• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by cp.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • IPOD Update, 6 quid!!!?
  • samuri
    Free Member

Has anyone connected to itunes recently? I’ve been prompted to upgrade to version 3 WHICH WILL COST ME 6 QUID!! I’ve already bought an ipod you feckers.

No, **** off. What am I missing out on? New videos, stereo wireless earphones, cut and paste functions (long awaited but I’m not paying out of principle), and a load of other crap.

i’m just waiting to be told I can no longer use ANYTHING in the world without upgrading to version 3 WHICH WILL COST ME 6 QUID!!!

Don’t do it, stay on version 2, make a stand.

JxL
    Free Member

You can still use 2.0 no problem.

Not really sure why they are charging iPod owners and not iPhone, but operating systems cost money to make (just like you would upgrade from Tiger to Leopard, or from Leopard to Snow Leopard).

samuri
    Free Member

iphones may have some regulatory controls in place to stop firmware upgrades being chargeable but it stinks a bit. Not yet, but maybe at some point ipod users will be forced to pay to upgrade. The vast majority of vendors don’t need paying to upgrade OS, windows being a prime example.

Oggles
    Free Member

It’s something to do with accounting rules IIRC, because the Touch isn’t paid for on a subscription basis like the iPhone. Any major upgrades that add function to the device need to be charged for. They are free to set the price, and it presumably covers their development costs. There was a firmware upgrade for some laptops to upgrade their wireless to 802.11N, they charged about £2 for it basically cos they have to charge something.

This one is cheaper than the 1.0 >2.0 upgrade though.

grumm
    Free Member

How many other MP3 players even offer upgrades with new features? No-one is forcing you to get it are they.

GrahamS

I’m pretty sure I paid to upgrade XP to Vista.

Apple did tje same thing for the iphone/touch OS2 release.
    I believe Apple’s line is that they are somehow forced by US tax law to charge a nominal fee for the major OS upgrades on iPods.

I have no idea how true this is tho.

Haze

Bluetooth Stereo might tempt me in…

GrahamS

Ars Technica did a nice round up of the new features if you want to decide if it is worth it:
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/06/hands-on-review-iphone-os-30-chock-full-of-changes.ars

for me, having cut’n’paste is worth six quid on its own, but there are a number of smaller changes that are also good (autofill of forms in Safari; email search; open links in new tabs etc)

andywhit
    Free Member

Ah, so the nasty “men” made them do it! lol

cp

it’s an upgrade to the OS – not bug fixes, so they have every right to charge, and IMO, 6quid is pretty cheap. like you say though, you can choose not to.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘IPOD Update, 6 quid!!!?’ is closed to new replies.