Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Is 17 miles safe for a dog to run?
  • chojin
    Free Member

We took a mate’s collie/alsatian cross out on a ride today, all in all about 17 miles. Poor thing was shattered towards the end. We did stop at every river or pond so he could cool down and have a drink, but by the end he’d slowed to a walking pace and looked incredibly beat.
    Of course, any human or dog alike will get tired after running that sort of distance, but I’m not sure it’s safe for a dog to do so?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Depends a lot on the condition of the dog, the pace of the ride and the terrain. However, given how warm it was today, our dog had an early morning walk and then stayed in until it had cooled before his evening walk. Wouldn’t have run him today.

chojin
    Free Member

It was a bit of a pootle, averaged 6 mph or something, but that was with a lot of stopping for the dog. When we were riding, we were probably averaging about 10 or 12 mph I’d say. The dog is 2 years old, so quite young, I’m not sure he gets very good walks normally (knowing my mate at least!).

simondbarnes

Poor thing was shattered towards the end

I think you’ve answered your own question 🙁

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Not something I would do to a dog of my own at 2 years old. The dog isn’t fully developed and your at risk of damaging it’s joints.

Also probably too far and too much (today’s heat) for a dog that isn’t used to that much exercise, regardless of age.

chojin
    Free Member

Hmmm. He always insists on bringing the dog whenever we go for a ride, much to my annoyance.

mrmo
    Free Member

like most things depends on the dog, consider sled dog racing for how far you can go.

However don’t dogs have an inability to sweat, and risk overheating as a result?

sleigh62
    Free Member

no, definately not! … bordering on cruelty.
    We’ve had a number of border collies and they can run for england but 17 miles is just way too far even if he did stop at every watering hole.

busydog
    Free Member

risk overheating as a result

If dogs get too overheated and excessively dehydrated it can lead to rapid kidney failure. That does seem an excessive distance, especially for a relatively young dog who is still developing.

pete68
    Free Member

Only doubt I’d have is due to the heat. I walked 16 miles last week and my 2 year old springer ran the whole time, covering at least 30 miles, probably more. It was much cooler though and we had an hours break half way

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Hmmm. He always insists on bringing the dog whenever we go for a ride, much to my annoyance.

Seems to me you have issues with the whole thing about your mate bringing the dog so maybe you should talk to him about it!

17 miles is probably a bit far when it’s warm. My mate sometimes brings his dog and I’ve seen us do 20 mile rides with the dog keeping up no problem. I’ve also seen him have to cut a ride short because the dog was struggling. Like us they have good days and bad days.

mattbee

Most I tend to do with our 4 year old dog is 10 miles. He’s been built up to around that distance over the past few years. The longer the ride the more stops we have.
    In the recent heat he’s done a few 5 mile loops of QECP early or late in the day but spent most of his time splashing in the sea.
    Dogs won’t say no and will run until they die so it is up to the owner to reign them in.

v8ninety

Dogs won’t say no and will run until they die so it is up to the owner to reign them in.

Haha, maybe some dogs, agreed, but lurchers are much more sensible…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends entirely on the fitness of the dog. From what I see on the telly people can run 26 miles in about 2hrs, though it seems this option is not enabled on all models.

If he was knackered then it was probably too much.

If you have a problem with your mate bringing his dog say something don’t try and bring it in from the cruelty angle.

br
    Free Member

Mine is a working cocker and always on the go, 12 miles is fine but once above that he really struggles towards the end – down to walking pace.

We use to do a ‘Dog Run’, where I took the dog and anyone who came knew it’d only be a short run – which actually suited a couple of unfit friends. I’d chat with him.

zerocool

Like people, it depends on the dog’s fitness. Bearded Collies and other working dogs can easily do 20 miles a day. But again that depends on the individual dog. If he takes it out everytime he rides then it will probably be ok. Our last German Shepherd would happily follow us for 15 – 20 miles 3 or 4 times a week. But even on none riding days he’d walk over 10 miles.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Dunno, but my friend killed her spaniel by taking it out running all the time.

She was training for an ironman, & she took the dog out on all her runs.

It died & the vet told her it died of exhaustion.. 🙁

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I used to take my two working Spaniels on the bike. Was some dreadful fights for the best spot on the saddle… BaDaBoom. Tish….

They used to pull me for the first four or five miles as long as it it was not too steep a gradient. Extending lead and a “Y” length of chain on the end.After that they would settle into a gait that would just eat up the miles. As long as it was not too hot, this really is the pivotal thing, they would run me into the ground.

Get home and after an drink and something to eat, god help me if I picked up a jacket.

Its important to give them something like Digestive biscuits during a long day out to keep their blood sugar up.

rainbow
    Free Member

@chojin, the poor dog will be dead soon the way your mate is doing to his dog.

Shame some people dont have any common sense, oh well.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Of course as ^^^ says. Common sense must prevail. Dog must be healthy and fit. Can’t expect Fido to run marathons if all he gets is a thirty minute run twice a day.

If the dog slows down then stop and after a good rest set off again more slowly and consider walking rather than riding.

Best off riding solo with Fido and letting him set the pace. Basically its like riding with small children they will generally push themselves way too hard trying to keep up.

onehundredthidiot

Ten miles is about it for me and mine. He will run like a nutter but annoyingly goes into easy saunter on every uphill. I know when he’s tiring as he sits in behind my leg. Then it’s time for home. When I’m putting the bike in the car he’ll go find a stick for a quick throw.
    If the dog was shattered then too far. This happened once to me and I got a friend to drive us back to the start. He’d have run but I was worried it would be too much.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member

Dunno, but my friend killed her spaniel by taking it out running all the time.

She was training for an ironman, & she took the dog out on all her runs.

It died & the vet told her it died of exhaustion..

Sounds a little far fetched to me.

jam-bo

Ten is about the most ill do with my border collie. This time of year I keep close to the river so he can swim regularly to stay cool. I keep off hardback trails as much as possible too.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Just this morning been for a 16/17k run with a friends collie from home up Ingleborough. The dog faired much better than me!

C

martymac

my m8 has a pair of chavhounds (not actually sure exactly what they are, have a bit of the staffy look about them, but with longer legs)
    we took them out for a run with us last summer (thats about 1995 in scotland btw) did 22 miles and being honest they didnt seem bothered in the slightest by it.
    however it wasnt that hot, and we werent going fast (10-12mph).

stratobiker
    Free Member

I’m shaking my head in disbelief?

The dog was fecked…………. so you slowed down!!!????

I hope the poor thing is OK.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Sounds a little far fetched to me.

🙄

Tell you what, you can go tell her that then…

‘king Idiot.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Is 17 miles safe for a dog to run?’ is closed to new replies.