Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • iPod OS Mapping
  • duckers
    Free Member

Some good reviews of mobile mapping software on outdoorsmagic, heres on for the iPod… (I havent used it so cant comment)
    http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6055

jam-bo

i have. even on a wireless connection its painfully slow and doesn’t cache so you cant even pre-load the areas you want.

CountZero

What’s needed is for someone like Viewranger to sell an App that will allow customers to download sections of OS map to their phone in the same way that you can over the ‘net at the moment. As the facility to allow in-app purchacing will be provided in OS3, currently in beta, due to be released next month, then there is no excuse for the likes of Anquet, Tracklogs, MemoryMap or Viewranger, or anyone else for that matter not to do a Mac/iPhone version. Selling the basic app for 59p, with a UK base map, then selling sections for the same £20 or so that they go for from the website would be ideal. C’mon people, get your act together, there’s a large Market waiting to be tapped.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    firestarter
    Free Member

count viewranger do that already for symbian phones i went online via my phone and ordered what i wanted and it went straight to my mobile 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Been using ViewRanger on a touch screen Nokia and it’s absolutely ace. Really quick, really easy to use. I asked ViewRanger about the iPhone and…

duckers
    Free Member

The reason I was looking at the mapping reviews on outdoorsmagic is I am due a phone upgrade want something to run an OS mapping application, currently I’m looking at nokias and windows mobiles, purely because of the size of the screens. Windows mobile is ideal as it runs memory map and I have tons of maps for that, but decent windows mobiles are expensive, even on contract, and the batteries are shite once you start running maps up (althought this applies to all mobiles; anyway I usually know where I am going, honest, and the GPS phone/OS mapping option is a get me out of trouble solution)…

Any more views on the best price/performance/reliability options welcome.

CountZero

Thing is I have an iPhone, I absolutely do not, under any circumstances want to go back to Nokia and Symbian. I have an N95 and it sucks. Nokia have nothing that comes close to iTunes or the App Store, plus syncing with my Mac is a pain having to use separate software. It’s so easy for someone with appropriate skills and the will to produce OS Mapping for the iPhone with native maps, but no-one seems to want to sell to lots of new customers. They are obviously so well off they don’t need a new revenue stream…

fisha
    Free Member

I think an issue is that the iPhone doesn’t really allow access to the filesytem of sorts where apps can save and file. So for a mapping system, where do you store the data which you download?

I’d love an OS mapping system for the iPhone

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘iPod OS Mapping’ is closed to new replies.