Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Is 50 to old to ride off road
  • project
    Free Member

Met a chap last night he said he was 51,just bought a new bike he said and was off to llandegla on the weekend.

So is 50 a bit to old,if he has an off, he will damage himself, putting extra strain on the NHS, he may well injure himself to the extent he may well be off on the sick for a while, making a big drain on the company he works for,oh and the oldies are really slow,stopping all the time for toilet and drink/cake breaks.

Shouldnt 50 be a cut off and people over that age stick to Sustrans routes, or become walkers.

trout
    Free Member

ok Ragley mmbob for sale as to old to ride it now I am 55
    whereas me zimmerframe

Jamie
    Free Member

Is 50 to old to ride off road

If anyone takes the bait from this piss poor effort they should have to give up mtb'ing 8)

hels
    Free Member

Ha ha ha nice one. Considering the 20 year olds with the bodies of 80 year olds I see getting on the Uplift at weekends, I think he will do just fine.

How about we ban smokers – a few of them must pop a valve pushing their bikes up the hills. And don't start me on litter on the hill…

sadmadalan

I'll tell my wife that she is too old at 53 to have a weeks holiday in Morzine biking every day. We are planning to head to Whistler next year, but based on your advice, I'll bin it and book a SAGA cruise instead!

allthepies
    Free Member

do not feed etc…

tron
    Free Member

Have you seen the trailers for "Are you fitter than a pensioner"?

Looks absolutely bonkers.

rOcKeTdOg

ban riders with more than 2" of travel on their MTB, i mean if they need more than that they clearly can't ride a bike properly and are just sofa sitting anyway, they should clear the trails for riders with some skill

😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Saw a group of old chaps at penmachno a few weeks ago and he youngest of them must have been 55, sure you may slow down a little but I am sure not much. When you are young it always seems like old is old, but when you get older you realise that it's just a number, I accept that an 80 year old is not likely to be out on the trails but 50 is nothing. Am 37 now but fully expect to be riding the same trails when I am 60.

project
    Free Member

6The chap last night said he was also going to buy some lycra shorts, when i suggested a cardigan from M and S, he asked did they now do cycling gear.

Obviously his mind was going as well.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Met a guy last week who'd just started riding off road (was still a roadie as well) but fancied trying 'something new', he was in his late 60's.

He wasn't overly fast and skills neede some work, but he was grining like a loon so must be doing something right.

trout
    Free Member

we saw a bloke 5 year ago in the Pyrenees and it was his 76 birthday
    he started biking at 70 and beat us to the top of the tormalet after setting off 20 mins after us

my mate is still having counciling

project
    Free Member

Go to a trail centre at the weekend and its like an OAP outing,

ton

of the 6 of us who just completed a 300mile offroad tour of scotland 4 were 50yrs or older.
    of the group of 18 i ride with 9 are 50yrs or older.

so no from me

hels
    Free Member

What you mean like Facebook ??

ollie
    Free Member

I ride with a guy now and again who's in his early 60's, Puts people half his age to shame.

KonaTC

Is 50 to old to ride off road and will someone who is doing regular exercise be a strain on the NHS?

The nanny state is alive and well and located in the Singletrack Forum.

Come on back in the real world, a high proportion of 50 year olds are overweight, smoke and drink to much. Just a trip down your local high street to see the number of blokes hiding children’s beach balls up their shirts is evidence enough. So to question someone who wants to be out doors, enjoying a fantastic sport/hobby should be applauded from the roof tops.

PS it's offical exercise is good for you !

oldgit
    Free Member

koff.

earbyphil
    Free Member

Young wipper-snappers. Don't they know life begins at 50?

Hohum
    Free Member

I hope not.

I intend to carry on cycling off road for as long as I can.

aka_Foamy
    Free Member

Was just reading the letters section of a competing moutain biking mag and a guy had written in about doing Lands End to John o Groats off road and he was 50.

As for strain on the nhs the regular cardio a biking 50yo will pick up will actually keep him out of A&E.

miketually
    Free Member

50 can't be too old, otherwise who is buying all the full suspension bikes?

skiboy
    Free Member

My mate Brian is 61 and I still can't get to the top quicker than him

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

This is obviously a troll post, if it isn't I'll assume the OP is extremely naive. There's a guy that regularly rides with us who has just reached 60, he's ridden off road for over 20 years, regularly rides the local trails over Cannock Chase as well as the trail centres. He is definately no slouch and has occasionally been witnessed with both wheels off the ground – in a controlled and skilled manner I add!
    That legend is Dogears!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Poor toll!

Bregante

but he was grining like a loon so must be doing something right.

or it was time for his medication?

anokdale
    Free Member

PMSL at Oldgit. 😆

If the OP wants to see some fit over 50s get up the 3px next week and he will get an answer to his bone question of the week.

I am there in in 2 and a bit years, i thought 50 was the new 40 😉

Anyway i work with some 30 yr old lads and lasses i can tell you they put more of a burden on the NHS than i do, what with diabetis cos they are fat, and the classic repetitive strain bollox that is always a good stunt to pull, FFS

Mintman
    Free Member

50 is definitely too old; how can I be rad to the power of sick if people that age are putting me to shame on a bike?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Agreed, poor troll. But seriously which is more of a drain on the NHS – a 55 year old mountain biker with a broken leg or a 55 year old couch potato with diabetes and a heart condition

Oh, and I'm 54 and one of my rides this year was an hour and a quarter with the bike on my back up a Munro

LabWormy

Given that the current generation of late teens and twenty year olds are meant to be the first generation in UK history that will die earlier than their parents, then the questions should actually be "are 25 year olds too unfit to ride off road?"

2 and a bit years to go before 50 is the new 40……….

Karinofnine

T R O L L

epicyclo

Nah, the creaky old codgers should stay off the mountains. I say ban anyone over 30.

Also ban anyone using mobility aids intended for the frail and elderly, stuff like gears and suspension, because they are obviously past it too.

🙂

greyman
    Free Member

excellent – I'm with Oldgit *cough*
    mate of mine reckons he invented mountainbiking, but I dunno – we were all trashing various inappropriate bikes down the quarry back then.
    reckons he's gonna have a word with Fisher one day 😉 😉
    he definitely invented snowboarding though, FACT !

G. (can get both wheels off the ground)

project
    Free Member

Seems as if Singletrack has an over 50,s section. 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm well over 50 and recover from frequent crashes faster than many younger people 🙂 I think the idea that older people are more vulnerable is a myth.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The 84 year old vicar in our village rides every day – often slightly off road…!

My dad still MTBs – he's not far off 60.

poisonspider
    Free Member

project – how old are you?

Most of the lads I ride with have either reached 50+ (in a couple of cases) or are rapidly approaching it and they are all still nailing it. It's very rare anyone is buzzing their back wheel unless it's proper full on DH stuff and even then they put in a well above average performance.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wonder who the best bike handler over 50 is on here? I see a lot of old folk tearing up hills on bike, fair enough, but not many on the jumps…

cheese@4p

Perspective…
    Today's 50 year olds are quite likely to be ageing punk rockers

marsdenman
    Free Member

Having seen Olgit single-speeding up one of the many short, sharp gullies the the Quantocks have to offer I can say that
    a. I felt ridiculously fat and unfit….
    b. age is a state of mind….
    c. I do hope that my looming 42 birthday will not be the last one that I'm after 'bits for me bike'

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Is 50 to old to ride off road’ is closed to new replies.