Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Is a high roller somewhere between the minion and ardent?
  • theendisnigh
    Free Member

I’ve been running super tacky minions front and back, like them, great grip, but can be a bit draggy. So I tried a LUST Ardent on the rear, but I can’t live with the loss of cornering grip in mud i.e. breaking away so violently it almost causes me to crash. Is a high roller somewhere between the minion and ardent? Or maybe I’d be better off with a harder compound minion, or just accepting the drag from my super tacky.

wallop

Depends how you ride I think. I prefer a 60a Minion DHF to a High Roller, as I don’t like the big gap between the centre tread and the ‘shoulders’.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

what is it that makes you prefer the minion? more grip?

FieldMarshall

Likewise didnt get on with HRs, but really rate minions.

Didnt like that vague section between the centre lugs and the edge.

Minions grip more consistently across the tyre, but possibly let go a bit earlier than the HR.

I run Super tacky front and 60a rear.

wallop

Yep, to me it feels more grippy – particularly on off-camber stuff.

carlphillips
    Free Member

minions all day.. ace tyre. (dh not on my trail bike)

theendisnigh
    Free Member

FieldMarshall, is that a rear specific minion?

wallop

In the Alps I had ST DHF on the front and 60a DHF on the rear. Winning combo for me out there.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Yes they are VERY grippy, just a bit draggy for flatter rides. maybe I should just man up and get on with it. Thats the conclusion i am coming to here.

nuke

Like Minions, dislike HRs. My preference on the rear when a Minion isn’t needed is an Advantage 2.25 : they size up pretty big and it looks pretty similar in size to the Minion 2.5 on the front.

patriotpro
    Free Member

theendisnigh – Member
    what is it that makes you prefer the minion? more grip?

I’ve never trusted a tyre or felt more confident as I have with a Minion on the front. They seem to have pit-bull type bite and grip. That’s with the 60a MaxxPro version.

I’ve never experienced the ‘Slow Reezay’ but I imagine the grip (based on my experience with the 60a) to be other-worldly!

Johnbot
    Free Member

What about Advantage? Never hear them mentioned in Maxxis conversations

mrbump
    Free Member

a 60a high roller rear with a minion dhf super tacky front is the combo i use. you will find it faster than your current set up and the high roller is better for braking on the rear than a minion. you won’t loose corning grip either.
    you would also find a 60a minion on the rear a lot quicker than the super tacky.

SimonR

A few thoughts on the HR2 compared with Minions ….

Quite liking the high roller 2 back and front – seem to clear dirt more quickly than minions – also maybe a bit more grip in-line for climbing and braking.

EXO sidewall gives enough protection too without having to go for dual-ply which is a good thing.

The sizing is pretty good too – the 2.4 comes up a good size for rocky and rooty trails.

Looks to have a more rounded profile than the Minion but that could just be down to tyre size (Minion 2.25 against the 2.4 HR2).

Grip through bends and off-camber sections is more than adequate – holds a line nicely until. I don’t really see a huge difference to the Minion in this respect.

juan
    Free Member

Minion is more directionnal than HR, however HR is more appropriate for hard braking. Ardent on the rear is an excellent tyre, but in summer I much prefer the Xmrk.
    Bear in mind that if you’re using a HR or a minion on the front it’s to actually “use” it, so you should change your riding accordingly, and put as much weight forward as you can.

rocketman
    Free Member

Is a high roller somewhere between the minion and ardent?

High Rollers are indeed pitched between Minions and Ardents but Advantages fill the gap between Ardents and High Rollers.

Whereas Ardents have interrupted shoulder knobs and shallow centre paddles, Advantages have Minion-esque shoulders and more defined centre tread but at the same time the tread is on the same rounded carcass as an Ardent.

High Rollers & Minions are very much square profile.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Are you guys using the Rear specific Minions or are you using the Sam Hill Method of a Front Minion with the rolling direction reversed on the rear????

FieldMarshall

I use Minion DHF on the front and rear (just didnt get on with the Minion DHR). And both in the “right” direction.

However, i know some people run a HR on the rear, back to front.

Interestingly in the Alps last year, I was on Minions and my friend on HRs and there appeared to be no difference in speed, grip, braking etc, as were within seconds of each other on every run.

So personal preference is a big factor. I just dont like that ” let go and then grip again” feeling that you get from a HR when really cranked over.

wallop

I use Minion DHF on the front and rear (just didnt get on with the Minion DHR). And both in the “right” direction.

+1

rocketman
    Free Member

Are you guys using the Rear specific Minions

No-one uses DHRs

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Just checking I wasn’t missing something there, I’ve always used 2 fronts 🙂

crush83
    Free Member

hi guys,

I have never run minions but i do run HR2 2.4 EXO front and rear on my orange crush and compared to the 2.2 Mountain kings i had on before they are a revelation. so much grip in muddy sections and over wet, slippery roots ( ones that pulled me off on the MK’s) they are IMO confidence inspireing.

just my 2p’s worth

cloudnine
    Free Member

So which maxxis for hoofing round the woods on my charge blender and not washing out the front in thin layers of slippery mud.. Nearly killed myself to death with a bonty xr4 on the front

crush83
    Free Member

HR2 in my limited opinion.

i use them as a one tyre for all conditions, all year round tyre.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Been told running the old HR’s on the front meant certain death, so only ever used them on the back with a DHF on the front. Any truth in this tale?

mickyfinn
    Free Member

There’s no-one to confirm mate they’re all dead 🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

running the old HR’s on the front meant certain death

There was/is a definite gap in the tread between the shoulder knobs and the centre paddles. The first time you hit it, it doesn’t feel too good but the reality is you’re only about 10 degrees off vertical and the way the shoulders dig in you can kid yourself you’ve ‘saved’ it.

Once you know its there and you know what happens it’s a non-event

mrblobby
    Free Member

I can see why because of that it works really well on the back, not sure about the front though.

jwt
    Free Member

ST HR front and 60a HR rear………..not dead yet, also sometimes use an Ardent on the rear.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mixed minion and hr is something I hate the bike just feels wrong.

I gave up on super tacky due to drag and cost then I found that it was nearly as good. I only use st for racing.

Hr2 is interesting mixes better with a minion front and corners well but not used it wet yet.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Cheers for all the info, I was actually using a rear specific minion, I found it very good for grip.
    I think I’ll stick it back on and accept the drag. When its worn out I’ll get a 60a. keep the ardent for longer, non-muddy rides.

kudos100
    Free Member

There was/is a definite gap in the tread between the shoulder knobs and the centre paddles. The first time you hit it, it doesn’t feel too good but the reality is you’re only about 10 degrees off vertical and the way the shoulders dig in you can kid yourself you’ve ‘saved’ it.

Sounds about right.

I run a high roller on the front for summer and as long as you aggressively lean the bike over it is fine. Any half hearted cornering and it can be a bit vague.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

HR front has a distinctive feel where it’s squirrelly as you start the turn but then on rails once you get on the side nobs. Clears mud ok due to that gap between side and centre mobs. Don’t run them hard; run them soft.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Is a high roller somewhere between the minion and ardent?’ is closed to new replies.