Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Irish trail centres?
  • smogmonster

Anyone know what the trail centres are like over there? Im off on holiday, so intend to give Ballyhoura in Limerick a blast..designed by Daffyd Davis so i assume its half decent? What about the trail centre in Wicklow…is it worth a day out? What is the riding like in general…other than wet? I gather trail access is restricted, is this correct?

andyl46
    Free Member

Only ridden Ballinastoe and I rather like it, one fantastic section of flat out twisty traverse is the standout for me, it dares you to stay off the brakes and let rip. About 10 miles, tight and as much a challenge as you want to make it (go fast its hairy, go slow its a doddle).

If you are going that way, try to hook up with the lads from the Epic MTB club, they have built and know most of the trails down there, and are fantastic guides and even better entertainers (esp if El presidente Richie Byrne is your guide)!

Ballyhoura is a long day in the saddle, and can be edited to ride teh best bits easily, but I dont know enough about it to advise.

montylikesbeer

In the emerald isle access is not what it is here, MBR did a thing about ireland last year, it might be a drop harder than you think, however I got a long below which might be worth a look.

ireland stuff clicky

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    3rock
    Free Member

I live in Yorkshire, but am native of South Dublin. The good stuff is in South Dublin/North Wicklow, all unoffical stuff but not controversial re access. You would need a guide, go to http://www.google.ie (Irish google) and look up epic MTB and MAD mtb (2 Dublin clubs), try e-mailing the powers that be and get on a ride. For my taste , Ballyhouras in the south of the country is well made but a bit samey, lots of flowing singletrack but little in the way of thrills and spills… Ballinastoe is the Wicklow site, last time I was there was 1986 running an orienteering race so cant comment..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Irish trail centres?’ is closed to new replies.