Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ireland End to End
  • Dogsby

Hello All,

I am planning to do the Ireland End to End but from Mizen Head to the Giant’s Causeway. I am in the planning stage and intend to do the trip in June this year with Mrs D. There is plenty of advice and direction on the internet but I am having trouble getting the two of us and bikes to Mizen Head. We are coming from Belfast so the train to Dublin and then onwards to Cork seems to make sense but after that we seem to have to rely on the bus and they will only take bikes if there is room which is a worry.

Does anyone have any experience and I would also be interested in B&Bs around Mizen Head that do a good carbo-load breakfast and are not too far from the start!

Many thanks

Dogsby

Houns

Tick.

Hadn’t even thought about and Ireland end to end!

Dogsby

Houns,

I will let you know how we get on! We are off in June and plan to do it in four days.

Dogsby

DavidB
    Free Member

I’ve done Mizen to Malin. I rode from Cork to Mizen, only took a day. I got the overnight ferry from Wales to Cork, can you not do this instead of Belfast? (assume you are flying)

I wrote about it in this a bargin at 77p 😉

kilo

I’ve done Mizen to Malin. I rode from Cork to Mizen, only took a day. I got the overnight ferry from Wales to Cork, can you not do this instead of Belfast?

That ferry has been scrapped

eltonerino
    Free Member

If you are going through Newcastle (excellent views) and fancy a stop, give me a shout.

Dogsby

DavidB,

I have a copy of your book – an actual real copy – and really enjoyed it. I live in Belfast so getting the train to Dublin and then Cork makes sense.

Dogsby

Dogsby

eltonerino,

Many thanks for the offer but we are coming from South to North and swinging West through Enniskillen and Limavady before doing the last bit to the Causeway. Maybe Castlewellan sometime?

Dogsby

Dogsby

Well Mrs D and I completed the End to End (Mizen to Giant’s Causeway)last week in just over four days. I will try and write a full report but in the meantime if anyone needs any advice about the route or how to get there (this was the most complex bit) then please feel free to drop me a line.

It was an excellent experience and well worthwhile.

Dogsby

DavidB
    Free Member

Good show! I am tempted to go back and do this again, it was such an ace ride and really quiet roads.

Dogsby

DavidB,

I might join you!

johnmacnab
    Free Member

Cycling will be the easy bit! The public transport over here is in a different league – honestly you lot in SE England don’t know just how good you have it. Buses are very hit and miss but I’ve managed to get a bike on to a coach from Dublin Airport to Londonderry, even though this was more down to them having the space than anything else. The end to end is a classic, make sure you read up on local legends Tommy Smyth and Isabel Woods. Their stories are inspiring.

scotroutes

I really fancy this but I would likely want to take more circuitous route (and a bit more time) to make the travel worthwhile.

ajantom

Are the signs in rural Ireland still a random mixture of miles and kilometres, so you often have no idea how far it is to a given destination?

@ Scotroutes – If you’re in County Cork try and visit Cape Clear Island, most southerly inhabited part of Ireland. beautiful, about 100 residents, and 2 stonking pubs. I went up most of the west coast, south to north, about 8 years ago, great trip, one of the bits that really sticks in my mind is the road from Waterville on the west coast of Kerry through MacGillycuddy’s Reeks to Kilarney. Some amazing scenery 8)

fasgadh
    Free Member

I have done a couple of recent week long tours in Ireland, and hardly ever saw a sign in miles while in the Republic. Presumably they have all been exported to Irish pubs world wide.

If you have a laden touring bike, you may need to take it down the road to the causeway – I did and had an interesting chat with a jobsworth bus driver who did not like it one bit. There may be a secure parking place at the visitor centre, but I did not find it.

+1 for Clear btw.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ireland End to End’ is closed to new replies.