Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • ipod v sony mp3
  • mollski
    Free Member

im going to buy my bro 1 0f the above for his 40th his music mad which should i buy him and why which is the best to use upload music etc?

TheGingerOne

I'd recommend the Sony as it is so much easier to use – proper drag and drop from windows, or you can use Windows Media Player. Plus it plays tunes in a number of formats. Also cheaper and better sound quality (in my view).

thehustler
    Free Member

really depends what ipod, a nano or similar the sony is better value for money, if your going touch well it does so much more than just play music

CountZero

The iPod has 'proper drag-and-drop', in iTunes you just select manual management of music and video. That's what I do with my iPod, Nano and iPhone, as I don't want everything in iTunes going onto the device. iPods will also play at least two formats, mp3, the most common download format, as well as AAC and AAC+, which are non-proprietory file formats otherwise known as MP4, designed as a higher quality replacement for MP3.
    as far as sound quality as concerned, there is no substantial difference between iPods and most other players, other than that caused by the headphones supplied. As Sony actually make their own 'phones, theirs obviously have the edge. The fact is that most people happily get their own 'phones as supplied ones aren't guaranteed to be be to everyone's taste anyway. Sony's music handling GUI has always been notoriously shonky, but their players are all very well made. I have no real issues with Sony, I have and have had, many Sony products, but the simple fact is the iPod's controls are the easiest and most intuitive of any music player around. Apple's English designer, Jonathan Ive, is probably the finest industrial designer in the world, and having used Apple products for the last fifteen years, and an iPod for the last four, there's nothing else to match.
    Oh, and nobody else does a 160Gb player.

Mackem

Has to be said, the latest itunes is a big fat pile of crap (ipod and itunes tend to go in hand unfortunately). Sony stuff just works. Doesnt look as nice as an ipod, but i'd happily swap my ipod for a Sony.

downshep

After our Creative players died, we bought a Nano 4G and a Classic 120Gb. The devices themselves are well made and have an intuitive UI. SQ via the same earphones(Senn CX400) isn't much different from Creative, perhaps slightly less pure and a bit more bass heavy. Where Apple scores big time is lossless files on the classic played through a line out. Far better sound than hooking active speakers up to headphone socket. Itunes is a pain to install and use on a windows PC. I have since bought my mum a 16 gig Sony S639 as she has WMP on her PC. Newer Sony's can drag and drop files, they don't use the clunky sonic stage software anymre. SQ is fantastic and well beyond any Ipod, lossless or not.

golfcurry
    Free Member

have had loads of ipods and ended up with battery problems and they seem to lose connection to itunes.
    I did use a sony mo3 for the last 2 years until i dropped it whilst out riding now i've gone to a creative ZEN the good thing about this is you choose your music folders on your pc and it automatically drops them into the creative software program it sees lots of different music formats.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

16 gig S639 here too as I've sacked my IPOD off.

I got sick of I-tunes software.

Now I am enjoying much better sound quality and simple drag / drop from windows media player.

DrJ

Has to be said, the latest itunes is a big fat pile of crap

Hard to understand why people have such a bee in their bonnets about iTunes. I never had a problem with it – it just does what it is supposed to.

retro83
    Free Member

Sony stuff just works.

😆

grim168
    Free Member

Just got a sony after using an old ipod mini for years. Ipod more solid but i prefer the sony. Its easier and sounds better. Plus I also hate itunes. Why make something more complicated than it needs to be.

Graham

Ps i bought it from argos clearance on ebay. half the price of amazon and full guarantee

takisawa2

Can I, a complete technology luddite, ask a question…the iPod Touch, (the one that looks like an iPhone but isnt), can it be used as a web browser via WiFi ?

TooTall
    Free Member

Wifey has the ipod, I have Sony. Sony sounds so much better and I don't have to buy into the Apple way of life and be forced to do everything their way.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Same as TooTall, wife and son have ipods, my daughter and myself have sony's. The ipods are simple to operate and itunes does the job ok but its a bit of a pain initialy. I have had the same sony for about 3-4 years now and it still gets heavy use (an hour a day for commute-and dont tell me I'm an idiot because …. I know I am) It has the sonic stage software to load the music on and its just like itunes really, but for me the sony wins hands down, simpler controls due to a few more buttons, better quality of music through headphones (original headphones great, got replacement ones -sony- and even better) battery life is still fantastic (better than ipods), however my daughters sony is one of the newer ones (drag and drop) and a bit cheaper and I dont rate is as good, battery life not as good and less well built IMO.
    we also have a family ipod (160GB) that gets used for the home stereo and the car and theres nothing else that will do that job.
    So OP, if your bro will use it as a personal stereo get a sony, if it'll be hooked to his house and car get an ipod.
    Just my opinion.

