Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)
  • Irresponsible thread – how fast…….
  • skiboy
    Free Member

car, just over 150mph,

bike 176mph, but that was back in 1995-96 before i had a family.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

These speeds arent that impressive without knowing where they were attained.

Some big figures, but I dont think its anywhere near as impressive as the local fast lads who knock out 85mph+ runs through town. Real men them lads.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

95 in my Saab 9-3 turbo racing the MD in his 535 beemer from M53 to m56 around the slip road, east bound, big corner.

increased to 110 on M56 and then bottled it as the MD roared off and away.

135 in Germany in the Saab, on an Autobahn. strangely the car seemed to go quieter at about 120.

molgrips
    Free Member

130mph on the Autobahn, just – that was hard work, another diesel Passat. 120mph for half an hour or so at a stretch, and 110mph for 1-2 hours. When driving a long boring journey, it’s just too tempting to put your foot down to get it over with. Having said that after being there for 3 months or so I settled down and stuck to the 80-odd that is suggested.

I was somewhat surprised to find out how crappy most of the Autobahn network is (in Bavaria at least) given how fast you are allowed to drive.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

150+ in my race car, its geared for around 165 but i’ve never felt the need to try it as none of the events i do need that sort of speed + i’m a wimp 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

I used to crack lover to Hungary going through Holland/Germany/Austria in my 5series 330d Sport Tourings, going past Dusseldorf cracking 130mph was plenty fast enough for me, especially when Them Germans in Them Vectra estates and 911’s and Beemer 3 series were up my chuff flashing their lights.

Never been much of a fast driver me.

simmy
    Free Member

147 mph, many years ago, on the M5 in a company Saab 9-5 Aero

elzorillo
    Free Member

About 25 years ago.. 147mph (according to the speedo) on the A1 in a car.

birky
    Free Member

These speeds arent that impressive without knowing where they were
    attained.

110 in a car, M90 near Perth
    160 on a bike, A890 near Achnasheen

ktmblag
    Free Member

What about 100mph across a field on a ktm 990 adventure

molgrips
    Free Member

130 is too slow on the Autobahn. Not fast enough to travel with the sales reps, but much faster than the normal people who you need to pass by pulling into the path of the above mentioned 6.3l AMG Merg with flashing lights.

timc
    Free Member

135mph on the m62 @ 3:30am one sunday morning

been on the back of a GSXR1000 or something at a claimed 150, no idea but it was a horrible experience

djglover
    Free Member

Acording to the sat nav 102 mph, car is limited to 155 will never get close.

Rscott
    Free Member

Caterham 7, said 155 and wouldn’t go any faster when i lost control and ended up skidding accros the track into a gravel pit,the thing rattled like hell for the rest of the day

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

140 ish twice in a Speed Triple. It was still pulling hard but without a fairing it’s trying to rip yer head off, so that’s it really. Not really had the chance on the new (faired) Ducati but it’s stable and composed at 136. I have no doubt it’ll hit 150 and feel much the same. (It’s only an ST3 with 110bhp, not a pure sports bike)
    I have no qualms about doing 110-120

jonahtonto
    Free Member

144 (off the gps) down the heads of the valleys road in a rover 820 turbo (mildly modified).
    used to regularly get 140ish (indicated) out of my xr4i though, often on single carrigeways.
    been a long time since i’ve driven like that though. the roads are too full and fuel is just too expensive.
    happy just pootling around in my van these days

hammyuk
    Free Member

Genuine 191mph on my 10r at Bruntingthorpe during “Turf Wars” for TWO magazine.
    Sustained 150+ for 100’ish miles coming back from Helfirskichen past Koln for Calais.
    Car – have played in Goodwood’s Lotus more than once up over the Trundle at ridiculous speeds but then that bit is “technically” a private road…..

meka
    Free Member

At some of these speeds, when maintained for any length of time, the other needle you watch apart from the speedo, is the fuel level, which can actually be seen to (very) slowly drop. Can get expensive if really shifting and the concentration required to do 150+ for any length of time hurts!

somafunk

203mph/90.75 ms in a £270,000 Audi R8 V10 ABT at Sachsenring, Saxony – not mine i hasten to add but a friend bought one of the last Audi RS4’s in 2007 and gave it to ABT to do what they thought best with it along with his partners new Audi Q7 3.0 TDI, subsequently he got invited over to the Sachsenring circuit in 2008 to drive his RS4 for the first time and see if he was satisfied with it before they shipped it back to the UK, along with a full weekends driving in Audi ABT exotica of every description including the Audi ABT R10 LeMans car (as a passenger), his partner’s not that interested in cars as he used to rally and she’s seen enough of boys getting all excited so i went with him for the weekend – best boys weekend out it is possible to have hooning about the track in proper supercars and the braking force in the ABT R8 just about gave me a hernia braking for the coca-cola curve at the end of the straight.

I don’t speed on public roads at all but i do make use of my cars acceleration, i save whatever speed for the track.

althepal

About 120 in a hire car on the autobahn, about 115 in my focus when my dad was about to
    pass away.
    Managed 110 in an ambulance with premature twins about to pop on a blue light transfer to another mat unit.. Was quite surprised about that.. Could hear the wind whistling in through the top of the door seals!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I used to see many young lads in big wheeled Deisel Golfs cracking along at about 120, but it was always the Omega and Vectra drivers that gave me the most butt clenching moments.
    Having said that, in all the time I used to drive on the continent, I was only caught up in one accident, it did involve a 3series that had slid off the road and up the bank, there was a helicopter with a sling waiting to hoist it out of the way so the traffic could return to hacking along at 100+.

