Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Irma
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

While the West burns, the South East coast of the US is bracing itself.

Some of the pictures from the Caribbean have been pretty hairy, and I hear overnight that colleagues in Florida (North of Miami) have been legally required to evacuate by noon today. Empty shelves in every supermarket.

big_scot_nanny

Yup, it doesn’t look good. I am in Miami at the moment, managed to change flights out (just!) to today lunchtime, only route out was via Toronto then back to Europe. Issue is getting out of Miami.

It does seem to be quite ‘real’ here. Wish me luck…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good luck indeed!

MIA apparently isn’t at all good when the wind gets up, so fingers crossed you can get out soon.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d be hiring a car and driving somewhere else – assuming roads are working.

nedrapier

Good luck bsn!

I’m in London, but watching very closely for personal reasons (friends) and professional reasons (insurance)

And there’s 2 more lining up behind it…

soundninjauk

Fingers crossed bsn.

My other half is supposed to flying to Miami on Wednesday and then onto South Carolina for a wedding next weekend. At the moment I’m not desperately keen for her to go…

willard

Mate and his family have left their place near KSC and are heading to South Carolina for a bit to ride it out. Our office in FtL is bracing itself.

legend
    Free Member

My other half is supposed to flying to Miami on Wednesday

It’ll have been and gone by then, only issues would be whatever it’s left behind

theotherjonv

My bil is antiguan and he and my sister have property and family there. Sounds like at the last minute it dodged Antigua but Barbuda is devastated. And with jose on its tail, it’ll get worse before they can really start to recover.

Fingers crossed.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’ll have been and gone by then, only issues would be whatever it’s left behind

What’s behind is Hurricane Jose, building steadily in the Atlantic.

soundninjauk

Yaaa-

What’s behind is Hurricane Jose, building steadily in the Atlantic.

-awwww.

A friend of mine only got back from honeymoon in Antigua a few days ago. It makes me very thankful for our temperate climate.

GrahamS
    Edukator
    Free Member

No empathy with the inhabitants of St Martin then, Flash, only worried about Florida, because well they’re American I suppose.

So while your Anglo-Saxon news sources worry about Florida spare a thought for the killed, injured and homeless in the areas already destroyed at 85%. Even if they don’t speak English, don’t drive V8s and haven’t contributed much to climatic change.

martinhutch

I’d be hiring a car and driving somewhere else – assuming roads are working.

Don’t think Irma will arrive in Florida for a couple of days, so if he’s flying in the next 12 hours he should be fine.

It’s a shame Mar-a-Lago is in the middle of Palm Beach, or I could hope for its levelling with a clear conscience. Does look vulnerable to any storm surge given its position though.

Trump’s seaview

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s exactly it.

Yawn.

mike_p
    Free Member

Insurance here too… well, reinsurance. She’s a big girl, that’s for sure. I’d be getting well out of her way if I was in that part of the world. Beardy Branson very publicly chose to ride it out, but I suspect that he’s got a refuge in the form of a concrete bunker (the “wine cellar” of which he joshes). The reports to come from Barbuda, St Martin, BVI and probably TCI will be grim.

What’s behind is Hurricane Jose, building steadily in the Atlantic

It’s not going to Florida tho’. These things are always out there at this time of year, its just that with Harvey last week and Irma this, the media is in a frenzy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The reports to come from Barbuda, St Martin, BVI and probably TCI will be grim.

Already are grim, sadly. Heard from a friend in Antigua yesterday, seems they were lucky it missed them, hitting Barbuda instead. Hitting it bloody hard, too. 🙁

midlifecrashes

My brother is in Nassau, sounds like he’ll be having a rough weekend.

ThePinkster

My next door neighbours flew out to Antigua & Barbuda for a 2 location holiday on Monday.

I certainly hope they’re OK as we’ve heard nothing since they left.

GrahamS

FWIW a friend of mine is on Branson’s Necker Island (she, rather impressively, works as a submarine pilot, boat captain and dive instructor there 😯 )

She battened down. Still anxiously waiting for her to report in on Facebook, not sure if she got an invite to the wine cellar but I’m sure she’s okay.

The news reports don’t look good though:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4403243/richard-branson-hurricane-irma-necker-island/

scud
    Free Member

I recommended St Lucia as a honeymoon destination to a work colleague as an option and after a bit of research, that’s where she went with her new husband, so i’m feeling a bit guilty after they spent over £4k! Thankfully they seem to have escaped the very worst of it, but still got hit.

darrell
    Free Member

where’s Cressers when you need him

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Just found out my mates in the firing line in west palm beach. ??

footflaps
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Saw that earlier on FlightRadar.

Some superb flying, superb planning. Great work.

This is impressive, finding the calm air to get away.

footflaps

Mind you these guys went straight through the whole thing…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7UWWjkpd7o[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

P3 Hurricane Hunter, I think.

One tough cookie.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Irma’ is closed to new replies.