Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is a 100mm 29er enough travel??
  • montarius
    Free Member

Im in the market for a new FS bike (after frame cracked) and was looking at 29ers. I have noticed that 100mm seems to be the standard travel for these bikes.

Is 120mm enough? I do must of my riding in the surrey hills and swinley but do some trips to the trains in Wales as well ocasionally (Afan etc).

Will a 100mm 29er be enough or should I go for a 120mm 26er??

clubber
    Free Member

Define “enough”…

Plenty will ride everything you’ve mentioned fully rigid or 100mm fork only.

IME 100mm 29er feels similar-ish to a 120mm 26″ (and that’s a very ish because both those categories have a wide range of characteristics).

montarius
    Free Member

enough as in would it be a bumpy/harsh ride? Always saw 100mm as a XC style fork.

I am upgrading from a 120mm HT due to back issues but dont want to be left with a harsh ride as that would defeat the point!

Surprised at lack of responses telling you 100mm is enough for any bike.

Personally when I briefly considered a 29er, I was looking at a Cube Stereo @ 140mm

clubber
    Free Member

I’d say that the trails you’ve mentioned are XC trails… YMMV of course.

I’d say that if you’re happy with your 120mm 26″ hardtail then a 100mm 29er FS is going to feel very plush in comparison. That said, there are some good 120mm+ 29ers out there now – it’s all a compromise as ever – the more travel, the heavier and typically less efficient climbers they’ll be.

ahwiles
    Free Member

yes, it’s plenty.

pro-Dh’ers need/use 200mm-ish.

mere mortals will be riding stuff that’s half as gnarly*, half as fast*.

that’ll be 100mm being plenty for us then.

(*often a lot less than half)

jimw
    Free Member

I have a 110 mm travel Canyon AL29, it feels very similar to the 2009 130 mm trek ex9 in terms of suspension travel and agility in my local riding- Malverns mostly, but I am not an aggressive rider with very average skills. It does roll better though.

Interestingly (well it interests me), the Trek, bought in 2009 and the Canyon, bought in March 2013, weigh very similar amounts, the Trek is perhaps 3/4 lb lighter, and cost almost exactly the same. Taking inflation into account, the Canyon is effectively quite a lot cheaper with better quality wheels

clubber
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    yes, it’s plenty.

pro-Dh’ers need/use 200mm-ish.

mere mortals will be riding stuff that’s half as gnarly, half as fast.

that’ll be 100mm being plenty for us then.

I like that. I think it’s flawed though.

I’m about 1/2 to 1/4 as good as pro DHers so I need 200-400mm travel 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

or 800mm 😉

Marmoset
    Free Member

Yes, IMHO, I tested a Niner Jet 9 with 80mm on the rear and 100mm up front when looking to buy a 29er and came to the same conclusion that Clubber mentions, it does feel like more travelthanit is with bigger wheels. I ended up with an Rocky Mountain Element 970 with 95/100mm and it glides over stuff in a manner not unlike my previous cannondale Jekyll, which had 135/130mm

Deveron53
    Free Member

I have a29er with 120mm rear/140mm front and it rides as well as my old Nukeproof Mega with 140mm rear/160mm front.
    It all depends on what feels right. But ideally you need to ride a bike a good 2 weeks before you can tell if the bike’s right for you or not.
    I say MORE TRAVEL as long as the bike is designed to ride ok that way.

b
    Free Member

Looking at a similar dilemma at the moment…but I tend to prefer something a little more ‘exclusive’ than the mainstream brands! Had been looking at these with interest;

http://www.privateer.cc/2013/07/pivot-429-review.html

http://www.privateer.cc/2013/07/bmc-fs02-xt-2013-bike-review.html

Deveron53
    Free Member

Take a look at Yeti SB95 alloy or carbon if you’ve got a load of cash to spend. Are Yetis still ‘exclusive’?
    I once asked about Yetis in a branch of Evans (Castleford Snowdome one) and was told rather snottily: “oh, we don’t sell ‘niche’ bikes, sorry!”

steve_b77
    Free Member

For what you describe as your ‘normal’ riding I’d say so.

I live in Cheshire and ride around there a lot, also the Peaks and Wales, both natural and manmade in the case of the latter and my Anthem X1 is mroe than enough for the way I ride and what I ride.

I’ve ridden the Surry hills when I used to live down there and to be honest they’re a lot like Cheshire, but with more elevation so I reckon you’d be fine.

There are of course racier 100mm 29’ers and not so racy 100mm 29’ers

montarius
    Free Member

Ok great, thanks for the advice all.

Looks like the canyon al 29er might be the perfect solution for me.

Being 6’5 I am hoping it will look more in proportion as well!

Marmoset
    Free Member

It will, mine looks like its a 26er does under most people, I didn’t realise my 26er looked like a clown bike until I saw side to side photos of me on them 😆

shortcut

100mm hard tail 29er is enough for all that riding. Only time I am wishing for full Suss is on a flat bit in Swinley before you get to Seagull.

GaryLake
    Free Member

There is no need, only want.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Is a 100mm 29er enough travel??’ is closed to new replies.