Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Is a Mazda 5 a good car for bikes/family?! (Or any other recommendations?)
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

So our car unexpectedly – and rather spectacularly – failed it’s MOT today so we now need to find a replacement ASAP.

I really like the look of the Mazda 5 (2005ish), but they’re a bit pricey for us, so I’m looking for some info to help persuade my husband to up our budget! 🙂

Or if no one rates them, could anyone else recommend a different family car which would be good for biking too?

Thanks in advance!

garage-dweller

Do you want / need a people carrier??

When we bought a car a couple of years ago a C-max for 4k would be older and in less good condition than a mondeo (hatch), which is what we bought newer and cleaner at sub3k. Wouldn’t have touched a c max at that price (although I ractually really liked them).

Our 2 mondeos have been very good family cars (04 and 05). A large hatch or estate will get you more car for your cash and of that era I would look at Octavia, Mondeo, Passat, Mazda 6, Avensis, Accord etc.

If you want an mpv c max worth a look, would avoid the scenic maybde because we didn’t rate the Megane we had although I have a friend who loves his.

I also liked the mMazda 5.

joolsburger
    Free Member
    MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks garage-dweller. I think you’re right and an estate/large hatch would do us no problem; I think I was just wooed by the flat folding back seats! Likelihood would be we’d only use them once in a blue moon though. I hadn’t realised that estates/large hatch represented far better value for money than MPCs, so sounds like for a budget of £3k ish we’re probably best off going for one of those. Any model a particular favourite?

Thanks too joolsbuger – I had checked that earlier. Seems to be a really useful site.

garage-dweller

Mm

We obviously rate the Mondeos! BUT any of those cars and others of similar type worth a look.

If you get a modern diesel look for a receipt/ evidence of the clutch and dual mass fly wheel having been done. On any of those that will be a big bill. For lower mileage (sub 10-15k per year) I would be looking at petrol engines. Lower economy but cheaper to buy generally and less big things to go wrong at higher mileages (ie no turbo or diesel fuel pump or dmf).

That’s just a personal view.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks garage dweller, that’s really helpful. In the past we’ve always gone for diesels as my husband used to commute on the motorway so did a lot of miles. However, now we only really use the car for getting around town and the odd 1.5hr trip to my parents, so I was thinking a petrol would suit us better these days.

Thanks for the advice – I’ll take all the help I can get!

Oh and our current car is a focus and has been pretty good over all, so I would definitely consider a Ford again. After 13 years of hard driving the Focus’ engine is still going strong – it’s just everything else that’s falling apart!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have an Accord estate which cost around that. I can fit two bikes in the back with the wheels on with the seats folded down. It has dual climate control, heated seats, leather, good stereo, sunroof blah blah blah, 2 litre petrol chain cam ivtec engine which is about as reliable as it gets. It is comfortable, economical and takes two kids, two large dogs, luggage, body boards. wet suits and christ knows what else in comfort. I reckon I’ll see 150k before anything needs doing and servicing is actually really cheap, done 10k so far and just needed 1 litre of oil in that time. Best buy for that money IMHO. It’s not very nice to look at but I’m inside it so I don’t have to look at it! As I’ve got older I’ve decided that a good heater, space, comfy seats and reliability are my main priorities.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks Joolesburger, if we could find something like that, we’d be very happy indeed! Bikes, boards, small children all being accounted for sounds perfect! And totally agree with comfort being king! Will have a look for an Accord on Auto Trader now! 🙂

sglaw
    Free Member

Gotta say I’d go for the Mondeo for the money. Great cars to run and mine gets two kids and enough bikes for the three of us to go riding when mum is at work.

Lummox

My wife’s got a Mazda 5,

Make an ace child/ bike wagon if I didn’t own a van.

Multi position seats and extras in the boot
    Roof rails for on top of roof carriers
    Fairly tall inside
    Comfy interior (not the plushest admittedly)
    Drives nice and nippy

**** biggest plus*****
    SLIDING REAR DOORS no doors whacked into things by kids, loads of access to rear area and seats. We bought the car because of this up against a ford C max

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Is a Mazda 5 a good car for bikes/family?! (Or any other recommendations?)’ is closed to new replies.