Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Irrefutable proof of the non existence of god – horse flies
  • dannyh
    Free Member

I got done by one on Wednesday night. Right on the thinnest part of my right shin. My shin and calf are now a good 10% bigger than they should be, I am popping antibiotics and anti inflammatories like smarties, and have missed out on my usual Saturday morning ride.

I hate the little blighters and would happily make an exception to my policy of non tolerance of animal cruelty in this case.

If I can get the swelling and pain to subside during the day I might just make it out for a couple of hours tonight, but I’m not that hopeful.

Grrrrrrr.

johnners
    Free Member

I endorse your hate. Blandford flies are even worse, smaller and bitier, and going by the way they make my legs swell up they must gargle with something well manky before going out to dine.

badnewz
    Free Member

Not quite up there with genocide as a challenge to theologians but I agree, they are immoral predators.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Working in one particular place, a meadow by a lake, in one day I swatted 23 horseflies attacking the insides of my elbows.

I suspect this will not be the forum record for long.

dannyh
    Free Member

Their method of feeding is particularly gruesome and goes a long way to explaining why it is pretty much a nailed on infection when the little sods strike.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cZvT3MHpffk[/video]

johnners
    Free Member

Their method of feeding is particularly gruesome

Yeah, they’re pool feeders. Hack a hole, wait for blood to well up, bury their manky faces in it. Mossies are much more subtle, steerable mouthparts and all.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Mrs M hates them, on day one of our holiday last year she was bitten on the hand which promptly swelled up to resemble a boxing glove. Took a week for it to go down (it looked VERY painful) and meant we only had two rides around Dartmoor instead of 4. 🙁

I also nearly had a huge crash whilst road riding when I realised the fly on that had landed on the inside of my glasses was a horse fly! Lots of braking, whilst trying to get glasses off!

donald
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPriOQkKd6k[/video]

Houns

Got done by a Blandford Fly last month, never seen any reaction like. Got forced to the out of hours Dr by Miss Houns (a nurse) . Given a load of antibiotics and was told if no improvement in 24 hours then I needed to get my arse in A&E for the strong stuff by IV. Thankfully this and cellulitis were avoided

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Can I just say that I’ve never had a problem with infection after getting bitten by a horse fly. They’re not exactly sore either.

spooky_b329

Grew up in Blandford, used to swell up in blotchy patches from ‘the Fly’, it was a regular occurence. Used to bike in Bryanston Woods on the trails, within the grounds of the school that accidentally released them into the wild.

I don’t think they are as prevalent now as they have been trying to eradicate them.

tillydog
    Free Member

Not exacty sore ?!?

Either you’re well ‘ard, or your horse flies are ponies! 🙂

If I get properly bitten, it hurts like hell for a few days. Luckily, you can usually feel them as they start to bite, and they are big / slow enough to be able to slap them before they do any significant damage to me. Bloody hate the things!

Can’t say I’ve ever felt the need to pop any pills as a result, though – especially not antibiotics… It’s just one of the pleasures of the countryside.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Evil bar-stewards did me six times on a fishing trip, four on one leg which took two weeks to go down. A year later and one calf is still slightly bigger than the other with little scars as proof.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Yup another hater here. Had cellulitis in the past after several bites in one go. I always swell up and feel rough after a bite. Spotted a giant horsefly down here last year. It sounded like a diesel van as it flew off.

dannyh
    Free Member

Well, I didn’t manage to get a ride in this weekend due to the little swine. 🙁

At least it has gone back to just itching a bit, rather than feeling like a lava tourniquet every time I change the position of my leg.

The symptoms are unmistakeable in me. They never come up straight away, but 12-24 hours later the tightness, burning and swelling start. Then it gets to the point where it is agony if I have rested my leg in any position for any amount of time, then move it. The pain pulses stronger and stronger.

It is difficult to come up with an argument in favour of DDT, but horseflies make a strong case.

Either that or napalm.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Boy at work was bitten by one on Wed/Thurs. Swelling is huge, I’m actually rather impressed how big his leg is now! Somewhat awesomely it’s the same leg he’s just had some rather invasive hip surgery on!!

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve caught horseflies biting my leg through my Lycra shorts three times while riding my bike. I think they are attracted by black Lycra!

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

They hunt human beings – all horse flies are b******s and they make my joints swell up like footballs
    Although it’s cutting lawns rather than bike riding when they get me

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Irrefutable proof of the non existence of god – horse flies’ is closed to new replies.