Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • ipod / itunes question
  • flashes
    Free Member

I've just bought an ipod, my partner has had one for a while so the itunes file on my PC is full of her stuff. I was advised to set up my tunes in a seperate folder for my stuff, so I copied across some stuff, but now I want to download my CD's. I've downloaded a CD to my pc, but it stores in Heather's (or the main itune) folder. I can copy it to my folder but then if I try deleting it from the main file (as Heather doesn't want it syced to her ipod)it deletes it from my folder as well.
    How can I download so it'll end up in my folder and on my ipod only. Please keep the replies really simple, up til now my hi fi is 1950 / 60's valve gear (and I ride a singlespeed)

richcc
    Free Member

Only sensible way I found to do this was to set up multiple users on the same PC this lets you have your own version of iTunes more easily(and your own pr)n stash – brucie bonus!)

richcc
    Free Member

Though it is nice to share!

flashes
    Free Member

oh no it isn't. Michael Jackson and George Michael, no ta

Rich, how do I set up multiple users?

jabbathehut
    Free Member

go to control panel > User Accounts > Manage user accounts.

Bang that was easy

nickc

I would suggest you have just one library, and just log into your own acct when you use the store, then all the music's in one place, easy.

Now Ipods, you can do this a couple of ways:

Either, on the summary page of the ipod check the box that says "manage music manually", the ipod won't sync to itunes, and you just drag and drop the tunes you want. OR, you create a playlist in itunes, and again on the music folder of the summary pages, set the ipod up to sync to your playlist only.

OK?

flashes
    Free Member

Nick,
    I've tried your second suggestion. But the problem is downloading. They are still going to the main (Heather's) folder and when she sycs she gets my Alabama 3, Gavin bryars, Can, etc, so she's not happy

Tracker1972
    Free Member

She needs to have a playlist of her own too? Instead of having everything?

flashes
    Free Member

That's an idea, so we both sync the stuff only in our own folders, genius

nickc

Yep, you'll have to adjust both ipods

flashes
    Free Member

How do you mean?
    I realise I'll have to sync manually, is that it?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

In iTunes, when the iPod is plugged in, you click on it in the list down the left, choose which playlist(s) and you are done.When you plug it back in it will just sync with that playlist each time until you change it.

kiwijohn

Or as Rich said, set up a new user. It really is a lot more painless. & saves me getting Kylie all over my ipod.

DrJ

Another vote for the "playlist" solution. I do that to synch 3 or 4 iPods with one account, for different people or different purposes, and it really couldn't be simpler. A lot less hassle than messing around making new user accounts (how do you deal with music you BOTH like, in that situation?).

snakebite
    Free Member

I have one library on my PC, ALL cds OR SITE DOWNLOADS GO THERE AUTOMATICALLY. When I log on and plug in the ipod, it syncs with my stuff. I add new stuff from the main library as and when. When Deb logs on, she syncs with her stuff. If she wants some new stuff, CD's auto add to the main library, amazon downloads go to the main library etc then add them as necessary. saves fun seeing as mine is 80 gig and hers is a little blue 8 gig thing……

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ipod / itunes question’ is closed to new replies.