Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • is 6'1" too big for a 16" frame?!
  • v666ern
    Free Member

looking at a 2nd hand LT HT which is a 16″ (dialled alpine) i want it playful but worried a 16″ is going to be just too small (33″ leg)

anything i could do to make it more ‘roomy’ or just miss out on this one

cheers

druidh
    Free Member

Have a word with yourself. Do you want to be known as Hora II?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

2x drain pipes

1 for seat post and 1 for stem

soobalias
    Free Member

im 6’0″ and just shifted on an 18″ MkII, which was absolutely perfect.

the 16″ wont fit you IMO.

dont con yourself with words like “chuckable” and standover is massive on an alpine so not a consideration.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP has a point – will be more flickable, also vertically compliant yet laterally stiff.

watsontony
    Free Member

im 6ft i used to ride a 17″ norco manik. depends what your doing on it. i was throwing myself downhills. if u into xc dont bother

druidh
    Free Member

What about square-edged hits al?

binners

You are Hora and I claim my Benny Hill box set! 😀

tinsy
    Free Member

I sold Hora that red bike.. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

druidh – 7.5 weight oil works best – lighter too than 10wt

v666ern
    Free Member

lol, thanks peeps…was kidding myself i know but it does look damn sweet

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dialled-bikes-alpine-frame-2?replies=2#post-4039079

swindonjay good luck with your sale!

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’m 6″2 and ride a recently posted 16 inch Dr Jekyll.
    It’s by far the most fun bike I own and can ride it all day with not too much bother.
    That being said I don’t ride xc on it.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I’m 6’3″ and ride an 18″ 456
    Been riding it daily over the last week and thinking I might be better off with the 20″.

I’ll be asking for a swap on the classifieds soon 🙂

kristoff
    Free Member

Depends what you intend to ride on it.

I have a 16 orange MsIsle and have started using it to commute and for general xc duties. It is way way to short and even with a long Thomson post its completely impossible to get a really good riding position.

For a short blast and general jumping/hopping about its great (what I bought it for originally), just not for me anymore.

I’m currently looking at swapping to a larger frame to suit my needs.

djflexure

I’m 6ft and sometimes ride my sons 15″ Rocklobster. Its brilliant for about 10 minutes. Then I get back on my normal sized bike.

GW
    Free Member

a 16″ seat tube will fit a 33″ inside leg with a 410mm post nicely so why would you want longer? unfortunately the seat tube is not the only measurement to be taken into account when buying a frame.

the only flicking Al and Druid are likely to do would involve each others banjo strings 8)

ask1974
    Free Member

6′ and ride a 17″ Five (16″ standover). It’s just on the small side but very playful which is what I wanted. I have a short leg at 30″ so at 33″ I recon your looking at something too small.

ahwiles
    Free Member

dufresneorama – Member

I’m 6’3″ and ride an 18″ 456
    Been riding it daily over the last week and thinking I might be better off with the 20″.

I’ll be asking for a swap on the classifieds soon

cough.

notaswapbut… i’ve got a 20″ ragley blue pig for sale*?

cough.

(*it deserves someone who’s less of a mincer than i am)

Duane…
    Free Member

FWIW, I ride a 14.5″ hardtail (long Giant STP, the same GW rides), and I’m about 6′ 0.5″. It is a little short for longer XC, but I manage.

chamley
    Free Member

Haha snap! Long STP here too, 6’1″ and a 410mm post. I run a 50mm stem and it rides fine. But it depends what you’re used to. I used to ride XC on a 24seven darkangel and had that for 7 years so I’m used to weird bikes…

GW
    Free Member

Duane, yours is 15″ mine’s 14″ or did you just split the difference? 😀

Duane…
    Free Member

Oh my bad haha, did a quick google and according to Mr.pinkbike, the two sizes were 13.5 and 14.5 😛

kudos100
    Free Member

Dammit this thread is making me want a small hardtail again! I had a 15″ ns surge, probably the most fun bike I have owned. Long tt and short stays.

I ran it with a 450mm post at full extension. I’m 6’3 with a 36 inside leg 😀

@OP you will be fine on a 16″ as long as you don’t plan on riding xc epics on it.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

ahwiles – I’m 185lbs of mince!
    Too much bike for me. Thanks anyway 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘is 6'1" too big for a 16" frame?!’ is closed to new replies.