Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • IRONMAN EXTREEEEEME !
  • grizzer
    Free Member

A big shout to Dan Martin a teacher who is set to do a round the world tri-athlon by swimming the Atlantic (4 months) cycling Europe,Russia and Siberia during winter,crossing the Bering Straits then running across Canada…few give that man a cigar…

headfirst
    Free Member

As a teacher my thoughts are:

'anything to put off that marking,eh?"

geoffj

He was on BBC Breakfast yesterday. 4 months to swim the Atlantic 😯

cynic-al
    Free Member

He's gonna prune really badly.

Haze

Teachers get far too much time off.

Edukator
    Free Member

He claims that the swim is 3600 miles or 5760km. He says he'll swim 8 hours a day and the experience of other open water swimmers says that even if he's the best in the world he will do less than 4km/h. That makes 180 days at 32km/day. He says he'll do it just by greasing up with no wetsuit. Channel swimmmers suffer with the cold and they generally go when the water is over 15°C. He optimistically claims he will be in water down to 8°C.

I don't know what he teaches but he has so far failed maths, geography and biology.

He also claims he'll raise a cool £1m.

Fraudster.

cynic-al
    Free Member

"Fraudster"? Bit far…

Edukator
    Free Member

Not far enough: con man. Do some research on open water swimming.

geoffj

I don't know what he teaches but he has so far failed maths, geography and biology.

He's not a proper teacher he's a TEFL teacher.

geoffj

Channel swimmmers suffer with the cold and they generally go when the water is over 15°C. He optimistically claims he will be in water down to 8°C.

To be fair, he may not be greasing up externally, but I reckon he has the insulation taken care of for the start at least!

convert

Maths doesn't totally stack up does it unless he is anticipating some serious assistance from the currents but I thought they went the other way (at the surface) in that part of the Atlantic. Benoit Lecomte did it (the swim part only) in 1998 in I think it was 77 days but he used a mono fin for some of it and wore a wetsuit (or 2 I seem to remember) and they had different rules about the boat being allowed to drift when he was in it whilst this bloke is talking about returning to the same spot to get back in the water.

As someone who barely does an Ironman swim (3.8km) inside the hour in a wetsuit, in relatively calm water; the thought of doing that 8 times a day without a wetsuit for months on end sounds horrendous!

wwaswas

"Dan Martin a teacher who is set to do a round the world tri-athlon by swimming…."

bl**dy teachers always have to tell you what they do in the first sentence..

If he'd been virtually any other profession it wouldn;t have been mentioned.

"Dan Martin a proctologist…"

just wouldn't happen.

Edukator
    Free Member

Benoit Lecompte used a monopalme for the whole crossing and used a wetsuit despite taking a much warmer more southerly route to benefit from fovourable currents:

Parti le 16 juillet 1998 de Hyannis-Cap Cod dans l'Etat du Massachussetts (U.S.A) Benoît Lecomte a réussi l'exploit de traverser l'océan Atlantique à la nage ! Vêtu d'une combinaison iso thermique et muni d'une monopalme, ce Saint-Ouennais (95) de 31 ans, émigré aux états unis, a parcouru les 5400 km de la traversée en 73 jours. Il était accompagné d'un voilier à bord duquel il remontait chaque jour pour se reposer après ses six à huit heures de nage quotidienne.

Pour réaliser une telle performance, pas de place pour le hasard, Benoît Lecomte préparait cette traversée depuis huit ans : Trois à cinq heures d'entraînement quotidien (six fois par semaine) et une route choisie pour tirer au maximum profit des puissants courants de l'Atlantique, on permit à cet athlète de rallier les deux continents, via les Açores.

aracer
    Free Member

A teacher? Not sure when he gets time to do that – according to his website he appears to spend most of his time touring the world in various ways. That's got to stretch even a teacher's holiday allowance.

Edukator
    Free Member

It would appear the biggest con is the reporting from the BBC which is so well researched it converts 3600 miles as 5000km in one of its articles on Dan. In thisreport he recognises the swim may take longer and cold will be a problem. There is also no mention of £1m which I found especially irritating as it's clearly a number out of fresh air.

Whether he can do it remains to be seen but a combination of no wetsuit, no mono, and no drifting in the boat means it's going to take a long time. I suspect he'll quickly end up in a wetsuit.

Edukator
    Free Member

This is the misleading article from the BBC

They get the distance and start point wrong. New York is the start point not Nova Scotia which totally changes the nature of the swim. He will be in warmer water and Gulf Stream assisted.

I should have known anything from the BBC would be lies and hype.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘IRONMAN EXTREEEEEME !’ is closed to new replies.