Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • iPod Touch screen repair recomendations
  • patricksingletrack
    Free Member

So our eldest decided to take his iPod Touch with him to the swimming pool and put it in the locker. When the locker was opened it crashed to the ground cracking the screen. Other than the cracked screen, case and functionality seem fine.

So now I’m looking for a repair service. However, the companies i’ve found that advertise seem to have poor reviews.

Anyone had a good experience sending an iPod or iPhone for repair? Recommendations and “Avoid at all cost” warnings welcome.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

What model touch?

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

4th Gen

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I can do it if you want.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

That’s a very nice offer. Have you done it before? My only experience with replacing a camera screen ended with a dead camera and £30 of wasted parts.

Just a little concerned that if you accidentally broke it I would be left with shelling out for a new one. Hope you’re not offended, but was really looking for a repair service with warranty.

Am I worrying too much?

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Just watched this and decided it’s not a job I would do myself:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgcmZa5dCNo[/video]

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’ve done a few. Usually do iPhones. See here for verification I won’t run off with it. I don’t mind not doing it as its a pretty big PITA. But if you’re struggling let me know. IIRC The last one I did was £25 plus return post of your choice.

Just checked apples pricing to see if it’s worth an out of warranty replacement but it’s £86 at least

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Cheers wysiwyg – I’ll have a ponder for a bit.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

The hard bits not the screen swap, I find it’s getting the bloody thing to stick down properly so it’s flush and sealed. iPhone’s are screwed and clipped into place, touches are just 3m taped in.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Yep, that’s what put me off a home repair.

Even Singletrack’s Matt managed a iPhone 4 repair, though he did look a bit freaked by the time he was done.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Another problem with sending it off is screen qualities vary massively. You could send it off and the screen be as soft as cling film and get charged £50. Personally I’d get a £17 quid screen put in it and buy a bumper case. If it breaks again you’re only £17 away from it being fixed again if you DIY £25 fitted. Plus if you can’t get it stuck properly the case holds the screen down nicely. I’ve seen ppl superglue them and all sorts. That’s fine if you never have to remove it again….

snakebite
    Free Member

wysiwyg, I have both my lads ipod 4th gen with cracked screen and one wont switch off, on off button is jammed. Could you have a look and quote me a fix ? 😆

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Drop me an email rides_an_evil@hotmail.com

renton
    Free Member

I tired to do a screen swap on my lads 4th gen and it was an absolute pain in the a%$e ! i ended up breaking the whole bloody thing trying to save money!!

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Looks like I’ve found a reputable place in Middleton £35 overnight service.
    http://www.mobilephonesmanchester.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘iPod Touch screen repair recomendations’ is closed to new replies.