• This topic has 459 replies, 96 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 460 total)
  • iPhone X
  • miketually
    Free Member

Those cost per usage stats(figures/estimates) ^^ are quite a realistic way of looking at the cost of the iPhone.

Or any phone.

I pay a tenner a month more to have my current phone (Honor 8) than I would to be SIM only, so about £120 a year, £240 for the two year contract or around 30p per day. It’s my main computing device when not at work, my sat nav, bike GPS, camera, stereo (via a Bluetooth speaker), Smart TV enabler (via a Chromecast), flashlight when I put the chickens away.

Bargain! Over two years, a £1000 phone only comes to £1.40 a day over two years, even assuming no resale value. I’d not pay it, but it’s not unreasonable.

GrahamS

I’d pay a grand for a PC and I’d use that far less than my phone. So I agree with part of the cost/benefit argument.

BUT.. I already have a phone that does all that I need.

So the cost/benefit needs to consider that: assuming I could sell my phone for ~£200, would a new iPhone X give me ~£800 worth of benefit over that previous model?

For me the answer is no.

But then my previous iPhone 4S lasted me five years. Chances are I’ll probably just pick up an iPhone X in four or five years for a couple of hundred quid. By that time all the new features will be well supported, the bugs will be ironed out, and the accessories will be cheaper too.

Jamie
    Free Member

My worry with phones is they are more likely to get damaged than a desktop/laptop. As such I don’t want to spend tonnes on them for what probably is minimal gains. A foot into the door of the Apple eco system I am invested in, and I am happy. Usually this means second hand or waiting for prices to go down. I did get current SE new, but it was discounted through a cheeky O2 loophole.

I’m the same with watches. Having thousands of pounds on ones wrists just ready to swing into a door frame. Nooooooo.

I guess I am quite fatalistic…heh

plyphon
    Free Member

I’m the same with watches. Having thousands of pounds on ones wrists just ready to swing into a door frame. Nooooooo.

You can test this quite easily – go to Asda and buy the cheapest watch you can find. £3? Maybe cheaper!

Wear it for a month and count how many time you bash it into things.

Likewise for phones – yes, it does happen, but then again so do car crashes and plane fires. In reality, it’s not that big of an issue unless you have some sort of precondition that makes you drop things more than the average.

oikeith

You can test this quite easily – go to Asda and buy the cheapest watch you can find. £3? Maybe cheaper!

Wear it for a month and count how many time you bash it into things.

I wore casio watches for years no issues, picked up an apple watch, caught it on a door frame when unloading the shopping and scratched it and then when laying on the floor looking under my car knocked it on the concrete and it cracked…

jambalaya
    Free Member

IPhone X maybe £900 but the 8 will be £700 (?). I’d pay £700 but not £900 for a “phone” (**). As above I paid £600 for my 6 and could sell it for £150-200 after 3 years. I spend more money on beer !

(**) I make/receive less than 5 calls a week

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As above I paid £600 for my 6 and could sell it for £150-200 after 3 years. I spend more money on beer !

That is the Apple deposit. My Nexus cost a lot less than the iphone of the day, was better specced and I could still sell it but it will double as a spare for visitors and travel.

miketually
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever broken a phone. Couple of minor screen/back scratches, some wear and tear on the corners, but nothing major.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve only ever killed one, and that was by putting a 4S through the washing machine.

Tempered glass protectors and slim cases have taken care of anything else. Plus keeps them looking mint for sale.

MSP

My iphone 6s still looks like new, I don’t use a case or a screen protector and stick it in my pocket with keys and coins etc.

I don’t see upgrading this time, the technology is now pretty mature, and their seems no need to up the spec from my current phone. There would have to be a surprising new feature for me to thing about doing so.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There would have to be a surprising new feature for me to thing about doing so.

