Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • IPOD Imbecile – please help
  • tartanscarf

I'm sure this should be easy:

We've got two laptops and my Itunes collection is on the "old" one. We're away at the moment and have the new laptop with us. I've bought a few CD's, imported them onto the new one, but when I try to sync my Ipod all it asks is whether I want to delete the existing tracks on the Ipd and sync to the new one. All I really want to do is copy some of the tracks on the new laptop over onto my Ipod. I've already switched on Home sharing, but still can't do it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    TS/

coffeeking
    Free Member

Sorry, can't help there – never liked ippods. Can't you just drag and drop the MP3s onto the ipod as if it were a USB drive?

grievoustim
    Free Member

ipods can only be synched to one "home" version of itunes at a time

coffeeking
    Free Member

What a stupid idea!

stumpyjon

You're goosed, if you try and sync with the second laptop it will clear everything else off the iPod. Pretty major flaw in my opinion but probably something to do with DRM.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Don't 'synch' it as such.

I manage mine with my work PC, home PC and laptop. When you plug it in, on the page in iTunes that shows you a picture of your iPod, check the box that says 'Manage Music Manually' (or something like that).

It will then let you drag and drop tunes from your music on to your ipod

tracknicko
    Free Member

switch off auto sync on the original laptop. you want 'manually manage my music' then you can manually drag and drop on either machine. (obviously only ONTO the ipod though. cant use it to transfer music from one computer to the other…

grievoustim
    Free Member

good solution – but no use till you get home, and by then I imagine its no longer a problem as you can just load the new CDs to your old laptop!

porterclough
    Free Member

As ourkidsam and tracknico said, on new laptop turn off syncing ('manually manage my music') for your ipod in itunes.

Then drag music from itunes folder to ipod (can't go the other way, so you'll probably want to rip those CDs on your other computer when you get home, or copy them across from one machine to the other).

yoda
    Free Member

Oh dear…..turn on "show hidden files and folders" in your folder settings.
    Your ipod will then appear as just a harddrive and music can be dragged from it and placed thereupon!
    The music dragged from it will be named in some weird ipod read only format and not the proper song names.
    there is some free ware out there to rename your tracks though, just google for it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘IPOD Imbecile – please help’ is closed to new replies.