MRanger156
    Free Member

If you want large capasity then your forced to buy iPod. I've had both – current iPod Classic and an old HD5 sony.

iPod:
    Large capasity
    Easy to use
    Good sound quality
    Wide range of accessories

Sony
    Slightly better sound quaility
    Bullet proof, will last longer

DaRC_L

I used to have Creative Zen and looked at the Sony – but when it comes to aftermarket speakers the B&W Zeppelin sent me to the Ipod.

DezB
    Free Member

The 2 people I know who had Sonys have both ditched them for iPods now. Better capacity and sound they say.
    I always thought Sonic Stage was horrendous when I used it for minidiscs.
    iTunes is fine if you sleect the right options.

slowjo
    Free Member

which all goes to prove that it is entirely subjective.

As with bikes, best thing is to try them and see which one you like best.

Jamie
    Free Member

I don't have to buy into the Apple way of life and be forced to do everything their way.

Good for you! Sticking it to the man by using a Sony.

*sigh*

TooTall
    Free Member

It isn't about rebellion – it is about not having to use their software (which is awful) just to use their hardware (which is really well designed, but not great and the audio quality is fair to middling).

The newer Sony don't have Sonic Stage and are much better for it.

tails
    Free Member

Good for you! Sticking it to the man by using a Sony.

😆

DezB
    Free Member

"Apple way of life" ? How bizarre!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I've never tried I-anything but I got a Sony MP3 player a year ago and have yet to find fault with it, except that the headphones that came with it don't fit my ears as well as the ones I got with my CD Walkman 10 years ago.
    I've bought leads for a few quid to plug it into the auxilary ports of both car and home stereos.

DrJ

it is about not having to use their software (which is awful)

Yet to see a sensible explanation of how iTunes is so bad.

spokebloke
    Free Member

Yet to see a sensible explanation of how iTunes is so bad.

It's not so bad – but it's the fact that you have to use it, or other software to manage music files (sharepod is free and much better). itunes is more of a store with a player tacked on to it.

The iPod has 'proper drag-and-drop', in iTunes you just select manual management of music and video.

Contradiction in terms. With the Sony you don't need any software at all to transfer files.

Like a few others I have both a Sony and an ipod – Sony wins hands down for sound quality, although line-out volume is lower than the ipod. Sony UI is just as good as the ipod.
    If you want huge storage, go for the ipod, if you want quality go for the Sony.

retro83
    Free Member

When you say 'sound quality' what do you mean? With the same headphones in both?

gonefishin
    Free Member

t's not so bad – but it's the fact that you have to use it, or other software to manage music files (sharepod is free and much better). itunes is more of a store with a player tacked on to it.

iTunes is free too. What exactly is it that sharepod does that iTunes doesn't

Contradiction in terms. With the Sony you don't need any software at all to transfer files.

I think you'll find you do. The software might just be Windows explorer or whatever the Linux equivalent is but to say that you don't need any software is patently wrong.

The Sony system may well be better, I've never used it but like DrJ I'v never heard a compelling reason as to why iTunes is so hated. Granted there are those running Open Source operating systems that don't like it, but that is more likely to do with the proprietary nature of the software rather than it's functionality.

Just had a look at the sharepod website and the only additional function that I can see is the ability to more music from an ipod to a computer. Not something that too important to me as I have all my music on my laptop as well as a backup another copy on an external HD but it may be important to some.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

With the Sony you don't need any software at all to transfer files.

I think in essence you're talking about using Windows Explorer (on a PC) to manage your music. To me that sounds a bit backwards – I'd rather have it all presented in a sortable, searchable list rather than clicking through folders.

grievoustim
    Free Member

never understood the iTunes hate – seems perfectly easy to use, intuitive and reliable to me

is it different/ less reliable when run on a PC or something?

the_lecht_rocks

i have problems dropping in mp3 files into itunes' music folder these days – have they modified this facility in the latest itunes version ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

never understood the iTunes hate – seems perfectly easy to use, intuitive and reliable to me

Nope, me neither…I just assumed it doesn't run so well on a PC…is this the case?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Don't you have to import the files into the library rather than just moving them?

diggers
    Free Member

Sansa Clip+

nickc

is it different/ less reliable when run on a PC or something?

Nope, my 8 year old daughter manages her music and videos more than happily, she buys stuff, creates playlists, downloads and edits her own movies, all without complaining about having to get sucked into "the Apple way of life"…In fact we all seem to be able to cope with it, my iphone, a touch, and a couple of nanos…all on a boggo PC

Methinks they doth protest too much

grantway
    Free Member

Just put it on your mobile phone cant see the point

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

nickc, you and I need to learn to stick it to the man a little more…clones we are!

mollski
    Free Member

THANKS TO ALL

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘ipod v sony mp3’ is closed to new replies.