• This topic has 71 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by bodgy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Irrational-national treasures
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Things we, as a nation (apparently), have utterly indefensible romantic attachments to.

Cadburys Dairy Milk chocolate: God in heaven, what a foul, greasy smear of an excuse for “chocolate”. I’ve just swiped one of Jr’s stash as I had a sugar urge, and frankly I wish I had just reached straight for the wine.

But No! We must not question the godliness of the Dairy Milk. Rubbish.
    Same goes for Paul O’Grady, “Auntie” BBC, and the NHS.

Anything else?

sharkattack

…and the NHS

+1

The sooner it’s all sold off the better. I can’t wait to start explaining myself to health insurance companies.

Junkyard
    Free Member

From crap chocolate to dismantling the BBC and the NHS in one post 😯

I guess its one of ths I like the fact that my ability to not die of illness, or get treatment for long term illness, is not at all related to my wealth/ability to pay…i wish i was more heartless but hey I guess the BBC made me this way 🙄

akira

Yeah screw free healthcare and quality broadcasting, I demand to pay thousands for a hospital visit and only watch reality TV shows.

jekkyl

James Corden. ‘but the emperors not wearing any clothes’
    dunno if he’d be considered a national treasure though.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah I for one look forward to the end of free healthcare at the point of need, maybe saving £10 a month on the license fee will help me pay for the insurance for me and my family. Being pelted by adverts and Rupert Murdochs opinions masquerading as facts is a small price to pay.

Stoner
    Free Member

Well it’s a tough audience here at the London Palladium tonight. I should probably have saved this one until Friday night and the squares were in bed with Terry Wogan (gawd bless’im guvnor) and everyone else was a few sherberts into the weekend.

But I ate some chocolate I didnt like.

joat

That’s sarcasm and facetiousness right there, that is.
    I’m with you on O’grady though.

akira

That Nicholas Cage film was shocking as well.

cinnamon_girl

I guess its one of ths I like the fact that my ability to not die of illness, or get treatment for long term illness, is not at all related to my wealth/ability to pay

Junkyard – you need to step outside of your Utopia. Some of us are having to pay for our medical care for a life-long condition, in fact I’m now paying for treatment for a second health condition as the NHS have been in denial about Lyme disease. Go me. 😐

copa
    Free Member

Shakespeare. Painful.

Stoner
    Free Member

oohooh, now your talking.
    Yorkshire Tea
    Cheshire cheese
    Hilary Mantel

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Sir Paul McCartney. Just shocking. Really not looking forward to the months of false praise and adulation when he pops his clogs.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well it’s a tough audience here at the London Palladium tonight.

Or your views are completely out of kilter with the UK for you are a right wing free market loon…. you decide based on the reception. Perhaps a graph will help 😉
    @ C-G

There’s currently no clear consensus on the best treatment for post-infectious Lyme disease because the underlying cause is not yet clear. Be wary of internet sites offering alternative diagnostic tests and treatments that may not be supported by scientific evidence.

Stoner
    Free Member

🙂

matt_outandabout

Any raft of celebrities, epitomised by Simon Cowell and anyone who has appeared on big brother.

GrahamS

the NHS have been in denial about Lyme disease

Ermmm what now? They seem to have pretty good information on it to me:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Lyme-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Anyways, the OP:

I’d cite the relatively recent National Treasure of “Mrs Brown’s Boys”.

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆

Well played

Stoner
    Free Member

cant agree with you there MOAA. That would include both Keith Chegwin AND Ulrikakakakaka.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Oh… go on then.

Stephen Fry.

Sort of okay at times, but also pompously annoying. Pompous in a way that for some reason people seem to go – ‘oh he’s so clever’, but I just find tediously boring, verbose and tiresome.

Sorry Steven, I’m sure you’re a great bloke really… 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I’m sure you’re a great bloke really.

No, really Im not.

Sandwich

Cadburys Dairy Milk is no longer a national treasure it is a foul, bastardised excuse for chocolate foisted on us by their American owners. Damn you Kraft and your cheap ingredients. Aldi milk chocolate for me from now on.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Cadburys was pretty ropey before kraft muscled in.

I vote for Adele

Rich_s

Football. I mean, really? It’s not much of a sport, the players aren’t good sports, the money, the slavish attitude of its many millions of followers, the national “team”, etc.

Stoner
    Free Member

Just been reminded: Grayson Perry.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Ant and Dec.
    They are a few years younger than me so the realisation that they will most likely outlive me and pollute broadcasting with their inane grins and pathetic glib banter until my dying days is something I am having trouble reconciling.

mikey74
    Free Member

Bruce Forsyth: Odious, unfunny, annoying.
    Jade Goody and the rest of the famous for being famous celebrity clique.
    Chas n Dave
    Cockneys

matt_outandabout

RichS +1

SaxonRider

I am so with no_eyed_deer on this one. And no, I’m not sure Stephen is a nice guy, really.

slackalice
    Free Member

Good call on Adele. All she seems to do in her songs is f******g moan. Albeit in a reasonably nice voice. Apparently, when she’s not singing/moaning, she’s quite amusing.

I tend to regard Kylie as an irrational national treasure. Yet in the same way, perfectly rational.

Could I claim both racist and sexist for that?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Jade Goody and the rest of the famous for being famous celebrity clique.

Don’t worry, Jade died 6 years ago. 😐

honeybadgerx

Don’t worry, Jade died 6 years ago.

It’s a true fact. It said so in my Cards Against Humanity hand the other night 😈

mikey74
    Free Member

That is true but it doesn’t stop her being treated as such, it would seem.

alpin
    Free Member

Hovis, Kingsmill… White bread in general. It is shite. Every other European country laughs at our attempt of a loaf

sootyandjim
    Free Member

It’s a true fact. It said so in my Cards Against Humanity hand the other night

My thirteen year old daughter loves that card.

Cards Against Humanity is for 13s and up right?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Crap white bread, milk chocolate, greggs, crap larer, Boddies John Smiths and Tetley’s, Crap tea plenty more out there

BillMC

Royal family. Why?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Royal family. Why?

Agreed. And Sir Elton John. And Lord David Beckham.

djglover
    Free Member

Football.
    Brighton.
    Night out in West End.

All ruined by gaudily dressed thugs.

djglover
    Free Member

Hugh Grant
    Richard Curtis

Pass me a bucket

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Irrational-national treasures’ is closed to new replies.