Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Iran and current internal unrest
  • Pigface
    Free Member

How far is this going to go do you think?

cranberry
    Free Member

Probably not that far, though 2 people have already been shot dead and this blamed on “foreign forces”.

It would be wonderful to get to a stage where Iran is a secular and modern country, but I just don’t see the change coming any time soon, regardless of the increasing pressure from a young generation that wants more freedom and less religion.

cranberry
    Free Member

Well, it is continuing, 9 more people died overnight ( official figures ). The protesters are very brave people indeed.

Apparently sections of the crowds have been shouting “death to the ayatolla” and “bring back the Shah”!.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binners

I think it’s refreshing to see the younger generation in a Muslim country rejecting hardline islamism.

At the end of the day it’s just an authoritarian regime. The fact that’s its wrapped up in religion doesn’t make it any easier to swallow Than North Korean despotism if you’re living under it

nickc

Iran regime has been blaming Takfiri Groups (code for Sunni extremists), and Foreign Intelligence (code for Saudi Arabia) for fomenting the un-rest, which gives them the leeway they need to come down hard on it. The calls for Elections/democracy coming from S.A. controlled newspapers this morning gave me a wry chuckle.

Has the possibily of going the way of Syria, which would be a bloody (ho ho) disaster.

MSP

Looks like they are actually protesting the same problems we have in western “democracies” ie, the older generations have all the wealth, no jobs and future for the young.

binners

They’re irony filter clearly isn’t working if they’re keeping a straight face while accusing ‘Foreign Powers’ of interfering in their affairs.

Not like they’ve been doing a lot of that themselves

Poopscoop

MSP – Member
    Looks like they are actually protesting the same problems we have in western “democracies” ie, the older generations have all the wealth, no jobs and future for the young.

Spot on. Some things are universal.

dissonance

I think it’s refreshing to see the younger generation in a Muslim country rejecting hardline islamism.

Iran has always been fairly complex though. That it ended up as hardline Muslim was mostly down to the better organisation of Khomeini group and the fragmentation of the other groups.

dissonance

Not like they’ve been doing a lot of that themselves

To be fair I think pretty much every government takes that approach though.
    Apart from about foreign interference which helped them get to power.

jimjam
    Free Member

MSP – Member

I can’t remember where I read it but apparently one of the key factors was the passing of a law that would mean women no longer faced arrest for not wearing head scarfs. This prompted a back lash from traditionalists and pro-regime groups who held 1500 rallies across Iran commemorating the supression of the 2009 protests. Essentially taunting people who want to see reform.

Economic factors are probably also very real, but when it comes to freedom of religion, freedom of expression and freedom of faith we don’t actually have the same problem in western democracies.

jimjam
    Free Member

This video is trending on Twitter at the minute – the young woman apparently took off her hijab and started waving it in front of troops

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZScVZR78JKs[/video]

(youtube vid since I don’t think twitter vids work)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Iran and current internal unrest’ is closed to new replies.