Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ipod (? touch) for 7 year old… thoughts?!
  • DrP

My lad (7 in Jan) is asking for an ipod for Christmas (well, he’s actually asking for an iphone, but he’s not having that..).

He wants this and headphones to listen to music etc. He’s also a youtube fan, and frequently uses our iPads to watch, well, people eating sweets basically…

I’m kind of out of the loop on iPod/touch etc.. Is an ipod Touch just like an iphone wihtout phone connection? I’m thinking we could link to spotify/itunes etc and give him songs and playlists, and story podcasts etc, but he can’t rack up data costs as he would on a phone..?

He’s 7, so could work an ipad for the past 6 1/2 years, so should be fine with the interface.

I’m not realy that ‘good’ at apple/itunes, but have seen there’s an account for kids you can limit, so this might be good.

Anyone else done similar for a youngster?

DrP

(and before you say give him a book/stick etc…. that’s all covered thanks! We were out making fires last night, and he’s a dab hand with the axe, so gets his fill of ‘real life’!)

big_scot_nanny

Yes, we have that. 3 kids (11, 9 and 5).

Set up our ‘family’ across the apple universe, with family subscription to apple music, ‘ask’ required to get apps etc.

Works very well, and of course you can set restrictions on the devices.

DrP

Set up our ‘family’ across the apple universe, with family subscription to apple music, ‘ask‘ required to get apps etc.

That’s the sort of feature I was hoping for, cheers.

DrP

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rocketman
    Free Member

Is an ipod Touch just like an iphone wihtout phone connection?

Sort of

Although 5/6th gen iPods look very similar to an iPhone 5/5s and share the same screen they’re a lot slower and of course are tied to wi-fi. Not too much of an issue for simple stuff such as email and messaging but websites (e.g. STW) take a long time to load and sometimes stall. App-based games again the simple ones are fine but anything fast-moving tends to struggle. YouTube in itself is not too bad while actually watching videos but navigation is slow. 5th gen iPod has dropped off Apple’s scale and is no longer being updated.

DezB
    Free Member

but websites (e.g. STW) take a long time to load and sometimes stall

I have a Touch and not experienced this at all. Not as quick as iPhone, but not noticeably slow.
    Mine’s mostly used to connect to my NAS to play music, occasional browsing and a bit of youtube on the loo. 😉
    Works fine, only BUT! is the battery life. Lasts ok until half way gone, then the power drains stupidly quickly.
    (You can actually use it as a phone if you set it up to use your iTunes account)

DezB
    Free Member

ps.

I’m thinking we could link to spotify/itunes etc and give him songs and playlists, and story podcasts etc, but he can’t rack up data costs as he would on a phone..?

Ideal for this, I reckon.

martinhutch

Would an iPhone work without a sim installed? OK, he’s only seven but in a couple of years’ time you might be wanting him to have a phone occasionally, and as mentioned above, the iPod is increasingly unsupported.

DezB
    Free Member

Would an iPhone work without a sim installed?

Was going to suggest that – old iPhone 5 maybe. If DrP is prepared to give his child something SECOND HAND for Christmas!! The horror 😆
    Probably just as pricey as a Touch too.
    I have an old iPhone4 in the kitchen and it plays from the NAS ok, but wouldn’t want to use for anything else.

rocketman
    Free Member

Would an iPhone work without a sim installed?

A new one or one that is being restored as new needs a SIM to get started but once it’s set up you can take the SIM out and it works fine.

Have an old 5 that I use like this for recording rides/walks

DrP

Was going to suggest that – old iPhone 5 maybe. If DrP is prepared to give his child something SECOND HAND for Christmas!! The horror

LOLZ.. he’s currently using my cracked-to-bits ipad 2…anything will be better!

I was thinking iphone without sim too – will have a see..

Cheers

SO it seems like it’s a good idea, just finalise if ipod/phone meets our needs 🙂

Cheers all

DrP

prettygreenparrot

Check out the Apple refurb store too. It often has refurbished ‘white box’ iPod touches for a little less than the retail prices. though as folks have pointed out you can get iPhone 5s and 5ss for the same or less depending on condition.

It’s ideal for the use you describe. My children used iPod touches until high school. They’ll do iMessage and FaceTime as well as all the apps. Just add WiFi. The Apple Family setup is easy and effective. The ‘ask’ function is neat.

prawny

Yeah good things for kids, eldest (8) has had an iPod touch for a few years, youngest (6) has just inherited her moms old 5s. They’re easyJet to lock down than android things, and nice and easy to use.

robowns
    Free Member

Just save yourself hassle in the long run and get an iPhone without a sim.

ulysse
    Free Member

My only question is why did you make him wait so long 😉
    Our almost 3 year old is using an old galaxy s3 without a SIM, but wifi connection and a Google Play account.
    I figure it’s in their future interest to be tech savvy, so start em young

DezB
    Free Member

who said he’s not ‘tech savvy’?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

For less than the cost of a Touch, you could get him a 7in Android tablet with a bigger screen and more apps and games, and just put iTunes on it for his music if you wish.

poolman
    Free Member

I have a couple of ipod touches for music in the car, storage mediums really. Also if I lose them no worries as no subscription. I don’t find them slow for browsing at all. My nexus 7 is like a slow thing on a slow day.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ipod (? touch) for 7 year old… thoughts?!’ is closed to new replies.