Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Irish Catholic Church
  • clubber
    Free Member

geetee – so, based on my understanding of your exerpt from The Crucible, you're suggesting false accusation by those who were abused? Seriously?

Dobbo

Not being religious myself I find it quite enlightening when the kids come home and talk about the faith that is taught.

So basically you are happy that you kids are being indoctrinated by religious mumbo jumbo that you don't believe in.

grumm
    Free Member

they put religion on an equal plane to learning.

Marvellous.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There are many many people who AREN'T religious who do good work. Religion does *not* give you morals or ethics nor does it affect your ability to "do good".

I never said it did. Point = Missed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i dont undesrtand how someone who does not believe in god would send their children to a religous school for moral guidance – it kind of suggests you /aethists dont have one of their one [ you know condoms, aids, no teaching of contraception /sex education] is better….. seems a very odd choice but clearly it is yours to make.

Geetee very inappropriate words for the description of the victims of sexual abuse. I suspect that anyone that this happened to [and the parents] would be pretty vengeful and may well have a point

Spaceman most subjects have black humour in them even death. However I think the systematic abuse of children and the cover up by a church is one of the few areas that is just not funny. Nor is genocide, the holocaust , rape of women …they are only shocking and horrific. Lets agree to disagree though and stay OT

surfer
    Free Member

many people that believe and lots of good that comes out of it,

Peter. When you say this, what exactly do you mean?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I'm a(non-practising) catholic. Although I went to a catholic school, where the teachers could be a bit f***ing brutal at times, I never saw or heard rumours of sexual abuse. However, it's been pretty obvious to everyone that there has been an undercurrent of paedophilia within the church for years, apparently ignored / brushed under the carpet by the vatican. The catholic church is a massively rich and powerful organisation, and sadly, it is my belief that this (the ongoing accumulation of money and power) is the main reason behind the cover ups, and which is why I have chosen to turn my back on my given religion. Crisis of faith? I'll have one of them please…

crikey
    Free Member

Junk, the problem with education is that the religions have the market sewn up, not many atheist schools about really, are there?
    I take great pleasure in sending my sensible, totally non-indoctrinated kids to a school that prides itself on its religious creed, they do really well in RE lessons, and don't believe a word of it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I thought it was pretty self explanatory myself

(I typed out a great big reply but I can't be arsed with the argument. All you'll do is pick it to bits and I'm not getting involved. Bye)

Dobbo

many people that believe and lots of good that comes out of it,

It seems to me as if without their religion they would be unable to do any good. That's how it reads to me!!

nimrod2410
    Free Member

Junkyard.
    Kinn ell. You try and make a simple point on a forum and get chastised and in your case questioned for a choice of education that just happens to have religious connections.

Obviously I am a bad parent and sorry I dont meet your expectations 😉

clubber
    Free Member

You'd better go to confession to get forgiven and make everything alright, nimrod 😉

nimrod2410
    Free Member

Off to do my Hail Marys now!!

surfer
    Free Member

I thought it was pretty self explanatory myself

So did I, so did crazy-legs but now you appear to be backtracking.
    If you cant be arsed to comment on what you wrote (and it is not my intention to take it our of context) then maybe you shouldn't make the remark.
    I find it tiresome for people to assume that people of faith are somehow "better" or "kinder" as a result of their faith. You seem to be inferring this and that was what I was challenging.

Bye then

Junkyard
    Free Member

Obviously I am a bad parent and sorry I dont meet your expectations

Dont worry if the indoctrination education works on your kids they will forgive you and me.

nimrod2410
    Free Member

Junkyard.
    I neither need to explain or justify myself to you.
    So I wish you a good weekend.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I seemed to have missed this, anyone got a link to the story?

Junkyard
    Free Member
    MrNutt
    Free Member

hmmm surely the church should compensate the victims, its not like they are skint now is it!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

hmmm surely the church should compensate the victims, its not like they are skint now is it!

why do they need to compensate anyone? they've aplogised, so it's all ok now, donchaknow.

ransos
    Free Member

Actually, I don't think this has very much to do with religion. It's about people in authority abusing the trust and responsibility placed in them, and then covering it up.

clubber
    Free Member

Absolutely. In the same way that organised religion generally has little to do with religion and lots to do with power, control and money….

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Just think on what we could spend all the billions o that godbotherers give to their religions, wonder if the catholic church will help any of the victims out financially. It in no way atones for the sickening crimes, but it would give them one less burden to carry around, the vatician should get down into their vaults and raise some cash.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The traits of organised religion also include churches and bibles (for which you need power, control and money to create). You've got to abandon both churches and bibles if you really believe that there is a separation between religion and 'organised religion'. Otherwise imo the argument has as much credibility as when politicians blame success on their personal influence, and failings on external circumstances.

grievoustim
    Free Member

the catholic church is like a big organisation or business.

These organisations have a vested, collective interest to preserve the business or organisation – a kind of hive mentatlity that puts the need of "the business" or "the church" or "the masons" before the needs of the individual

there was an interesting documentary a few years ago about big business , and how if you look at the behaviour of the business in the same way you would look at a human, your conclusion would be that the business is a ruthless psychopath

you can apply the same argument to large religeous organisations – like the catholic church, scientologists etc.

teef
    Free Member

Don't just single out the Irish Catholic Church – I'm sure it's happening in every country in the world and all religions

I missed something – let's not just blame priests – as we've seen recently I'm sure they're are plenty of female child abusers as well. I know several people who were brought up in Catholic orphanages in the 1950s and to this day dislike Catholic Nuns.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Can someone please explain to me how the Irish Catholic Church differs from the Roman Catholic Church.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Also…I struggle with the mis-use of the word "catholic". I was brought up "C of E". Dad was church warden. Never missed a Sunday til I was 18.
    The Creed is emblazened in my mind…
    "We believe in one holy, catholic and apostolic Church."

When people refer to the Catholic church do they mean Roman Catholic?

Junkyard
    Free Member

neef

– I'm sure it's happening in every country in the world and all religions

EVIDENCE
    FC
    The Irish one is like a franchise of the roman one…it is just the RC church in Ireland there is no real dfierence allegiance to Pope and all that. you say Catholic = RC

catholic means universal henc ewhy you said it and what it means in your context

Know a lot for an aethist eh!

teef
    Free Member

Junkyard – Evidence

Humanity is the same the world over – no one society is better or worse than any other. I was visiting some friends in Spain a few years ago and they were telling me they was no child abuse in Spain as it was such a family orientated country. I think the statistics are that 80% of child abuse is in the family so I don't think their reasoning was sound.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I meant more the other religions bit as clearly sexual abuse occurs in every culture and society. However I am not awars of any examples as systematic/large scale by an institution /religion as those involving the catholic church are you ?
    All cultures are not equal some do this more than others…see scandanivian countries [low]compared to us[high] …no one knows why though wish we did.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Irish Catholic Church’ is closed to new replies.