• This topic has 44 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by zomg.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Irish referendum on same sex marriage. Is it just me?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That can’t believe a country in the supposed civilised world actually has to hold a referendum about this?. Makes the republic look pretty backward.

chorlton
    Free Member

The church innit.

project
    Free Member

Certain sections of society and the establishment still hold a fear for gay rights, at least forward thinking people pushed for a referendum and allowed both the no and yes camps to have a say, the people decided, it wasnt forced on people it was democracy.

rickmeister

Think if it’s a change to the constitution its has to have a public referendum…

Irrespective of the topic…

kcal

hats off to them for holding it – and for the populace to reinforce what (presumably) the politicians wanted to happen.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Allowing same-sex marriage requires an amendment the constitution which requires a referendum because the constitution can’t just be altered when the legislature feels like it

dannybgoode

And because the UK doesn’t have a written constitution they don’t HAVE to hold referendums (referendi?).

Before anyone asks like 😉

bloodynora
    Free Member

Considering its a country thats exported its catholic pedo priests to the four corners of the globe to bugger choir boys and vulnerable kids on an industrial scale its quite a result!
    Welcome to the 21st century ireland!

BoardinBob

Am I right in thinking abortion is still illegal there?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Ireland and Scotland lead the way when it comes to good government in these islands. Westminster is miles behind.

midlifecrashes

It was still the wrong referendum to have. The state shouldn’t have any role in marriage.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

It was still the wrong referendum to have. The state shouldn’t have any role in marriage.

Who should then?

cranberry
    Free Member

It was still the wrong referendum to have.

It was an excellent referendum to have – the state asked the people if they wanted to step away from the superstition of religion to an exceptance of equality for a small ( abeit vocal ) minority.

Equality won.

midlifecrashes

The people saying “I do”, or whatever they have chosen to say. Nowt to do with the state to endorse one particular way of (consenting adults of sound mind) living together over another.

midlifecrashes

Still agree it was a good referendum to have, and happy with the result.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ireland and Scotland lead the way when it comes to good government in these islands. Westminster is miles behind.

The Sexual Offences Act 1967 is an Act of Parliament in the United Kingdom (citation 1967 c. 60). It decriminalised homosexual acts in private between two men, both of whom had to have attained the age of 21. The Act applied only to England and Wales and did not cover the Merchant Navy or the Armed Forces. Homosexuality was decriminalised in Scotland by the Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 1980 and in Northern Ireland by the Homosexual Offences (Northern Ireland) Order 1982.

13 years before us and 15 before NI.

Just saying.

hora
    Free Member

The people should always choose.

However if a turnout isnt a majority and there isnt an overwhelming majority winning I question whether referendums represent ALL the people.

andy4d

as it is the REPUBLIC of Ireland, as in peoples republic we held a referendum to ask the people, not the politicians, what they wanted. Pretty sensible if you ask me. This way we get it written into law properly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

midlifecrashes – Member
    The people saying “I do”, or whatever they have chosen to say. Nowt to do with the state to endorse one particular way of (consenting adults of sound mind) living together over another.

The constitution didn’t allow everyone to marry, the only way to change that was a referendum.

Or you had a better idea?

midlifecrashes

The constitution didn’t allow everyone to marry

It still doesn’t. See polygamy/polyandry/polyamory.
    If the law allows all those lifestyles, it shouldn’t unnecessarily favour marriage of any kind with recognition, privelages and tax breaks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jesus wept.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That can’t believe a country in the supposed civilised world actually has to hold a referendum about this?. Makes the republic look pretty backward.

Makes the OP look a bit of an ignoramus.

EDIT: and this fellow:

It still doesn’t. See polygamy/polyandry/polyamory.

RobHilton
    Free Member

it shouldn’t unnecessarily favour marriage of any kind

Too right! At this year’s Download Festival I’m planning on marrying my bike in the inflatable church – question is which one…?

The answer:

polyamory

Rock & roll!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For a decision which would have been unthinkable (due to attitudes) 20 years ago this is a generational change especially in a country that has such a strong conservative church influence. Apart from the legal aspect that they need to have the referendum it shows the populations opinion is strong. In many ways those on the extreme makes the most noise (see the UK General Election threads) and what you are really interested in is the views of the general population.

samuri
    Free Member

Who should then?

I’m going to have a wild flailing stab in the dark here but let’s try, “The people who want to get married”

Rock & roll!!

I don’t know what kind of marriage they’re promoting but I’m all for it.

zomg

Having a written constitution which can’t be changed by parliament means constitutional reform has to be passed by the people (see current Westminster government approach on human rights for why this is a good idea).

Some of the articles of the Irish constitution were (unsurprisingly) added in less enlightened times, and will only be removed as society becomes more liberal. That is happening however, and is something to celebrate.

globalti
    Free Member

Can’t help wondering how many of the yes votes were cast by urban dwellers who live within easy reach of the polling stations while the more traditional, conservative and Catholic older people who live in remove villages and hamlets and would have voted against, weren’t able to get to vote.

I wonder what Catholic strongholds in Nigeria, Uganda and so on will make of this?

eltonerino

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet, but same sex marriage and abortions are still illegal in northern Ireland.

And if someone needs an abortion in NI, and goes to England for it (not sure about the other countries), the NHS won’t cover it as NI’s NHS should do it.

We really are very behind when it comes to not being a dick.

Sandwich

Globalti
    The rural vote got out according to reports but only one (in the Roscommon area) polled a majority no vote. It could be the start of dis-establishment of church from state.

tinybits
    Free Member

hora – Member
    The people should always choose.
    However if a turnout isnt a majority and there isnt an overwhelming majority winning I question whether referendums represent ALL the people.
    POSTED 9 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

This is joke right? oh it’s Hora, sadly I suspect it’s not.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well considering gay marriage has only been legal for a year in the UK – which is not in thrall to the Catholic church – I’d argue the Irish have done better than us.

I agree with the sentiment though. It’s shameful that more of us weren’t making our voices heard on this matter before, but then hindsight is a wonderful gift.

I wonder what Catholic strongholds in Nigeria, Uganda and so on will make of this?

Do you really? Really?

slowoldman

The state shouldn’t have any role in marriage.

It’s a legal status with a number of implications. That’s why it’s of interest to the state.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Referendum for such a contentious issue was absolutely the right thing to do. Puts the issue to bed once and for all.

Parts of Ireland have voted against divorce and abortion in similar votes in the past. This result is very significant

The state shouldn’t have any role in marriage.

As above once married you have a number of automatic rights, eg to apply to adopt children, inheritance tax. Also marriage is a legal status and the state determines a counties laws.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Did anyone else hear the headlines on R4 ?

“The people of Ireland haven’t just said ‘yes’, they’ve said ‘**** Yeah!'”

Turns out the issue wasn’t all that contentious…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Puts the issue to bed once and for all.

Your coat, sir…..

MoreCashThanDash

Marvellous example of political engagement, and a great eye opener for the Catholic church that it’s teachings are out of step with it’s congregation.

Great comment from a woman on the news “I’m no longer less than others”

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oh well, seems I’ve misread the situation, not for the first time and I’m sure it won’t be the last!. Didn’t realise they needed constitutional change.

Suitably scolded. 😀

richmars

Also good comment on BBC news from a politician (not sure which one), said he went against his religious teaching because one of his sons is gay. He couldn’t love him less then this other children, so supported the yes side.

eltonerino

Chakaping, you are confusing England with the UK again. Scotland has had same sex marriage for years and northern Ireland still doesn’t have it (no idea about Wales though)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Irish referendum on same sex marriage. Is it just me?’ is closed to new replies.