Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ironman HOW MUCH!
  • kerv
    Free Member

Did an Ironman back in 94 (Lanzarote) so when I saw an advert for Ironman Wales next year I thought I might give it a go. £335 😯 .
    Is this a misprint? Or the going rate you skinny triathlete types pay these days?

Curly68
    Free Member

Blimey! Thats a lot of money but I am assuming that British Cycling will take a chunk of that for insurance, then the police will be needed over a long period of time shutting roads etc. Then there are medics, marquee hire etc. Ironman events, as you know, will take up a whole day of racing which involves a lot of personnel etc.
    I bet there are a lot of people taking part in their first one to say I have done an Ironman, and in that respect I would cough up. Probably cheaper doing it abroad though!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

That’s about £100 more than the premier Swedish one.
    http://www.kalmartri.com/index.php/english/kalmar-triathlon/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    YoKaiser
    Free Member

£335 is correct I’m afraid. Remember Ironman is a company and they do want to make a profit. Not cheaper abroad either with the £ to euro rate as it is. If you want cheaper though there is several UK non Ironman franchised races(that are Ironman distance).

oddjob
    Free Member

It costs quite a lot to put one on BUT I think they are basically obeying capitalist rules and put the price up until they can only just fill the races. I think the cost of an ironman race entry is significantly less than most of the competitors will spend on training, travel costs and gear plus most people only do one a year.

It’s a rip off, but so are lots of other things in life 🙂

Tiger6791

Swim in a river = Free
    Ride your bike = Free
    Go for a Run = Free

So just go do it yourself, time it and the wait until the event and see where you would have come.

All for free.

Tell your mates you did an Ironman, they won’t know that you haven’t done the official corprate ‘the man’ one.

Simples!

simon_g

The Ironman brand does carry some weight and I can see that if you were ploughing that much time and effort into training for it you’d want to do the “proper” one. Lots of competitors will spend that on a wetsuit.

Given the London / Blenheim triathlons are over £70 now for sprint distance, paying less than 5 times the cost for 8 times the distance (so way more closures / diversions, motorcycle marshalls, medic posts, etc) doesn’t seem so bad.

terrahawk
    Free Member

70 quid for a sprint triathlon is a **** joke, quite frankly.

grumm
    Free Member

It’s because these kind of challenges are apparently the latest rich **** fashion so they can get away with charging such ridiculous prices 😛

jimmers
    Free Member

This year my bother wanted me to compete in a relay team for the London Duathlon doing the bike section.

Entry for a team = £99
    Price for 12 miles of cycling = £33
    Price per minute or racing = £1.10!!! (based on a pessimistic 20mph avg)

Compared to Mayhem that I entered this year.
    Entry for solo category = £60 IIRC
    Price per minute or racing = £0.04

andyfla
    Free Member

The Outlaw in Nottingham is supposed to be very good. No idea of cost though

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ironman HOW MUCH!’ is closed to new replies.