Better to try and work out what you don’t have that you want?
    The facial recognition thing from earlier great but honestly got bored of having to look at the phone to open it (you look like an idiot) and finger print works 9/10 times in about a second for me. Measuring rooms, no idea when I’d use that.
    Fast charging, like the Motorola idea of clip on additional parts like battery or projector, camera doesn’t need to be better, it’s as good really as a mo ileostomy should get and lens etc will always limit the quality more that’ll the mpix. Cloud removes the need for 100gb storage so what will make it better?

plyphon
    Free Member

My 6 has some minor scratches on the edges but nothing unexpected for 3 years of use. Screen is mint.

Personally, and my girlfriend will happily testify to this, I am much more paranoid about someone hitting/scratching/trolly-ing my car in Morrisons car park than I am about damaging my phone/watch/etc. Yet a lot of people, judging by how and where they park, don’t seem to share that worry.

ratherbeintobago

I think the last Microsoft phone could doc and be used a PC which I would prefer now Windows is so good but the phone itself and mobile version of Windows had pretty poor reviews.

Nice idea but by the time it got to market WP was dead. For most people’s work needs, surely mail, office and Horizon or similar are enough now?

MSP

so what will make it better?

a surprising new feature

The point is, there is nothing in the market that I see as an upgrade worth paying for. It is up to the designers and innovators to come up with something that makes me go “that’s a great idea I want it”. Everything else is just a nice feature to have when I do upgrade, but I expect my current phone to last a couple more years unless there is that surprising new feature.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Livestream, event kocks lff in 30 mins

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2017/

jimdubleyou

Livestream, event kocks lff in 30 mins

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2017/

Ideally, all the tech sites will have summarised it neatly for me by the time I get off the tube 🙂

zilog6128

Ideally, all the tech sites will have summarised it neatly for me by the time I get off the tube

+1 despite being pretty interested in all things Apple, not sat through one of these yet!

GrahamS

They go on a bit but can be quite interesting to sit through sometimes, if only as an exercise in learning about good presentation and how to build hype.

bikebouy
    Free Member

learning about good presentation and how to build hype

“We have iShiny New iPhone, u buy it””

Sums it up 😆

wilburt
    Free Member

The early Jobs ones were quite good.

Jamie
    Free Member

For those that want to fight the power…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt2OHQh0HoQ[/video]

Personally I’d rather lick sandpaper that watch these events.

The only impressive things about them is Apple’s ability to suck itself off so fervently for a prolonged period of time.

I guess that does take courage[/I].

GrahamS

The Live Chat on that video is pretty amusing.

Not sure they are all Apple faithful 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Ok. I am now watching it just to shout at the TV 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

Two fingers every time some fanboy says “game changer”.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Tim is spouting a lot of ****, eh?

Jamie
    Free Member

**** me.

I am only watching this to bitch….but holy shit, this is next level stroking.

How can you hype Siri when it’s still dumb as a box of frogs.

I have an iPhone, and Tim is making me hate myself now.

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s kind of my point, fall from table….cracked screen, fall out of pocket….cracked screen etc etc…my 5S did it, my 6 did it, my SE hasn’t done it yet but I’ve only had it since December so give it time.

Just for you, Deviant.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bionic 😀 😀 😀

sorry that is ridiculous

dirtyrider
    Free Member

super retina 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Well…that has to be better. Super is in the description.

Battery life of 5hrs and yours for £1k (probably).

wilburt
    Free Member

Phones..Meh
    Watch…Yeah

chewkw
    Free Member

Crikey £1,000 for mobile phone … 😯

edit: my mobile phone is only £30 PAYG and my call charges per year is about £30 max … nobody to call. 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

No new small phone.

You’re dead to me Apple.

Also, FaceiD? meh. What about if you sometimes wear glasses/grow a beard/break your nose? Ok, neural engine for that.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

jambalaya
    Free Member

LOL FaceID failed on the live demo !

Jamie
    Free Member

FailedID

rs
    Free Member

hoping there’s more to this than just animated emoji’s… that should be like an easter egg not a key feature.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

$50 billion worth of tech and their **** about with emoji’s – telling

Jamie
    Free Member

Heh….Apple just invented charging mats.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In had a Samsung with facial recognition about five years ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 460 total)

The topic ‘iPhone X’ is closed to new replies.