• This topic has 25 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Lanesra.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • iPod Touch – Any good?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

My daughter wants an ipod touch for her birthday.

Any good?

How reliable are they?

Cheers

Ken

UncleFred
    Free Member

love mine, goes everywhere with me. No problems so far.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

They're good. Very good.

Just don't put them through a 40 deg wash. 😯

HTTP404
    Free Member

Love mine. The operating system is so slick. The available games are cheap and cool too. Wi-fi Internet access is a bonus. The only thing is not all docking stations are compatible – so check before buying one of those.

macmclaren
    Free Member

yea they are smart bits of kit.

Ive just loaded skype onto mine so i can call home using wifi hotspots when im abroad.

Slick and easy to use.

Recommended

Huxley555
    Free Member

Have a nose at the cowon s9 or the new walkman, both are far better imo.

jam-bo

if you just want an mp3 player then there are plenty of other cheaper options.

if you want a games machine, organiser, web browser, etc etc then there really isn't much competition.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, as an MP3 player they're just pretty slick. If you want a handheld device that can do a million things, they're amazing. Where the ipod is superior to everything else I've seen is the app store, it's astounding the wealth of applications and games you can get completely free. Even the ones you need to pay for are often just 59p. And where else could you get civilization or simcity for a couple of quid?

As above, some docking stations aren't compatible but that usually just means they won't charge the device up when it's docked.

I'd say the only (very small complaint) I have with mine is battery life is a bit pants with wireless turned on, probably only 3 or 4 hours when using it.

fubar
    Free Member

They are pretty much an iPhone without the phone bit, so pretty amazing bits of kit in my opinion…great for music, games / applications and of course surfing the internet (if you have wireless broadband in your house).

I'd imagine they will suffer, like the iPhone, with 'poor' battery life so need regular charging (every day or two perhaps). Reliability is questionable in my mind as I had to exchange my iPhone (minor screen fault) and so have a few other people I know…that's fine whilst in warranty. Needs nursing…that big screen isn't going to like being dropped, sat on etc etc..

epicsteve
    Free Member

My daughter loves hers and it's still going strong after about 18 months or so.

Haze

Just don't put them through a 40 deg wash

Or put them in your non-waterproof rucksack on a jaunt up Snowdon 😳

quincy
    Free Member

Best bit of kit ive bought in a long time. Wireless internet compatability is fantastic. *****

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I'm tempted to buy one when i go on holiday. Does anyone know if the tax free dixons at heathrow still sells them??

matthewjb
    Free Member

My kids both have one.

If you get them through the reconditioned Apple store you can save £40 on the price for a brand new machine.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

just make sure she doesnt get it nicked… Schools are the worst places for ipods.

gee
    Free Member

Very, very sensitive to water. too sensitive for the real world IMO.

GB

jam-bo

as are most electronics.

ipod/iphones are no more susceptible than any other.

speaker2animals

I think it's an ace piece of kit. Wish my Windows powered laptop gave the same level of performance as my Touch. Mines almost 2 years old. Only ever had to reset once and reboot about half a dozen times in 21 months. Bloody PC I'm lucky not to have to do this every week!

If I ever get another job and some money when it's time for a new mobile phone it's very likely to be an iPhone as to me the Touch has done a great job of selling the technology to me. I'd certainly be happy to buy another one if ever required.

gee
    Free Member

Some are more equal than others. I have a 3 year old nano which has been through pissing rain on many a road ride and still works 100%. My itouch died after getting a couple of drops on it in a rucksack when I went for a walk. Stupid to have it in there, yes, but I just think it's rather fragile. Got a blackberry and a new Nano now seeing how many smashed itouch/iphone screen I've seen at work after being dropped too…

GB

CountZero

Trouble with the Touch/iPhone is they're all screen, so dropping one on a corner is obviously going to fracture the glass. A Nano, however is very much lighter, the screen isn't as large, and is plastic rather than glass. Big difference. Classics don't take kindly to being dropped, either, weight again making a big difference. Just make sure you handle the thing properly, and get a full case if there's going to be water around. Simples.

gohan
    Free Member

mine goes everywhere with me, v3 software opens up the use of bluetooth head phones which also go everywhere with me, would only part with it if you held a gun to my head and i would still fight you for it! best toy i ever bought!

Stu_N

HoratioHufnagel – Member

I'm tempted to buy one when i go on holiday. Does anyone know if the tax free dixons at heathrow still sells them??

Yes – and you can preorder over the web to make sure they have one waiting for you.

http://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=portable_audio.home&section=portable_audio&group=1003

soops
    Free Member

I am waiting for my classic to break so i can justify buying one.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Love mine. Ace. Replacement for my old broken iPod and frankly it blows that old thing away. Only problem is I now want an iPhone!

Posted from my itouch whilst watching tv.

ken_shields
    Free Member

thanks folks for the info

I think she may have changed her mind now…….FFS 🙄

Lanesra
    Free Member

Bought the 64gb touch the day it came out great piece of kit, the battery is not worth a toss though(lasts about 3-4 hrs max using everything i.e apps, wi-fi, videos).

If its for your daughter, i'd get her the nano as the new one has a video camera which is surprisingly good quality.

If I was to buy again, I'd pay the extra £200 and get the 3gs on PAYG as you kinda get used to some of the apps (or internet browsing) whilst using wifi and the lack of it whilst out and about can be a pain in the arse

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘iPod Touch – Any good?’ is closed to new replies.