Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • iPhones – tell a Luddite about 'em.
  • MrSparkle

Just got my new works phone – an iPhone 3GS. These seem to be popular with modern folk so convince somebody who was happy with a Nokia 1, what is so good about ’em. Also steer me towards some cool Apps, eh. ;0)

alfabus
    Free Member

do you use gmail?

if you do, get your phone set up to sync your contacts, mail and calendar with google… no plugging in necessary, your online stuff will be exactly the same as what you see on your phone at all times. best thing about my iphone, I can see my calendar and contacts anywhere, and update them at either end, with changes propogated.

if you dont…. you should switch!

Dave

GrahamS

(you don’t need gmail to do that)

alfabus
    Free Member

(yeah, I know, but it is the easiest way, and he said he’s a luddite)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Buy a charger for your home, your office, you laptop, the train, the plane

basically anywhere you might need to use the phone as the battery life is measured in seconds when you actually try and use it. I have been made to have one by work and it is carp

MrSparkle

(the luddite has already synced his contacts from outlook. ssh)
    Come on with the Apps!

damo2576
    Free Member
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you like simple, addicive games, try Angry Birds and Cut the Rope. Both are brilliant! 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

If you like simple, addicive games, try Angry Birds and Cut the Rope. Both are brilliant!

Ignore this advice. Otherwise you will never get anything done. 😉

Oh and Angry Birds – Halloween Edition is out now.

jam-bo

I get about two days use on average and a day if I’m using it heavily.

Turn off push email and get them when you want. Makes a massive difference to your life and the battery life.

alfabus
    Free Member

one off syncing contacts with outlook is not the same as setting them to activesync from whatever your chosen provider is.

Spongebob
    Free Member

iPhones – tell a Luddite about ’em.

They are for people just like you!

(assuming you have lots of money, or no clue how to manage money)

GrahamS

If your outlook is connecting to an exchange server then you can hook your iPhone to that exchange server and your contacts, calendar and mail can sync automatically over-the-air.

khani
    Free Member

I bubble
    Photobucket
    Paypal
    eBay
    eBay selling

MrSparkle

Yep, that’s what it’s doing.

alfabus
    Free Member

ah cool… all good then.

McHamish
    Free Member

If you don’t experience similar battery life to your last Nokia phone, switch off 3G and wireless, and only use it for phoning and texts. It’ll last longer, but then what’s the point of having an iPhone?

Apps I use a lot;

mSecure
    iFitness
    RoundTimer
    Facebook
    Shazam
    Kindle (until i bought a Kindle)
    Solitaire

Apps my wife uses a lot on my phone;

Talking Tom
    Bejeweled 2
    Angry Birds

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh and Angry Birds – Halloween Edition is out now.

I know! But I’ve only just bought Cut the Rope and I don’t have the time in my life for more twittering little birds right now! Arrrggghhh!

GrahamS

Oh come on, Cut The Rope was good but it took about an hour to get three stars on everything. Angry Birds is far more annoying challenging.

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh, Fragger is another casual gaming gem for 0.59p

MrSparkle

They are for people just like you!

(assuming you have lots of money, or no clue how to manage money)
    Huh? Pour quoi?

nickc

As an aside Angry Birds, the little blue bird that splits into 3…What do we think it’s saying when it’s launched?

yossarian
    Free Member

Hungry shark is fun too

Been using mine for a few weeks after having an lg Renoir. The difference is measurable in years.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Doodle jump is hyped up rubbish. Angry birds saps time and life away, also try: bejewled 2, paper bridge, hipstamatic, iFitness. And be prepared for jealous HTC owners to tell you that thier phones better than yours and reel off some stats to prove this.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Oh, Fragger is another casual gaming gem for 0.59p

It’s free over at Miniclip….

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned MX Mayhem yet? You can do back flips!

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s free over at Miniclip….

I am sure it is. Any idea of how to access it while on the loo or sitting on a train would be just great.

Cougar

Laptop?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Cougar has it!! 😆

I can waste hours on Gov’nor of Poker too (demo only – the full App looks capable of demolishing massive amounts of time….)

Jamie
    Free Member

Laptop

I am not carrying a laptop around just so I can play fragger on the bog 8)

King-ocelot
    Free Member

High noon reloaded is fun to kill time but drains your battery and you look like a plank ‘holstering your iphone’ perhaps one for when your sitting on the loo

Cougar

Cougar has it!!

No I haven’t, I got some cream from the doctor and it cleared up.

jackberesford
    Free Member

Red laser app (barcode scanner) is completely pointless but pretty cool.
    Other apps I use:

eBay
    Gorllacam
    Facebook
    Doodle Jump
    Fall down
    TV guide
    Bubblefree

CountZero

Red laser app (barcode scanner) is completely pointless but pretty cool.

Eh? What’s pointless about being able to zap a barcode on a book, cd or DVD at the moment you spot it in the shop, get alternative pretty much straight away, and be able to buy when you want. I scanned Blonde Redhead’s new album in HMV last Saturday, marked up at £14, got an alternative price of £6.48 straight away. Yes, I could Google it, but the scan is much, much quicker. Amazon have adopted the scan mode as well.
    Live Earth HD is a really nice app, UK Map with free 1:25 and 10k OS mapping is very good, CoPilot Live works well for £20, Stanza, Kindle, ereader are all good for ebooks; it’s worth having all three, as well as iBooks because some books are restricted geographically by your credit card address, and Kindle and iBooks gets around that.

GrahamS

Have you played with Google Goggles, part of the google app?

Sod scanning barcodes, just take a photo of what you are interested in, google figures out what it is and gives you details.

It’s brilliant – and a little scary.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I thought my company iPhone 3GS fun at first but now the novely has worn off and I don’t use the apps a lot all I’ve been left with is a bulky and not very good phone.

grahamh
    Free Member
    King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’d hardly say that a 3gs is bulky

GrahamS

I don’t use the apps a lot all I’ve been left with is a bulky and not very good phone.

Not sure why you wouldn’t use the apps much. Surely thats pretty much the entire point of the phone. Isn’t there anything in the 300,000 apps now available that you’d find useful or entertaining??

Even without the apps it is still a great little device for web, email, music, video, podcasts, reading, etc so hardly just a “not very good phone”.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Even without the apps it is still a great little device for web, email, music, video, podcasts, reading, etc so hardly just a “not very good phone”.

It’s ok for reading emails (although not great for responding) but the screen is too small (and the response too slow) for frequent web browsing. It’s an ok music player but I already have an iPod and that has a higher capacity and, being dedicated, much better controls. I downloaded some books onto it but the screen is too small for anything other than very occasional use – once you’ve used a Kindle you’re not likely to use the iPhone again. Don’t find watching videos etc. on such a small screen much use either.

I’d forgive it all that if it was a decent phone but its reception isn’t great and I get a much higher number of dropped calls than I did with my previous phone. I carry an old Nokia E51 than I switch the SIM card to when the iPhone doesn’t have a reception and nearly always find that it does get a decent reception. The battery also isn’t great, although if I turn pretty much everything off I can just about get through a day without recharging as long as I don’t use the phone much.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘iPhones – tell a Luddite about 'em.’ is closed to new replies.