeds.

I like it a lot, massive overkill 99% of the time, but well worth trying out for the money and loads of fun.

They may look a bit like a High Roller, but seem to have grip all over the width of the carcass, not just in the middle and right on the edge.

soobalias
    Free Member

i went from a 2.35 nevegal to a 2.35 (60a) DHF. seemed to roll much better, grip better and dig into mud better…

i hated the nevegals they were slow, heavy and unpredictable ime.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I found nevegals OK in the dry, and absolutely awful in the wet. I find HRs fine in gloop, if anything the transition from centre-to-knobble is less of an issue in the wet. The Minion is a better tyre, but not as open.

retro83
    Free Member

poppa – Member
    So a High Roller performs better in mud?

I’d say that unless the DHF becomes clogged, the DHF is better, the HR seems to spin out easier when climbing on wet roots, rocks etc. As above the HR does clear better though.

poppa
    Free Member

I’d say that unless the DHF becomes clogged, the DHF is better, the HR seems to spin out easier when climbing on wet roots, rocks etc.

Ok, but i’m only going to put one on the front! Looks like a coin-toss between HR and DHF.

As for using a cut-down wet scream… I thought that was what downhill racers did?

retro83
    Free Member

poppa – Member
    Ok, but i’m only going to put one on the front! Looks like a coin-toss between HR and DHF.

😳 Can’t read!

On the front, its much the same, but I think the DHF is better under braking (less tendancy to slide sideways).

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Indeed, DHF ‘better’ tyre, HR ‘better’ at shedding mud, only you can decide which is preferable where you ride.

I suggested a trimmed swamp thing. I wouldn’t run a wet scream unless we’re talking 4′ deep mud on an 80 degree slope.

poppa
    Free Member

Ok. In that case, whilst for some inexplicable reason the Minion appeals to me more, it sounds like the HR is the more sensible option.

I ride dirt more than rocks and I specifically want it to corner better than the Nev in moderate mud.

Will I have to re-learn to corner?!

P.S Sorry I misread the cut-down swampthing – I did think a wet-scream was a bit OTT!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero

I suggested a trimmed swamp thing. I wouldn’t run a wet scream unless we’re talking 4′ deep mud on an 80 degree slope.

A trimmed swamp thing would be a bit pointless imo as the knobs are already quite stubby. I find it an unpredictable front tyre at the best of times anyway. A better option if you can find one would be a 2.2 60a wet scream trimmed. Think they even did a single ply version. Or failing that a medusa, would do the same job, great tyre for xc in the mud, even roll okay considering how well they cut through mud. Much better compromise than a trail raker imo and shed a whole load better than a minnion.

poppa
    Free Member

UPDATE:

Thanks for the advice guys, 2.35″ folding bead High Roller in 60a flavour now fitted and (so far) very happy.

A smidge bigger than a 2.1″ Nevegal, and it was a total PITA to fit tubeless (Stans). My Nevegals went up very easily in comparison, I wonder if it is because they were old/used. I managed it in the end, but only by using a very concentrated washing up liquid solution. I literally bellowed with relief when it went up.

One ride in and I am very happy. The tread is significantly more open than the Nevegal and it seems to be less affected by the mud. Cornering felt fine, didn’t really experience the transition from centre to side knobs apart from maybe once. The carcass seems more robust than the Kenda, to the point where for a given PSI it feels stiffer/less compliant – I may have to use less pressure with the HR. Does feel a tiny bit slower to me, but not a problem.

Overall: pleased, but wont know for sure until a couple of months down the line.

chickenman

have a Minion on the front and Nevegal on the rear; both the same width despite the 0.25″ size difference.
    Realized recently I had the Nevegal on back to front so changed it round; think I’ll change it back because now the ramps cut through the mud instead of gripping when you put the power on uphill (even when seated!)

Xylene
    Free Member

I have a love hate relationship with my Swampthings.

Pumped up to 35 they aren’t too bad climbing, but they do make it harder work than my barro mountains, BUT, going down hill, up hill in mud and roots, over rock, stone, grave, slime, they are really confidence inspiring.

I keep thinking about putting them up for sale, but I just love them and then hate them again

Northwind

Minion’s not overkill, after all even the 2.35 is skinny, it ought to cut mud decently… But was really underwhelmed with the things, they’re heavy and in 60a don’t have massive grip but also don’t roll all that fast. Not sure what the fuss is about really. Good grip when they’ve got a surface they can dig into though.

StuE
    Free Member

Bonty Mud X roll better IMO

santacrews
    Free Member

Ive got MINIONS fitted, They dont shed mud that well at all.

They do stick like SH!T to a Cat tho ! and they do drag a LOT !
    Which isnt too bad at this time of year for me because if i go too fast at this time of year it usually results in an off.

Overall i,m more than happy them i just have to put a bit more effort in from the legs and lungs department and i,m rewarded with GRIP !

And they are dual ply !
    Which means i dont have to keep stopping to fix pinch flats…….

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Is a Minion DHF over the top for a winter XC front tyre?’ is closed to new replies.