I once did 85in a 2cv..

ski
    Free Member

I once did 85in a 2cv

Nutter!

😉

Had the needle swinging from 55-70mph in a Morris Minor running 145 x 14 on the M5!

That was an experience I never wanted to repeat, I can tell you!

😉

allthegear
    Free Member

130mph in my old Impreza but that was on a dual carriageway so kinda boring really. High Speed in a straight line is nothing special unless…

As a passenger, 90mph in a Reliant Robin. Now that IS scary!!!

EDIT – just remembered when I worked at an outdoor centre not far from Telford, I was hauled into the office to explain something a kid had written on their postcard home (we used to vet them before posting them). Apparently the kid had written we were doing 100mph on the M54 after I’d picked him up from the Airport. Oops.

Rachel

ski
    Free Member

As a passenger, 90mph in a Reliant Robin. Now that IS scary!!!

We have a winner! [edit] hang on you were a passenger, that’s cheating 😉

milky1980
    Free Member

165 mph on the Abergavenny – Raglan dual carriageway.

In a Ferrari F40 🙂

A mate’s dad used to deal in cars for private collectors and brought it along to the pub for me to see (my dream car). Realised he’d had one too many with his lunch, so chucked me the keys with the express instructions to treat it with the respect it deserved. As I came off the roundabout, he just said ‘Floor it, it needs a thrash or it runs rough. I’ll tell you when to lift.’ Looked over when I got it onto 4th gear and he was grinning like a man possessed!!
    Bottled it when I went past a Metro and the draught caused the front to bobble a bit. The previous owner had fitted a Racelogic GPS logger, so the 165 was genuine 🙂

He got hold of a McLaren SLR a while back and we topped out at 190 indicated (him driving this time). He got pulled for doing 93 as we braked for the roundabout at Abergavenny. The picture clearly showed the carbon brakes aglow and the air brake up 😯

JCL
    Free Member

130 as a passenger in a Caterham R500. On a road that I doubt would be possible to get more than 80 in anything else road legal I’ve been in.

Been about 150 in a E39 M5 but not a fraction as impressive as the above.

allthegear
    Free Member

To be fair, ski – I was only 13!!

(yes, I know that in Leeds that’s when most kids learn to drive…)

Rachel

mightymule
    Free Member

132, shortly before remembering that a driving licence is a jolly handy thing to have, and that it would be nice to keep it.

Scarily, I got overtaken by an Audi A4. God knows what speed it was doing, but it made me look like I was in reverse.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not the fastest, but getting over 80mph on Park Lane must win something. 🙂

julians
    Free Member

175mph in my old tvr cerbera (on a private track of course)

piemonster

No idea, but the most enjoyable experience was as a passenger in a Bentley 4 1/2ltr round Silverstone. The F40 on the same day was not as good.

trout
    Free Member

About 40 mph on the leeds liverpool canal at gargrave. testing out a new 70 hp Yamaha outboard on the skiboat .
    seemed like 90 between the banks .

mightymule
    Free Member

100 as a passenger in my Dad’s 1976 MGB.

Which feels and sounds like Mach 4!

deviant
    Free Member

Cars?….barely 100mph, whats the point?….it feels slow in a comfy seat with a roof.

That said, i have been a passenger in a 3.0 litre Vauxhall Carlton police car that had 152mph showing on the dash….and i have no reason to believe the calibrated speedo on that car was over reading!….the copper had to go to Winchester from Alton (the A31) to get a new set of tyres on the car, before he set off his words to me were ‘lets get the last of the tread off these then’….we then spent the rest of the morning speed trapping motorists….oh the irony, brilliant day though!

Now, on a motorbike i have regularly seen the naughty side of 150mph, rude not to when the bike gets there so easily and quickly.

julians
    Free Member

Rscott, what caterham were you in, and on whch track?

Theres not many thatll do 155mph,and even less thatll get to that speed on the average track.

Must have been pretty scary, mine is limited by revs to about 125 and thats pretty scary

timber

Hit the limiter on previous boss’ big diesel e-class.
    More worrying is the 120mph in the 7.5 ton lorry, not me, I’m not licensed for that big.

psling
    Free Member

115mph (speedo reading) in a big old Toyota Crown 2.8i back in the early 80s on the M4. There was more to be had but I lost my nerve 😳

About 70mph in a modified V8 Land Rover racer in a comp safari at Eastnor, again back in the 80’s, which may not sound fast but along a muddy rutted track it’s quite fast enough… 8)

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I got a 110 out of my 1.1 metro but had to wedge my foot on the dash to stop the steering wheel shaking like a Gatling gun

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ve done 90 once or twice when I was a teenager. Not a fan of speed at all nowadays. Not even sure that I’ve done 70 in my new car and I’ve done 1.5k mainly motorway miles in it. I must say that I’d love a go in a single seat race car like Formula 3 car etc

TheFlyingOx

An indicated 155mph out of the old MR2, so probably more like 140. There was a bit more to come, but at that speed the undertrays peeled off and made a frightful racket. Put the fear into me and I was not tempted to try for that bit extra.

The current car will apparently top 180mph but I have no desire ever to go that fast in anything with wheels. It’s more fun getting to the posted speed limit as ridiculously fast as possible. Where it is responsible to do so, of course.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Irresponsible thread – how fast…….’ is closed to new replies.