Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Iron Horse…?
  • AgentOrange
    Free Member

Have just saved enough to get myself an 'all mountain' bike and was looking to get a Specialized Pitch Pro.

It would be the usual weekend warrior stuff, for this bike, mainly in the Scottish Highland bike parks.

Then the LBS went and got me all confused…. He's got a new 2009 Iron Horse 6.4 in for £999.00.

His recommendation was to get the Iron Horse at this price because it represents better value and has the DW Link.

Iron Horse looks mean and has more travel, but the company's gone under.

My HT and CX bikes are both Specialized and I've been very happy with both of these – Can't decide now…?

What would the ST Massive recommend ?

chakaping
    Free Member

Haven't tried either so can't recommend – but I did consider the 6.4 myself a while ago.

There's a good review here – including a sarky comment I must have left when I read it ages ago!

I'm sure both are good bikes, but I'd go for the 6point myself, being a fan of virtual pivot suspension.

But I'd get that Marz fork swapped for a Lyric, 36 or maxle Rev.

TheGreatStonk
    Free Member

the horse will be a nice bike, although the pitch may represent better value for money coponent wise, the iron horse's frame on its own is over 1k to buy seperately. the main reason its going cheap is as you say iron horse are having issues, so spares in the future may be a problem.

personally id stay clear, or ask the nice mr shop man if he'll throw in a spare pivot hardware kit…

im in a similar boat, my full susser is an iron horse mkiii i built up from a frame… and im having major issues getting new pivot hardware for it….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kato

From what I've read about them going out of business they won't be honouring any warranties so I'd steer well clear

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Yeah they're out of business but the bikes on sale are amazing value at up to 60% off.

The reviews are pretty good and the 6.4 benefits from a shorter stem apparently. It's a heavy beast but climbs well.

You're not gonna have a warranty from the manufacturer but what does that mean? It means the frame isn't covered. The forks/rear shock will be covered by Marzocchi/Fox whoever and your LBS will sort out mechanical issues under Sale of Goods.

Look on it as buying a bike for 2nd hand money that is actually NEW. A slight risk but worth it for the dosh you'll save 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

its quite steep angles when your riding it fro a 6" travel bike (IIRC)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Iron Horse…?’ is closed to new replies.