Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Ireland. Talk to me… want to take the family on holiday there
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

This year I want to take the family on holiday to Ireland. When I was a nipper I remember going to Southern Ireland (near Cork, on the coast) and I loved it.

I'm looking on advice on what's good, anything to avoid? Is it expensive (I'm imagining it to be similar to here (Scotland). Where should we go with the kids etc. The kids are 5, 7 and 10.

I'm going to get the ferry and drive over, I know I can go using my driving license as ID therefor I don't need a passport. The wife also has a license but do the kids need passports?

Thanks

MrNutt
    Free Member

I stayed here a while ago and it was fantastic: http://www.ashford.ie/

Zedsdead
    Free Member

oops! wrong section. IF a mod sees this please delete as I'll repost in the other section…

Thanks

Blackhound

If you are driving to Ireland you don't need a passport but you do need some form of ID. I used my work pass! Not sure about the kids but would suggest they would not require anything.

The coast, particularly West, is preferred by me. From Giants Causeway round to Donegal is all stunning. Connemara is wild and wonderful if you get the weather and Co Clare near The Burren equally so (Try Lahinch perhaps). Then you head towards to Killarney and the Beara peninsular. The Islands, Achill, Arran and Clare all worth a visit.

Kids love the seaside and the mountains are near. People really friendly everywhere. On balance within distance of Galway would be good. You have a city near by and excellent scenery / coast to North and South of the city.

It is pricey though. 5e for Guinness in Dublin!

rebus
    Free Member

Me and my partner did a week's motorbike touring round south-west Ireland last year. We didn't have kids with us so can't advise you specifically about that. However, it IS expensive! We thought more expensive than here – averaged 150-200 euros a day for accomm and food, although we didn't book anywhere in advance so some nights we got bargains and some nights we ended up paying quite a lot.

We loved Kinsale which was very pretty, if a bit touristy, and also Kenmare which is just below the Ring of Kerry. We did the Ring of Kerry but were more impressed with the Beara Peninsula which is just below it (more unspoilt, more spectacular scenery and less people!). Hospitality and food is generally excellent where-ever you go. We also enjoyed Dingle (the town on the Dingle peninsula – which is a spectacular drive if you care to do it) which isn't the most picturesque town but has some good pubs and plenty of eateries. Dingle is also where they have the 'tame' dolphin in the harbour and they do boat trips to see it which the kids might like. When my girlfriend when on it she saw other dolphins too. They guarantee that you will see a dolphin or your money back usually. The highlight for us were the fabulous coast rides on the bike, the pubs, hospitality and food!

Waterford is a nice town, bigger than some of the others mentioned above, so plenty of choice of places to stay. We never went to Cork so can't give you any feedback on that. AVOID Killarney which is also on the edge of the Ring of Kerry but is very touristy and a bit tacky (all shamrocks and leprechauns….).

As far as accommodation, we tried everything really – hotels, B&Bs, pubs with rooms – and only had one iffy one. The rest were all good and any shortcomings were usually made up for by the atmosphere and helpfulness of staff.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Ireland. Talk to me… want to take the family on holiday there’ is closed to new replies.