• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ireland
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

They just can’t go back to borders along the 6 counties, so essentially that can only mean borders between the uk and all of ireland, at airports and ports?

Defacto 32 county state?

You could only see ireland getting closer to the 6 counties, and the 6 counties getting further away from the uk in that respect over time.

Canny really see a scenario where the 6 counties doesn’t basically apply the rules of the EU?

Thoughts?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A ‘defacto’ United Ireland will be a complete nightmare, even in these moresults enlightened times. All the old troubles and troublemakers will resurface.
    Borders along the 6 counties will be preferable to that.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Hopefully they’ll vote to leave.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kilo

Not sure they’ll bother with borders it was always a bit porous so fixed frontier points will be a waste of time, don’t see a de facto 32 counties yet. I suspect they’ll just carry on as is. I don’t think they leave is a good result for th six counties as they try to forge an identity as a tourist destination, area of culture etc

jimjam
    Free Member

Support for dissident republicans is strongest in border areas. If there is any kind of physical border reinstated and policed it’ll be a ready made target. Easy to attack and “justifiable” to their supporters.

kilo

If I remember correctly from my childhood the border posts which were actual revenue posts rather than military checkpoints were all on the republic side, I don’t think there’s the appetite or probably the cash in the south to reintroduce these. There’s always been eu fraud along the border , dodgy cattle movements etc, so plus ca change

jimjam
    Free Member

kilo
    If I remember correctly from my childhood the border posts which were actual revenue posts rather than military checkpoints were all on the republic side,

All major crossings had a british army checkpoint, a british customs post and an irish customs post.

kilo

My memory is a bit dodgy then :-). Don’t think UKBA and BPC are in any position to implement border controls in the north, not entirely sure they have much presence in the north, maybe a little at the airports but that’ll be it

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ireland’ is closed to new replies.